Azure Progress

Discussion about official Mozilla Firefox builds
RandyZie

Re: Azure Progress

Post by RandyZie »

GPU= graphics processing unit. Read that backwards, it's a unit that processes graphics. Without one, you can't output a display.
patrickjdempsey

Post by patrickjdempsey »

I know that... you guys honestly think I don't know what a GPU is??? I'm saying it doesn't have one WORTH MENTIONING. Although I must admit I have no idea what MPC-HC is, nor do I have any problems whatsoever with Classic mode... again I suspect those are all problems caused by having HWA enabled to begin with. When you disable ALL of the clap-trap it runs great... that's all I know.
Tip of the day: If it has "toolbar" in the name, it's crap.
What my avatar is about: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamonkey/addon/sea-fox/
_Alexander

Post by _Alexander »

patrickjdempsey wrote:I know that... you guys honestly think I don't know what a GPU is??? I'm saying it doesn't have one WORTH MENTIONING. Although I must admit I have no idea what MPC-HC is, nor do I have any problems whatsoever with Classic mode... again I suspect those are all problems caused by having HWA enabled to begin with. When you disable ALL of the clap-trap it runs great... that's all I know.

An OS interface which allows tearing is not modern, it is an aged widow at her last breath of air.

MPC-HC stands for Media Player Classic Home Cinema and is the de-facto best solution for playback of wide range of video formats on Windows with enthusiast level customization possible.

Hardware Acceleration is not clap-trap, its purpose is clear cut and functional given the right implementation. The GPU is used for operations where the CPU is incapable of providing on-par performance and vice-versa. There is the graphical components and the logical in software, one for GPU and other for CPU respectfully. Albeit, only a fool would not admit that the GPU is now more capable than ever.
http://magneticpudding.com/ <- My Blog
i5 3570k @ 4.5 Ghz / NV 660 / 32GB DDR3 / 1080p LCD / SSD (120 + 180) / W8 ||| Atom N270 / NV ION / 3GB DDR3 / SSD / 1366x768 / W8
RandyZie

Post by RandyZie »

well said alexander
dbcooper.dk

Post by dbcooper.dk »

MPC-HC is very popular, and in fact was shown as the mediaplayer used by a character on the TV show Homeland recently.

patrickjdempsey

Post by patrickjdempsey »

Ahhh... yeah I've been using Media Player Classic for ages... I just never call it MPC.... that stands for MASTER CONTROL PROGRAM and always will.

Ahh... so because I can't afford a fancy new computer, that makes me a fool? Sorry pal, but I think the fool's errand is creating software that isn't platform agnostic. One of the most important things that Firefox did for users was free them from the clutches of platform-dependent software. Digging into OS/hardware-specific solutions only serves to fragment development and fragment the user experience. And unless you are gamer or some kind of computer-obsessed ultra-nerd, most humans on the planet have no idea anything about their GPU and drivers and SHOULD NEVER HAVE TO. It makes marginal sense on mobile devices, but even there it's causing the build to be matched to the platform. IMO it's a sign of desperation and trendiness. I remember back in the 80's when games and software used direct addresses into video and memory space to attempt to speed themselves up and it created an unstable mess. Individual programs have no business being specific hardware-dependent.
Tip of the day: If it has "toolbar" in the name, it's crap.
What my avatar is about: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamonkey/addon/sea-fox/
_Alexander

Post by _Alexander »

patrickjdempsey wrote:Ahhh... yeah I've been using Media Player Classic for ages... I just never call it MPC.... that stands for MASTER CONTROL PROGRAM and always will.

Ahh... so because I can't afford a fancy new computer, that makes me a fool? Sorry pal, but I think the fool's errand is creating software that isn't platform agnostic. One of the most important things that Firefox did for users was free them from the clutches of platform-dependent software. Digging into OS/hardware-specific solutions only serves to fragment development and fragment the user experience. And unless you are gamer or some kind of computer-obsessed ultra-nerd, most humans on the planet have no idea anything about their GPU and drivers and SHOULD NEVER HAVE TO. It makes marginal sense on mobile devices, but even there it's causing the build to be matched to the platform. IMO it's a sign of desperation and trendiness. I remember back in the 80's when games and software used direct addresses into video and memory space to attempt to speed themselves up and it created an unstable mess. Individual programs have no business being specific hardware-dependent.

My netbook is not fancy and neither does it have a fancy GPU and still, without any doubt, hardware acceleration makes a significant _positive_ difference in non-Mozilla software. Hell, I bought it as an investment in upcoming HWA advancements for the web.

Actually, only a fool would not create platform specific software.
For example, software that refuses to, at least to some extent, fit in with the user interface philosophy and theme of the OS it runs on.
It shows that the developer is not considering the user and what the user needs.

For example using OpenGL on Windows is a very bad development decision.
On Windows OpenGL is an afterthought and is poorly supported by, say, Intel GPUs.
Take note that Intel GPUs are great for the majority of Windows users (flawless Video, Web, and GUI hardware acceleration).
Sticking to OpenGL because of some developer grudge against capitalism or Microsoft or just liking developing OpenGL more is a slap in the face to the user for whom you provided a product which crashes.

Yes most users do not have any idea about what the GPU does. This is OK. Hardware acceleration works flawlessly in Windows 7 and 8 and any other modern OS.

Please stop living in pre-7 era, embrace the light of modern development.

I think you are confusing the web design where prefixes are a plague with software development - those are separate.
i5 3570k @ 4.5 Ghz / NV 660 / 32GB DDR3 / 1080p LCD / SSD (120 + 180) / W8 ||| Atom N270 / NV ION / 3GB DDR3 / SSD / 1366x768 / W8
NVD

Post by NVD »

http://timothylottes.blogspot.com/2012/ ... l-now.html

Timothy Lottes works for Nvidia, very smart guy, created FXAA and also worked on TXAA.

Hera clearly doesn't know anything about OpenGL and he ignores the fact OpenGL is the defacto standard on every other OS. Just ignore Hera, clueless moron.
LoudNoise

Post by LoudNoise »

Knock off the personal attacks NVD.
Post wrangler
"Choose between the Food Select Feature or other Functions. If no food or function is chosen, Toast is the default."
_Alexander

Post by _Alexander »

NVD wrote:http://timothylottes.blogspot.com/2012/11/why-gl-now.html

Timothy Lottes works for Nvidia, very smart guy, created FXAA and also worked on TXAA.

Hera clearly doesn't know anything about OpenGL and he ignores the fact OpenGL is the defacto standard on every other OS. Just ignore Hera, clueless moron.

This article does not state anything along the lines of "OpenGL is native part of the Windows environment with excellent Intel GPU driver support and is used in all Microsoft products such as IE10"
If anything, the article says that the author likes XP, is butthurt that newer features are reserved for newer OS, and there is some consensus among commentators that DX is easier to develop for.

Thank you for wasting everyone's time. =D>

As I said, for best customer satisfaction (performance, stability, and visual show of care), Mozilla Firefox should fully utilize native to system APIs. That is all. To hug the CPU is cheap development and does not reward anyone.
NVD

Post by NVD »

You're the one that is wasting everyone's time with your inane comments. WebGL and WebM are open standards widely support by everyone except MS, they will always be part of Firefox and there's nothing you can do about it. OpenGL works fine on any OS where as the dying MS can't even get anyone to update to the failure that is Win8. iOS and Android both runs OpenGL.

And yeah, Mozilla uses native system APIs like Direct2D & DirectWrite and what does it get them? Endless grief from MS buggy half baked APIs. Just see the latest D2D/DW update installed by IE10 preview on Win7 causing font issues.

It's obvious your mental capacity for thinking is limited, no one is "butthurt" about an OS that no one is adopting.

http://tech.slashdot.org/story/13/01/01 ... than-vista

OpenGL runs on multiple OS and gives you full features without trying to artificially limit features to just users of the latest version of an OS or force upgrades just to pad MS financial results.
Omega X

Post by Omega X »

He's right about one thing. Those old Intel GPUs are god awful.
_Alexander

Post by _Alexander »

^
For gaming and, pretty much, for gaming exclusively. Otherwise they are very good and inexpensive.
If I didn't play games from time to time, I would stick to them exclusively - just like most other PC buyers.

NVD wrote:You're the one that is wasting everyone's time with your inane comments. WebGL and WebM are open standards widely support by everyone except MS, they will always be part of Firefox and there's nothing you can do about it. OpenGL works fine on any OS where as the dying MS can't even get anyone to update to the failure that is Win8. iOS and Android both runs OpenGL.

And yeah, Mozilla uses native system APIs like Direct2D & DirectWrite and what does it get them? Endless grief from MS buggy half baked APIs. Just see the latest D2D/DW update installed by IE10 preview on Win7 causing font issues.

It's obvious your mental capacity for thinking is limited, no one is "butthurt" about an OS that no one is adopting.

http://tech.slashdot.org/story/13/01/01 ... than-vista

OpenGL runs on multiple OS and gives you full features without trying to artificially limit features to just users of the latest version of an OS or force upgrades just to pad MS financial results.

Obvious, derailing and trolling attempt.

Web[M/GL] has nothing to do with the current discussion and are web problems like CSS prefixes.
WebM has nothing to do with the GPU. WebGL and WebM are NOT standards. WebGL is run though ANGLE (Read: DirectX) on Windows.

Bringing up AMD decision to abandon their 4xxx drivers as well as bringing up non-RTM updates has little to do with this discussion.

What does Windows 8 has to do with anything? Direct2D is available for Vista and 7.

You also just hate Microsoft, which again, is simply WEAK trolling.

[-X [-X [-X [-X
Last edited by _Alexander on January 12th, 2013, 7:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NVD

Post by NVD »

http://www.khronos.org/webgl/

WebGL is a cross-platform, royalty-free web standard

Stay clueless as usual.

And you just love kissing up to MS. A troll like you don't even use Firefox, why don't you troll somewhere else?
_Alexander

Post by _Alexander »

NVD wrote:http://www.khronos.org/webgl/

WebGL is a cross-platform, royalty-free web standard

Stay clueless as usual.

And you just love kissing up to MS. A troll like you don't even use Firefox, why don't you troll somewhere else?

khronos is not W3C. Unless you can prove otherwise, there is nothing to argue.
And again what the f**k does web standards have to do with providing f**king blazing fast hardware accelerated browser?!
EDIT: Forum doesn't censor :(

Additionally, even if going off your little OpenGL fetish,
How can you justify using something which has no D2D equivalent and requires a bigger GPU blacklist as well as has genuine security concerns?
Better yet, what makes you think Mozilla can do any better with OpenGL?

Seriously you are pissing me off.