Firefox's Metro App version? (released sticky)

Discussion about official Mozilla Firefox builds
WonderCsabo

Re: Firefox's Metro App version?

Post by WonderCsabo »

impar wrote:Basic ergonomics, really.
On Desktop the Metro UI should be forbidden.

I strongly agree.
patrickjdempsey

Post by patrickjdempsey »

It actually makes the Table start looking like a good idea.
Tip of the day: If it has "toolbar" in the name, it's crap.
What my avatar is about: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamonkey/addon/sea-fox/
Dingler

Post by Dingler »

Omega X

Post by Omega X »

Asa mentioned that this might require a native frontend. They won't know for sure until the documentation is published.
DJGM

Post by DJGM »

I wouldn't usually dig up old threads (I usually strongly discourage it) but my question doesn't really
merit a new thread. What happened to the Firefox/Fennec Metro Test Builds for WIndows 8 that
were posted on the Mozilla Wiki? The links are now crossed out. Are any of these test builds still
available on the Mozilla FTP servers? I've now got the Windows 8 Release Preview up and running
on my main PC, and I'd like an alternative to IE10 Metro. I tried the Metro test build of Chrome,
and found it to be rather "meh!" ... much like it's regular desktop counterpart!
-----------------------------
SeaMonkey is like a Swiss Army knife: Versatile and dependable, with many useful tools.
Internet Explorer is like really, really, very old Swiss cheese: Full of holes, and it stinks!
Omega X

Post by Omega X »

Supposedly, Metro version development is here: http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/ ... atest-elm/
DJGM

Post by DJGM »

Omega X wrote:Supposedly, Metro version development is here:
http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/ ... atest-elm/

OK, thanks for that. IIRC, the procedure is to install it the same way as any regular version of Firefox,
but then to ensure it works within the Metro environment, it should be set as the default browser
on the system via the "Set your default programs" section of the Windows Control Panel.

So, I've done all that, and there is now a new tile labelled Nightly on the Start screen, but clicking
on it just launches the regular desktop version of the browser rather than the Metro version.

I downloaded the firefox-15.0a1.en-US.win32.installer.exe file from the FTP folder you linked to.
SeaMonkey is like a Swiss Army knife: Versatile and dependable, with many useful tools.
Internet Explorer is like really, really, very old Swiss cheese: Full of holes, and it stinks!
Omega X

Post by Omega X »

I have no clue as to why it doesn't work. I haven't been following the Metro development. I do know that elm is the Metro repository and those are the builds from that repository.
KWierso

Post by KWierso »

DJGM wrote:
Omega X wrote:Supposedly, Metro version development is here:
http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/ ... atest-elm/

OK, thanks for that. IIRC, the procedure is to install it the same way as any regular version of Firefox,
but then to ensure it works within the Metro environment, it should be set as the default browser
on the system via the "Set your default programs" section of the Windows Control Panel.

So, I've done all that, and there is now a new tile labelled Nightly on the Start screen, but clicking
on it just launches the regular desktop version of the browser rather than the Metro version.

I downloaded the firefox-15.0a1.en-US.win32.installer.exe file from the FTP folder you linked to.

I think Firefox can't already be running on the desktop, so make sure it's closed completely before you click the tile.
DJGM

Post by DJGM »

The only other Firefox based application I usually have running these days is Pale Moon, while my
main desktop web browser is SeaMonkey, so there are no other firefox.exe processes running.

Still, clicking on the Nightly tile (expecting Firefox branded one) opens the desktop version.
DJGM

Post by DJGM »

Uninstalled Nightly, reset IE10 as default and reinstated it's Metro tile, and IE10 Metro works again.
Reinstalled Nightly, set it as full default via Control Panel ... still only launches Desktop version.

What gives ... ?
DJGM

Post by DJGM »

Anyone . . . ?
vdeane

Post by vdeane »

I have the exact same problem. Installed nightly, set it as the default using control panel, and it still won't launch the metro version in Windows 8. Please help, I need to get this working for my research on browser cookies and users!
DJGM

Post by DJGM »

I'd have thought Mozilla would've at least released a beta of Firefox Metro for Windows 8 by now,
rather than us having to try out random Nightly builds that only launch in normal Desktop mode.

Looks like the Nightly builds in the "latest-elm" FTP folder linked in the earlier message have
now been updated to Firefox 16a1 builds, so I'll give it another try on Windows 8 shortly . . .
Grantius

Post by Grantius »

DJGM wrote:I'd have thought Mozilla would've at least released a beta of Firefox Metro for Windows 8 by now,
rather than us having to try out random Nightly builds that only launch in normal Desktop mode.

Looks like the Nightly builds in the "latest-elm" FTP folder linked in the earlier message have
now been updated to Firefox 16a1 builds, so I'll give it another try on Windows 8 shortly . . .

WINDOWS 8 IS PRERELEASE.

How about wait until it is released, to get a metro beta?

What makes more sense - fixing actual problems for millions of users on all OSes or making a metro version for a couple of beta testers?

How about you submit some code if you want it faster, or put up with unstable nightlies until Windows 8 is released?
Micro gaming box: AMD A10-7800 APU, 8gb RAM M350 ITX case (size of a book), Windows 10/Ubuntu
Tablet/Laptop: Asus Transformer T100, Intel Atom 2GB RAM, Windows 10 x86
Mobile:Xiaomi Redmi Note 3 Pro