Are firefox fonts fixed in Firefox 7?

Discussion about official Mozilla Firefox builds
Omega X

Re: Are firefox fonts fixed in Firefox 7?

Post by Omega X »

Jagged fonts kill kittens.
phuzi0n

Post by phuzi0n »

Virtual_ManPL wrote:Not fixed, devs still don't want to fix this by using old not bugged and not blurry rendering mode like other modern browsers...

Oh the irony in this FUD. Using hardware acceleration is the modern way of handling fonts but you want them to use an archaic rendering method because some other browsers haven't implemented the modern method yet. Btw FF isn't the only browser using acceleration of fonts, IE9 does too but they disable it in quarks mode.

Browsers that don't implement accelerated fonts aren't able to handle some of the new HTML5 features very well. Try these demos in your other browsers.

http://ie.microsoft.com/testdrive/Perfo ... ault.xhtml
http://ie.microsoft.com/testdrive/Graph ... sforms.htm
Virtual_ManPL

Post by Virtual_ManPL »

Omega X wrote:Jagged fonts kill kittens.

implying that standard system rendering is jagged...

@ phuzi0n - HAHAHA... FUD... more like in your case
text meant to be readable... not some flashy loled nothingness like in your demos which won't be used in years...

but thank God for giving advanced users option to change this blurry massacre to normal sharp GDI Classic mode with HW Acc ON, same like it's in system or in Chrome & Opera...
if we don't have it, probably most of advanced users will swap their browsers to Chrome, like normal users started doing this when Firefox 4 was released (see blurry fonts when update is installed = downgrade or try other not blurred browser...)
Virtualfox persona
Tired of constant Firefox UI changes? XUL extensions are not working anymore? Try SeaMonkey, Waterfox Classic, Pale Moon.
_Alexander

Post by _Alexander »

Observation, DW fonts looks kinda worse on 16-235 screens than on 0-255 screens.
http://magneticpudding.com/ <- My Blog
i5 3570k @ 4.5 Ghz / NV 660 / 32GB DDR3 / 1080p LCD / SSD (120 + 180) / W8 ||| Atom N270 / NV ION / 3GB DDR3 / SSD / 1366x768 / W8
Copa360

Post by Copa360 »

Firefox fonts don't look jagged to me, just blurry in some instances, and there are some fonts that don't seem to render correctly unless I set rendering back to GDI Classic.

This is only on my desktop however. It has a 23.5" flat panel set at 1920 x 1080 resolution. My laptop, which is 15" set at 1366 x 768 renders fine without changing anything.
jimhoyle

Post by jimhoyle »

jimhoyle wrote:I tried gfx.font_rendering.cleartype_params.rendering_mode from -1 to 5 and none of those gave Chrome-like or Firefox 3-like rendering. I don't mean it has to be exactly the same, but I can't bare the reverse-thinning-out-problem. Also the overall over-boldness and color fringing is not good at all.

More details about this. So changing rendering_mode does NOT make the fringing of page text go away. Also changing gfx.font_rendering.directwrite.enabled is not interesting. If changing gfx.direct2d.disabled to true, that will bring the good Chrome-like page font rendering. HOWEVER, it only applies to the page content, not address bar, Find box, Downloads window. In those, having gfx.direct2d.disabled=true, the reverse thinning and fringing problem considerably worsens!

Very annoying. So there seems to be no way to get it non-fringing for both page content and addressbar/find/downloads at the same time and that is why I keep going back to FF3. Note that for example writing 'www' in the find box, when the reverse thinning problem is present (text selected), the word www is almost invisible due to very bad rendering. This is not cosmetics,but a very important usability issue.

I don't know what the bug is, but at least it seems gfx.direct2d.disabled is incorrectly only affecting page text, when it should affect also input boxes and Downloads window.