Azure Progress

Discussion about official Mozilla Firefox builds
Omega X

Re: Azure Progress

Post by Omega X »

WonderCsabo wrote:
Theliel wrote:Its a drawing library like Cairo and can use some HWA. Should be faster tham Cairo, but useless for any Windows + Direct2D (win+D2D its much faster). For example, Skia should give better numbers under Android or MAC OS or Windows without a good D2D support.

Basically, the software rendering will be faster with this?

That's the plan. If Skia is faster on desktop then its going to be used. Azure Hardware Acceleration will eventually be handled by the Emerald API.
WonderCsabo

Post by WonderCsabo »

Thanks for your answers, guys.
_Alexander

Post by _Alexander »

I hope it won't be "faster in certain cases" type of faster. :)
http://magneticpudding.com/ <- My Blog
i5 3570k @ 4.5 Ghz / NV 660 / 32GB DDR3 / 1080p LCD / SSD (120 + 180) / W8 ||| Atom N270 / NV ION / 3GB DDR3 / SSD / 1366x768 / W8
Omega X

Post by Omega X »

I'm going to necro this thread for OSX Azure Canvas that just landed today on m-c.
pr1xsel

Post by pr1xsel »

paul_f

Post by paul_f »

seems to be there under linux now. just trying to get my head around the prefs. at least i think its working cause im getting the font crash. https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=723110

but in a linux context im wondering what all these prefs do.

gfx.content.azure.enabled
gfx.azure.content.enable
gfx.azure.enabled -- seems to be the main switch
gfx.canvas.azure.enabled
gfx.canvas.azure.prefer-skia

and how it interacts with the old opengl layers acceleration prefs.
layers.acceleration.*
Gizmoded

Post by Gizmoded »

gfx.canvas.azure.enabled

I have enabled these 2 prefs.... But I am unable to find other prefs.... ?
Zlip792

Post by Zlip792 »

On Windows Platform:
There is no such as: gfx.azure.content.enable & gfx.azure.enabled (I think)

Only these:
gfx.canvas.azure.enabled
gfx.canvas.azure.prefer-skia
shmerl

Post by shmerl »

Does Azure support choosing the backend at the moment (like using OpenGL drivers for example?) Or it's hardwired to use Direct2D only?
LordStriker

Post by LordStriker »

http://ie.microsoft.com/testdrive/Performance/Bubbles/

New kid on the block... IE9 60FPS, Nightly/Stable 38-40FPS. Whatever new they come up with, all other browsers are struggling ( except Chromium on this specific one ). Will Azure make it run normally later?

And this one supposed to run even better on IE10 and its imporved HWA.

By the way, do you know if Win7 will get at some point IE 10? I thought so, but yet I haven't hear anything about.
Fx 16.02 -//- Fx 19α x64 -//- Win 8 Pro x64 -//- CPU: i5 2500 -//- GPU: 7950 -//- RAM: 8GB
_Alexander

Post by _Alexander »

There are some Azure and D2D performance related bugs. Not much work though - well at least on bugzilla.
http://magneticpudding.com/ <- My Blog
i5 3570k @ 4.5 Ghz / NV 660 / 32GB DDR3 / 1080p LCD / SSD (120 + 180) / W8 ||| Atom N270 / NV ION / 3GB DDR3 / SSD / 1366x768 / W8
LordStriker

Post by LordStriker »

Well, my point was, I really don't like when MS creates a new test and Fx's HWA doesn't work as it should. It needs further optimisations? I don't know, I just don't like it. It's like HWA on Fx ain't as solid as it should.

Of course, I'm not expert and there's no chance to know why, but really it doesn't matter. I'm an average user who sees it just doesn't work well. Neither the GPU utilization generally... Anyway, who cares what I, the ignorant scrub think... :p

By the way, the only thing I'd like to underline is, don't take me wrong... I'm not in the slightest one of those who will come here, post his rant and yell: "That's it, I'm going to Chrome/IE/Opera". I really care and love Fx and that's why I'm bitching some times.
Fx 16.02 -//- Fx 19α x64 -//- Win 8 Pro x64 -//- CPU: i5 2500 -//- GPU: 7950 -//- RAM: 8GB
Grantius

Post by Grantius »

LordStriker wrote:Well, my point was, I really don't like when MS creates a new test and Fx's HWA doesn't work as it should. It needs further optimisations? I don't know, I just don't like it. It's like HWA on Fx ain't as solid as it should.

Of course, I'm not expert and there's no chance to know why, but really it doesn't matter. I'm an average user who sees it just doesn't work well. Neither the GPU utilization generally... Anyway, who cares what I, the ignorant scrub think... :p

By the way, the only thing I'd like to underline is, don't take me wrong... I'm not in the slightest one of those who will come here, post his rant and yell: "That's it, I'm going to Chrome/IE/Opera". I really care and love Fx and that's why I'm bitching some times.

Benchmarks =/= real life performance.
Micro gaming box: AMD A10-7800 APU, 8gb RAM M350 ITX case (size of a book), Windows 10/Ubuntu
Tablet/Laptop: Asus Transformer T100, Intel Atom 2GB RAM, Windows 10 x86
Mobile:Xiaomi Redmi Note 3 Pro
Omega X

Post by Omega X »

Nothing new. Microsoft creates tests that only they do well in. Google did that with WebGL and V8 tests. Marketing, marketing, marketing.
LordStriker

Post by LordStriker »

Nice to hear about, guys. This ease the pain a little :p

Now if only stop going into 3D clocks constantly and many times, seemingly at least without reason.