Nightly Firefox Win 64 bit Discussion

Discussion about official Mozilla Firefox builds
neyel8r

Re: Nightly Firefox Win 64 bit Discussion

Post by neyel8r »

Virtual_ManPL wrote:It's just hourly build of Nightly, compared to daily build.

PS. fixed a typo in my post before

oh ok, thanks. i was confused by all of the numbers in that directory i guess :lol: i suppose i could try out the latest one at some point...

fyi... if you happen to accidentally download an update but don't want to install it (like i just did by clicking Nightly > Help > About Nightly > Check for Updates), you can navigate to "C:\Users\(YourUserName)\AppData\Local\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\firefox" & delete the updates folder there to prevent the update :-)

speciesx wrote:
Thank you to everyone who participated in this thread. Given the
existing information, I have decided to proceed with disabling windows
64-bit nightly and hourly builds. Please let us consider this discussion
closed unless there is critical new information which needs to be presented.

https://groups.google.com/d/msg/mozilla ... 459voJRtQJ

Disable windows 64 builds

what terrible news! :cry: oh well, the latest Nightly update crashes like crazy for me anyway... i'll just continue with 19.0a1 until it becomes unusable, if/when that ever happens...

on the other hand, i'm sure a few people out there will continue to develop Nightly x64 unofficially...
SLK350

Post by SLK350 »

Does this mean that UX 64bit is also disabled?
Corsair Obsidian 500D * AMD Ryzen Threadripper 1920X * ASUS ROG STRIX X399-E GAMING * G.Skill 32GB DDR4 3200MHz CL14 Flare X * Samsung 970 Pro 1TB * Fractal Design Celsius S36 360mm * Benq BL3201PT * ASUS GeForce RTX 2080 Ti 11GB DUAL OC * Creative Soundblaster X7 * Windows 10 Pro x64 Insider
speciesx

Post by speciesx »

sry for my bad english.

My real user agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv: current nightly) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/current nightly
kronckew

Post by kronckew »

today's (20121121030712) 20.0a1 x64 nightly build works fine. no crashing. had it open & browsing last couple of hours...
CAVE CANEM RADIX LECTI ET SEMPER PARATUS
Retired: Everyday I make a list of those things
That I am not going to do today, Then I don't do them.
Zlip792

Post by Zlip792 »

Hell has been set and DOOMs day for 64-bit begun: https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=814009
Grantius

Post by Grantius »

Zlip792 wrote:Hell has been set and DOOMs day for 64-bit begun: https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=814009

What I find odd is that they have given up e10s, and going to give up 64bit.

So if a user needs more then 4GB per session will they have to move to a different browser? Considering the heavy users tend to be the most vocal and will spill this news to Toms etc, this could be a disaster if the news sites hear about it.
Micro gaming box: AMD A10-7800 APU, 8gb RAM M350 ITX case (size of a book), Windows 10/Ubuntu
Tablet/Laptop: Asus Transformer T100, Intel Atom 2GB RAM, Windows 10 x86
Mobile:Xiaomi Redmi Note 3 Pro
KWierso

Post by KWierso »

Zlip792 wrote:Hell has been set and DOOMs day for 64-bit begun: https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=814009

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u8vQxYDonvI
Virtual_ManPL

Post by Virtual_ManPL »

If disabling building Win64 builds for "some time" and changing it to Tier-3 will speed up things by making it as Tier-1 in the future and overall if this will make better Firefox at the end, why not...
but still I don't understand completely how it will makes things better... after starting building 64bit builds in the future, regressions ranges will be mostly impossible to find due to this...

IMO devs underestimate 64bit builds, as they have better performance (if optimized and compiled properly) and are more responsive&snappy with many tabs&windows opened or when you simply hit 2GB/3GB as it's limit on 32bit Win which application can use, other 2GB/1GB is reserved for kernel.

All important plugins like Flash, PDF, Silverlight and Java are already 64bit.
Only some obsoletes like Windows Media Player, QuickTime, Real Media and Shockwave are not, but who use them now...

Internet Explorer and Opera by default are 64bit. In time Chrome will be also 64bit by default per Issue 8606: 64 bit chrome on Windows
Last edited by Virtual_ManPL on November 21st, 2012, 5:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Virtualfox persona
Tired of constant Firefox UI changes? XUL extensions are not working anymore? Try SeaMonkey, Waterfox Classic, Pale Moon.
speciesx

Post by speciesx »

Grantius wrote:What I find odd is that they have given up e10s, and going to give up 64bit.

Since Mozilla is working on Firefox OS and Firefox Android, Firefox desktop is no longer lead platform!

Grantius wrote:So if a user needs more then 4GB per session will they have to move to a different browser?

Opera 12.xx and IE 10 available as stable x64.
sry for my bad english.

My real user agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv: current nightly) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/current nightly
mikedl

Post by mikedl »

speciesx wrote:
Thank you to everyone who participated in this thread. Given the
existing information, I have decided to proceed with disabling windows
64-bit nightly and hourly builds. Please let us consider this discussion
closed unless there is critical new information which needs to be presented.

https://groups.google.com/d/msg/mozilla ... 459voJRtQJ

Disable windows 64 builds

smh ... Image
"It may be that there are true demonstrations; but this is not certain. Thus, this proves nothing else but that it is not certain that all is uncertain, to the glory of skepticism." Pascal's Pensées
MINIDOU

Post by MINIDOU »

I'm fine with the dev focusing on OMTC before trivial things like 64bits
James

Post by James »

neyel8r wrote:20.0a1 is absolutely awful! it was constantly crashing every minute or two (sometimes even less!) without fail... couldn't figure out if it was my add-ons causing problems or what but disabling some or all of them didn't seem to help whatsoever. finally "downgraded" back to 19.0a1 & everything's kosher again :mrgreen:

You do know that Nightly builds get updates each day right? (as long as you are not using a tinderbox hourly). It is not as if win64 20.0a1 itself is crash prone but was specific builds.
LordStriker

Post by LordStriker »

but... I use Nightly just because it's x64 build... Are they gonna revert me to x86 silently? You've got to be kidding me...

Anyway, whatever I say it'll be wasted. Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!
Fx 16.02 -//- Fx 19α x64 -//- Win 8 Pro x64 -//- CPU: i5 2500 -//- GPU: 7950 -//- RAM: 8GB
Jadugar

Post by Jadugar »

Virtual_ManPL wrote:If disabling building Win64 builds for "some time" and changing it to Tier-3 will speed up things by making it as Tier-1 in the future and overall if this will make better Firefox at the end, why not...
but still I don't understand completely how it will makes things better... after starting building 64bit builds in the future, regressions ranges will be mostly impossible to find due to this...

IMO devs underestimate 64bit builds, as they have better performance (if optimized and compiled properly) and are more responsive&snappy with many tabs&windows opened or when you simply hit 2GB/3GB as it's limit on 32bit Win which application can use, other 2GB/1GB is reserved for kernel.

All important plugins like Flash, PDF, Silverlight and Java are already 64bit.
Only some obsoletes like Windows Media Player, QuickTime, Real Media and Shockwave are not, but who use them now...

Internet Explorer and Opera by default are 64bit. In time Chrome will be also 64bit by default per Issue 8606: 64 bit chrome on Windows

It will not speed things up. It will in fact slow it down considerably. When you write code it is best to make sure all code going forward is both 32 and 64bit compatible. This way, when you do decide to go 64bit, you'll have less code to sift through and if you're writing new code currently, its easier for you to write code for both 32 and 64 bit now rather than writing code that is 32bit now and then having to come back later to make it 64bit. Also, what you said about finding regression ranges is very true and also about the plugins (most of the web is now useable with existing 64bit plugins). Basically, the cost of not having 64bit builds going forward is very very high and can actually set them back months or years depending on how long they turn them off for.

Of course, if you're gonna rewrite the browser code from scratch for 64bit (I mean not reuse code), then it makes sense to focus on 32 bit only.

What is the probability that at some point in the recent future, Mozilla is going to throw out all the existing code and write completely new code for a new 64bit browser? You have to remember that Firefox is built on Netscape code from the late 90s and we've only gotten so far. So my guess would be that them writing completely new code and throwing out all existing code for a brand new 64bit browser is not gonna happen.

What I think is happening is that somebody somehow decided that there are too many testers using 64bit test builds (roughly 50% of 'nightly' testers) and it would be nice to have them on 32bit instead. What they don't realize is that many of us 'testers' are not paid by Mozilla and choose to use 64bit for our own reasons. A lot of us are technically adept and actually understand what 64bit means. I read through the whole discussion that led to this decision on Google groups and don't find any compelling reason to actually do this that is listed in the discussion. So, you have to step back and see the bigger picture of why a few of the Mozilla developers are suddenly deciding things in such a manner.
LoudNoise

Post by LoudNoise »

And on that cheery note this thread will be locked. Feel free to start another discussing the future of 64 bit.
Post wrangler
"Choose between the Food Select Feature or other Functions. If no food or function is chosen, Toast is the default."