Azure Progress

Discussion about official Mozilla Firefox builds
patrickjdempsey

Re: Azure Progress

Post by patrickjdempsey »

Is that an Azure issue? I thought that was a general Firefox rendering issue?
Tip of the day: If it has "toolbar" in the name, it's crap.
What my avatar is about: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamonkey/addon/sea-fox/
iwod

Post by iwod »

patrickjdempsey wrote:Is that an Azure issue? I thought that was a general Firefox rendering issue?

Actually it was something related to Cairo I think. What version of Cairo is the current Firefox using?
Zlip792

Post by Zlip792 »

iwod wrote:
patrickjdempsey wrote:Is that an Azure issue? I thought that was a general Firefox rendering issue?

Actually it was something related to Cairo I think. What version of Cairo is the current Firefox using?

I think 1.10 source with customization from mozilla developers over it.
iwod

Post by iwod »

Ok i am lost. So is Azure completed yet?
Zlip792

Post by Zlip792 »

iwod wrote:Ok i am lost. So is Azure completed yet?

Nope, I think Azure API (Wrapper) is used for accelerating Canvas and also for accelerating "Thebes Layers" or simple "Layers".
On Windows, its backend is Cairo and Direct 2D (doubt about second one since I don't think Azure API is currently capable to directly call to GPU and Direct2D API of OS)
On Linux, Skia is as backed and it is enabled just a few days back (Skia OpenGL acceleration - don't know whether it is backout after it or not)
On Mac, it uses I think Skia API and Core Graphics API (not much know about it)

So it is still long way for Azure API to reach amazing stage. Also forget about Cairo API, I don't think they are intended to continue with it, they will remove it once they are capable to call for Direct2D directly so they can do DirectWrite font thingy without Cairo need and then provide all other acceleration through Skia. Mozilla developers are going for Skia as backend.

This is what my fragile mind information. If somewhere wrong, please correct rather than bash me. Human errors can happen.

EDIT: I suggest reading main Graphics team developer blog for clearing some info: http://www.basschouten.com/blog1.php
NVD

Post by NVD »

Removed.
Last edited by NVD on January 5th, 2013, 3:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Omega X

Post by Omega X »

Zlip792 wrote:
iwod wrote:Ok i am lost. So is Azure completed yet?

Nope, I think Azure API (Wrapper) is used for accelerating Canvas and also for accelerating "Thebes Layers" or simple "Layers".
On Windows, its backend is Cairo and Direct 2D (doubt about second one since I don't think Azure API is currently capable to directly call to GPU and Direct2D API of OS)
On Linux, Skia is as backed and it is enabled just a few days back (Skia OpenGL acceleration - don't know whether it is backout after it or not)
On Mac, it uses I think Skia API and Core Graphics API (not much know about it)

So it is still long way for Azure API to reach amazing stage. Also forget about Cairo API, I don't think they are intended to continue with it, they will remove it once they are capable to call for Direct2D directly so they can do DirectWrite font thingy without Cairo need and then provide all other acceleration through Skia. Mozilla developers are going for Skia as backend.

This is what my fragile mind information. If somewhere wrong, please correct rather than bash me. Human errors can happen.

EDIT: I suggest reading main Graphics team developer blog for clearing some info: http://www.basschouten.com/blog1.php

Azure API is used directly for 2d canvas. The wrapper is for Thebes Layers.
Its Azure Wrapper and Direct 2D for Windows 6.x. Windows XP is on Cairo still.

AFAIK, much Azure stuff is on the back burner for OMTC.
_Alexander

Post by _Alexander »

There have been some bugs recently focusing on Firefox being horrible with gradients.
http://magneticpudding.com/ <- My Blog
i5 3570k @ 4.5 Ghz / NV 660 / 32GB DDR3 / 1080p LCD / SSD (120 + 180) / W8 ||| Atom N270 / NV ION / 3GB DDR3 / SSD / 1366x768 / W8
Grantius

Post by Grantius »

_Alexander wrote:There have been some bugs recently focusing on Firefox being horrible with gradients.

Which ones?
Micro gaming box: AMD A10-7800 APU, 8gb RAM M350 ITX case (size of a book), Windows 10/Ubuntu
Tablet/Laptop: Asus Transformer T100, Intel Atom 2GB RAM, Windows 10 x86
Mobile:Xiaomi Redmi Note 3 Pro
_Alexander

Post by _Alexander »

http://magneticpudding.com/ <- My Blog
i5 3570k @ 4.5 Ghz / NV 660 / 32GB DDR3 / 1080p LCD / SSD (120 + 180) / W8 ||| Atom N270 / NV ION / 3GB DDR3 / SSD / 1366x768 / W8
patrickjdempsey

Bug 823147 - radial gradients are off topic.
Bug 823141 - depends on 823147. off topic.
Bug 824845 - umm... a tabstrip hardware acceleration jank bug is not proof of gradient issues.
Bug 826422 - tiled gradients are again probably off topic, and probably only a problem when used to excess.

Linear gradient is actually used pretty exhaustively throughout the default theme and has been for some time... it's being used in places background images used to be used to great effect. In fact tiled gradients appear on inContent pages, that's how that "glassy" effect is done.
What my avatar is about: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamonkey/addon/sea-fox/
iwod

Post by iwod »

I have been having this thought for long. May be some days we would decide to do super efficient Software Rendering as baseline. ( Actually Opera did that really well ). HWA relies on Drivers. And that situation on Windows just aren't going to get any better. ( Users Dont update drivers. )
Grantius

Post by Grantius »

iwod wrote:I have been having this thought for long. May be some days we would decide to do super efficient Software Rendering as baseline. ( Actually Opera did that really well ). HWA relies on Drivers. And that situation on Windows just aren't going to get any better. ( Users Dont update drivers. )

HWA is great for low powered devices with a good GPU, but you're right.

Maybe Firefox could prompt a user to update drivers?
Micro gaming box: AMD A10-7800 APU, 8gb RAM M350 ITX case (size of a book), Windows 10/Ubuntu
Tablet/Laptop: Asus Transformer T100, Intel Atom 2GB RAM, Windows 10 x86
Mobile:Xiaomi Redmi Note 3 Pro
patrickjdempsey

It is the baseline for the vast majority of users for whom HWA isn't even compatible to begin with.