Nightly Firefox Win 64 bit Discussion

Discussion about official Mozilla Firefox builds
joeg
Location: How can you be in two places at once, when you're not anywhere at all?

Re: Nightly Firetox Win 64 bit Discussion

Post by joeg »

Rodze wrote:IETab uses its own plugin, which I guess only works on 32 bit Firefox. You'll have to ask the extension developer to see if 64 bit Nightly is / can be supported.

As you've read, the 64 bit version of Flash comes with both the 32 bit and the 64 bit plugin. Maybe Adobe only includes a 32 bit .exe of the configuration manager -- just guessing. The point is that it works. =P

Maybe Mozilla will care about saying its the 64 bit of Firefox when they start to release 64 bit versions of Firefox, but you can file a suggestion bug on bugzilla I guess.
Thanks for your comments. The two "negative" issues are really not show stoppers, and I agree about your Flash observation -> "The point is that it works. =P"

Thanks again.
Although every day is Judgment Day, I nonetheless feel like a room without a roof.
Rodze

Re: Nightly Firetox Win 64 bit Discussion

Post by Rodze »

speciesx

Re: Nightly Firefox Win 64 bit Discussion

Post by speciesx »

sry for my bad english.

My real user agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv: current nightly) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/current nightly
joeg
Location: How can you be in two places at once, when you're not anywhere at all?

Post by joeg »

Please only reply to this posting if you've got a bit of time and a lot of patience. Thanks.

I've looked at these bugs.
http://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=539356v (This is way over my head.)
http://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=795594
http://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=795668 (I know the "win64 test slaves" being referred to are not the people like us who use the builds x64 builds. 8-) )
http://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=795591

And I've read this and understand what PGO builds are.
http://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs ... timization

I've also read this, but it, too, was over my head.
http://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgro ... FndiSxW4rU

My question: Can some please explain in "baby" terms what's wrong with the Win x64 Nightly PGO builds?

Thanks very much.

P.S. And I can confirm that today's non-PGO build mentioned here works fine.
speciesx wrote:non pgo x64 build works.
http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/ ... ral-win64/
Although every day is Judgment Day, I nonetheless feel like a room without a roof.
Ver Greeneyes

Post by Ver Greeneyes »

I don't think anyone knows what's wrong with them right now. Usually working around PGO bugs means "find out where the broken assembly is", then "figure out a way to rewrite or rearrange the relevant source code to generate non-broken assembly". If that sounds vague, it's because it is. You can't fix these issues so much as work around them because really, as far as we know, it's a bug in Microsoft's Visual Studio compiler - not a bug in Mozilla code. You can complain to Microsoft's Visual Studio team, but unless you can reverse engineer exactly what's going wrong and how to fix it, your only real recourse is likely to hope that it's fixed in the next iteration of Visual C++.

Someone with experience working on compilers might be able to tell you why these kinds of bugs happen, but really it's just a case of [trigger astronomically rare edge case] -> [produce broken code].
Last edited by Ver Greeneyes on September 30th, 2012, 10:06 am, edited 2 times in total.
KWierso

Post by KWierso »

your only real recourse is likely to hope that it's fixed in the next iteration of Visual C++.

Which doesn't really help Mozilla since moving to a newer MSVC would likely mean losing WinXP support...
joeg

Post by joeg »

My thanks to KWierso and Ver Greeneyes.

Using baby logic, I'd argue something like this: It worked two days ago; it's broken today. This means something I did yesterday caused a problem.

What am I missing?
ferongr

Post by ferongr »

KWierso wrote:
your only real recourse is likely to hope that it's fixed in the next iteration of Visual C++.

Which doesn't really help Mozilla since moving to a newer MSVC would likely mean losing WinXP support...

It's not like there are many 64bit WinXP systems. There could always be a different toolchain for building 64bit builds.
What Falken giveth, the tōge taketh away.
joeg

Post by joeg »

ferongr wrote:It's not like there are many 64bit WinXP systems. There could always be a different toolchain for building 64bit builds.
Good point.
Ver Greeneyes

Post by Ver Greeneyes »

JoeG wrote:It worked two days ago; it's broken today. This means something I did yesterday caused a problem.

What am I missing?

Display-List Based Invalidation (bug 539356) is what caused the problem. Thing is, it's not that the code is broken (because it works on non-PGO builds) but that it causes a pre-existing compiler bug to rear its ugly head. Since 64-bit Windows builds are not a first tier platform, however, I guess they opted to disable updates to those builds rather than backing out DLBI while they look for a workaround.
Caspid

Post by Caspid »

Anything definitive on the performance of 64-bit vs 32-bit? I'm on 64, but am considering switching to 32 so I can use the Google Chat plugin. However, I wouldn't use it often, so even a mild performance benefit from 64 would warrant me keeping it.
"Know what I pray for? The strength to change what I can, the inability to accept what I can't, and the incapacity to tell the difference." -Calvin
joeg

Post by joeg »

Ver Greeneyes wrote:..., I guess they opted to disable updates to those builds rather than backing out DLBI while they look for a workaround.
Taken from: http://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=795594
Bill Gianopoulos wrote:2012-09-30 11:00:02 PDT ...
> If as said in previous comments, this is PGO only, I think the correct way
> forward here is to not have the Nightly win 64-bit Nightlies be PGO builds.

I meant to say until we figure this out, of course.
It's fascinating how complicated all this is. It really makes me wonder how they managed to get "Curiosity" to take pictures of rocks on Mars. Of course NASA has lots more money, but their task appears to be proportionally more complicated.
Grantius

Post by Grantius »

Caspid wrote:Anything definitive on the performance of 64-bit vs 32-bit? I'm on 64, but am considering switching to 32 so I can use the Google Chat plugin. However, I wouldn't use it often, so even a mild performance benefit from 64 would warrant me keeping it.

32bit is supposedly faster as it has more optimization and is more of a focus - i thought 64bit was only really good if you like FF to use more then 4 gig of RAM per session?
Micro gaming box: AMD A10-7800 APU, 8gb RAM M350 ITX case (size of a book), Windows 10/Ubuntu
Tablet/Laptop: Asus Transformer T100, Intel Atom 2GB RAM, Windows 10 x86
Mobile:Xiaomi Redmi Note 3 Pro
SuperPutte

Post by SuperPutte »

32bit is supposedly faster as it has more optimization and is more of a focus - i thought 64bit was only really good if you like FF to use more then 4 gig of RAM per session?[/quote]

Mozilla seems to pay more attention on 32-bit - BIG true - but lastest 64 builds have been very fast(er). If you run JS-tests the 32bit are still slightly faster than 64, but the 64 versions FEELS way snappier (startup is also faster than 32) - that's my impression.
Like several has mentioned, since Sep 28 the 64 with PGO are broken, but you can dl 64-PGO versions up to Sep 27 who's works perfect.
TheVisitor

Post by TheVisitor »

Bug https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=795748 has been filed to turn off PGO on 64bit builds.