Firefox's Metro App version? (released sticky)

Discussion about official Mozilla Firefox builds
_Alexander

Re: Firefox's Metro App version?

Post by _Alexander »

^
IE10 is impressive visually and in terms of speed and so is Metro IE10.
I don't think anyone will be disappointed by a lack of Firefox for Windows 8.

Now, if you look at "Metro" Chrome - you will laugh your head off at how much of a joke it is. Hint: It is faking being a metro app for one.
So Firefox is NOT behind in Metro browser department.
http://magneticpudding.com/ <- My Blog
i5 3570k @ 4.5 Ghz / NV 660 / 32GB DDR3 / 1080p LCD / SSD (120 + 180) / W8 ||| Atom N270 / NV ION / 3GB DDR3 / SSD / 1366x768 / W8
DJGM

Post by DJGM »

I've downloaded the latest firefox-16.0a1.en-US.win32.installer.exe build from the "latest-elm" folder
on the FTP, installed it, and set it as the default the recommended way, via the Control Panel.

Guess what? It doesn't work. The Nightly tile on the Start screen still only launches the Desktop
version of the browser. It does not open in the Metro environment at all. Even after completely
uninstalling all previous traces and re-installing afresh with a new profile ... Desktop only.

After all this, I have to ask ... how serious are Mozilla about making a Metro version of Firefox,
if they only give us builds that load up the Desktop version and refuse to launch within Metro.
-----------------------------
SeaMonkey is like a Swiss Army knife: Versatile and dependable, with many useful tools.
Internet Explorer is like really, really, very old Swiss cheese: Full of holes, and it stinks!
Omega X

Post by Omega X »

What are the flags in about:buildconfig? The Win8 flags might not be set in the builds.
KWierso

Post by KWierso »

It's almost like developing software is hard or something...
Grantius

Post by Grantius »

I love lamp
Last edited by Grantius on June 27th, 2012, 12:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Micro gaming box: AMD A10-7800 APU, 8gb RAM M350 ITX case (size of a book), Windows 10/Ubuntu
Tablet/Laptop: Asus Transformer T100, Intel Atom 2GB RAM, Windows 10 x86
Mobile:Xiaomi Redmi Note 3 Pro
JayhawksRock

Post by JayhawksRock »

Whats the rush... us Luddites on XP are going to hang on until 2014 EOL

Windows Net World Market Share
Date May 2012
All versions 92.53%
Windows 7 40.51%
Windows XP 44.85%
Windows Vista 6.88%
Windows 8 0.13%
"The trouble with quotes on the internet is you never know if they are genuine" ...Abraham Lincoln
_Alexander

Post by _Alexander »

^
One of the major criticisms I had about Windows 7 was (and still is) its slow Windows Explorer and slow interface. XP simple had significantly faster Windows Explorer - especially when scrolling. XP also had faster GUI rendering (and scrolling). Windows 7 seemed to have regressed GUI rendering performance in everything significantly.

Now comes Windows 8 - Some cool features here and there - better Explorer interface and Task Manager finally shows whats trashing my Hard Drive. IE10 is bloody faster than anything else (with adblock). Great. Great. But Windows 8 also addressed two ares where Windows 7 was lacking severely - Explorer scrolls and renders image thumbnails significantly faster AND its interface is way faster for components that clearly were not updated much.

So... XP is a dead end. Windows 7 was alright - rock stable, feature plenty, and sufficiently fast. And Windows 8 addressed the performance problems of 7/Vista.

IE did the right thing and dropped XP a long time ago. Any browser which values stability and security and generally speed should drop XP support. Technically I would also advocate dropping non-SSE2 PCs as well (all W8 applications should be compiled SSE2 considering that the OS requires it).
The only reason not to is money, not progress.
http://magneticpudding.com/ <- My Blog
i5 3570k @ 4.5 Ghz / NV 660 / 32GB DDR3 / 1080p LCD / SSD (120 + 180) / W8 ||| Atom N270 / NV ION / 3GB DDR3 / SSD / 1366x768 / W8
mikedl

Post by mikedl »

JayhawksRock wrote:Whats the rush... us Luddites on XP are going to hang on until 2014 EOL

What ever will you do then? There's always Win 2000. Image
"It may be that there are true demonstrations; but this is not certain. Thus, this proves nothing else but that it is not certain that all is uncertain, to the glory of skepticism." Pascal's Pensées
JayhawksRock

Post by JayhawksRock »

mikedl wrote:
JayhawksRock wrote:Whats the rush... us Luddites on XP are going to hang on until 2014 EOL

LOL... we can then add XP to that and keep on keepin' on! :D
"The trouble with quotes on the internet is you never know if they are genuine" ...Abraham Lincoln
mikedl

Post by mikedl »

JayhawksRock wrote:
mikedl wrote:

LOL... we can then add XP to that and keep on keepin' on! :D

Understood. Image
"It may be that there are true demonstrations; but this is not certain. Thus, this proves nothing else but that it is not certain that all is uncertain, to the glory of skepticism." Pascal's Pensées
vdeane

Post by vdeane »

Omega X wrote:What are the flags in about:buildconfig? The Win8 flags might not be set in the builds.

I don't see anything about win8 in there. Is there a version that can be downloaded that is known to have been built with the win8 flags?
Omega X

Post by Omega X »

The only one I know of is the one they shared when they first started. I don't have a link ATM.
bogas04

Post by bogas04 »

Omega X wrote:The only one I know of is the one they shared when they first started. I don't have a link ATM.

http://www.neowin.net/forum/topic/10682 ... for-metro/
bogas04.github.io
MacBook Air Mid 2013 |@bogas04
DJGM

Post by DJGM »

Omega X wrote:What are the flags in about:buildconfig?
The Win8 flags might not be set in the builds.

Build identifier: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.2; rv:16.0) Gecko/16.0 Firefox/16.0a1
Version number and build date: 16.0a1 (2012-06-27)

Build tools
Compiler Version Compiler flags
cl 16.00.30319.01 -TC -nologo -W3 -Gy -Fdgenerated.pdb -we4553 -DNDEBUG -DTRIMMED -Zi -UDEBUG -DNDEBUG -GL -wd4624 -wd4952 -O1 -Oy
cl 16.00.30319.01 -TP -nologo -W3 -Gy -Fdgenerated.pdb -wd4800 -we4553 -GR- -DNDEBUG -DTRIMMED -Zi -UDEBUG -DNDEBUG -GL -wd4624 -wd4952 -O1 -Oy
-----------------------------
SeaMonkey is like a Swiss Army knife: Versatile and dependable, with many useful tools.
Internet Explorer is like really, really, very old Swiss cheese: Full of holes, and it stinks!
bogas04

Post by bogas04 »

bogas04.github.io
MacBook Air Mid 2013 |@bogas04