Nightly Firefox Win 64 bit Discussion

Discussion about official Mozilla Firefox builds
mikedl

Re: Nightly Win64-bit Discussion

Post by mikedl »

As James mentions, you should click here:

then go to the latest-trunk folder.

However, if you already have it installed, it'll update normally.
"It may be that there are true demonstrations; but this is not certain. Thus, this proves nothing else but that it is not certain that all is uncertain, to the glory of skepticism." Pascal's Pensées
Cuckoo

Post by Cuckoo »

I thank you both heartily, this worked like magic.
mikedl

Post by mikedl »

You're welcome.

As an aside, I've been running the same profile for both the Win32 Nightlies and the Win64 Nightlies for the last year and a half (maybe longer but I often lose track of time) - no issues and I can go back and forth seamlessly.

Keep in mind, I only do that with the Nightlies - sorta.
I wouldn't recommend using the same profile with the release build (though I do - with no issues - but, I don't recommend it).
"It may be that there are true demonstrations; but this is not certain. Thus, this proves nothing else but that it is not certain that all is uncertain, to the glory of skepticism." Pascal's Pensées
ssj12

Post by ssj12 »

your updater works properly.. mine does not update at all. I just regularly install a new version of the ftp every once in a while.
Hanki

Post by Hanki »

ssj12 wrote:your updater works properly.. mine does not update at all. I just regularly install a new version of the ftp every once in a while.

try a fresh profile / clean install
James

Post by James »

ssj12 wrote:your updater works properly.. mine does not update at all. I just regularly install a new version of the ftp every once in a while.

Are you installing a tinderbox hourly or a regular Nightly from the trunk/central folder?. The tinderbox builds do not get updates.
ssj12

Post by ssj12 »

it was nightly, not an hourly. Fresh reinstall took care of it.
ChefChaudart

Post by ChefChaudart »

Hi,

Is it possible to find a v14 Aurora (64 bit) ?

Cheers.
Do not forget Liu Xiaobo
omeringen

Post by omeringen »

@ChefChaudart,
http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/ ... la-aurora/
I am using linux-x86_64 but i guess you're using Windows, according to your buildID. I couldn't see any Win64 build.
-.-
ChefChaudart

Post by ChefChaudart »

Yes that´s my problem, it is for Windows ...
Do not forget Liu Xiaobo
James

Post by James »

Win64 builds are currently only on the Nightly channel for the purpose of catching breakage.
alex_mayorga

Post by alex_mayorga »

Yet I've been using 64-bit Nightly as my everyday browser with no major issues since 23 May 2011 #-o
mikedl

Post by mikedl »

alex_mayorga wrote:Yet I've been using 64-bit Nightly as my everyday browser with no major issues since 23 May 2011 #-o

Same here (well, except on Google+ for a video chat), but even longer; October 14th, 2010. (However, well before that, it just happens to be the day I joined this wonderful forum). :D
joeg
Location: How can you be in two places at once, when you're not anywhere at all?

Re: Nightly Firetox Win 64 bit Discussion

Post by joeg »

Hi, I'm a relatively old FF person (in many senses of the word "old"), but I'm new to 64-bit universe. My thanks to mikedl for instilling the courage/foolhardiness in me to take the leap.

So far (about an hour), I've already had a couple of crashes. They've happened really fast, and I've submitted the error messages, but it's been hard to catch what the trouble is. It appears to have something to do with the page that appears (I know it has a "technical" name, but I don't remember what it is) when I click "Open new tab". I see the page that has "placeholders" of various tabs that I've opened. I think the crash occurred when I tried to click one of them.

One thing I haven't been able to get to work is the IETab 2 add-on. I've uninstalled and reinstalled, but I'm told I need another plugin that I haven't been able to locate. Does one exist? As far as I can see, the only 64-bit plugins that appear to work are Java 7 (works OK), Flash 11 (see below), and one other one that I don't use (can't remember what it is).

My next question is about Flash. It works fine, but I don't understand why the Win7 Control Panel shows I have the 32-bit version installed. I've read this bit
-> viewtopic.php?f=23&t=540546&start=45 but it really didn't shed any light on a solution.

Here's what I see (sorry, but I don't know how to make the image smaller yet keep it legible).http://edu-net.net/images/flash64.jpg

In any case, as I've said, Flash works fine. I'd just be interested to know whether Windows is just giving me a wrong message or I really am running the 32-bit plugin.

One last comment (and sorry if this has been mentioned before): I think it would be nice if clicking Help -> About Nightly would tell me more than this
-> 16.0a1 (2012-06-14)
For example, mentioning that I'm actually running the 64-bit version would be a little psycho boost.

Any idea about the Flash thing? Thanks.
Last edited by James on June 15th, 2012, 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: removed img tags as image was way too big at 1,169px × 2,357px
Although every day is Judgment Day, I nonetheless feel like a room without a roof.
Rodze

Re: Nightly Firetox Win 64 bit Discussion

Post by Rodze »

IETab uses its own plugin, which I guess only works on 32 bit Firefox. You'll have to ask the extension developer to see if 64 bit Nightly is / can be supported.

As you've read, the 64 bit version of Flash comes with both the 32 bit and the 64 bit plugins. Maybe Adobe only includes a 32 bit .exe of the configuration manager -- just guessing. The point is that it works. =P

Maybe Mozilla will care about saying it's the 64 bit of Firefox when they start to release 64 bit versions of Firefox, but you can file a suggestion bug on bugzilla I guess.
Last edited by Rodze on June 15th, 2012, 6:27 am, edited 1 time in total.