Firefox's Metro App version? (released sticky)

Discussion about official Mozilla Firefox builds
smsmith

Re: Firefox's Metro App version?

Post by smsmith »

James wrote:
DJGM wrote:and these Elm nightlies still only launch in normal desktop mode.

Due to you using Win32 and not Win64.

Though you can try the -metrodesktop switch like for example.
"C:\Program Files\Nightly\firefox.exe" -metrodesktop

I've got Win8 64-bit, James, and it never opened in metro / modern UI for me, despite repeated attempts at making the build the default browser. And when I forced the switch, it still opened on the desktop, but with the metro / modern UI. I haven't tried since late December, though.
Give a man a fish, and he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish, and he eats for a lifetime.
I like poetry, long walks on the beach and poking dead things with a stick.
Please do not PM me for personal support. Keep posts here in the Forums instead and we all learn.
DJGM

Post by DJGM »

While my main desktop is still running the 32bit/x86 version of Windows 8, my laptop has the x86-64 version
of Windows 8. Guess what? Even that only launches "Elm" nightlies in desktop mode, not the "ModernUI".

With all the previous instructions followed, even with a new clean Firefox profile ... it's still desktop only.
-----------------------------
SeaMonkey is like a Swiss Army knife: Versatile and dependable, with many useful tools.
Internet Explorer is like really, really, very old Swiss cheese: Full of holes, and it stinks!
KWierso

Post by KWierso »

File bugs in the Firefox for Metro component. Nothing'll get fixed if they don't know about it.
smsmith

Post by smsmith »

KWierso, do you have the link that would give all Windows 8 / Metro bugs? I've seen it before, but I can't remember where. I don't want to file dupes. Thanks.
Give a man a fish, and he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish, and he eats for a lifetime.
Please do not PM me for personal support. Keep posts here in the Forums instead and we all learn.
KWierso

Post by KWierso »

https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/buglist.cg ... id=5574264 would be a good place to start, though some stuff might be moved to the other components in the Firefox for Metro product.
KWierso

Post by KWierso »

Sounds like one of the last blockers preventing the Elm branch from merging to normal Nightlies is/has landing/landed this week: https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgr ... 67VBgJSv_0
DJGM

Post by DJGM »

Now this is what I like to hear ... some actual progress.

I would hope that at some point in the not too distant future, the ModernUI Firefox has some
level of GUI customisation if possible ... like the ability to customise the top most bar with
the Back button and URL bar, alongside the option to "Use small icons" for the navigation
buttons, and an option to add Forward, perhaps also Reload and Stop.

GUI customisation has always one of the strong points of Mozilla based browsers for many
years now, so the ability for users to tailor the GUI in some way to their liking, would be
a very welcome addition if it is at all possible, assuming it isn't already planned.
KWierso

Post by KWierso »

And from #windev in the last hour:
[09:37] <jimm> everyone - I just pushed the final elm patchset to mc for a try run. So lets stop landing on elm from here on out.
<mbrubeck> \o/
[09:40] * mbrubeck will just stare at https://tbpl.mozilla.org/?tree=Try&rev=263ba0602519 for the next 4 hours
[10:22] <Asa> when do we push to m-c?
<jimm> this afternoon assuming the try run comes up ok
<Asa> when the try run completes green?
ok. cool.
Zlip792

Post by Zlip792 »

Bang ON!!!! Some major landings of Metro UI....
smsmith

Post by smsmith »

Ok, so with that in place, is if set my non-elm build Nightly to default in the next day or two (two to just make sure it's all there), I *should* be able to launch Nightly from the start screen and have it open in the Metro/Modern UI without dropping into the desktop? If that's the case and it continues to fail over the weekend, I'll file a bug. I've tried find an open one that describes my launch failure but haven't found one.

Do you HAVE to have a hardware acceleration capable graphics card to make the metro/modern UI work?
KWierso

Post by KWierso »

I haven't really tracked what the requirements are. I'm sure once things settle down from the push to m-c, there'll be a blog post or two about it.

(Might have to change default browser to IE and back to Nightly to make sure all defaults get set correctly.)
TheVisitor

Post by TheVisitor »

Even though the Metro stuff is on m-c, it won't be in today's nightly as the build system is building from the check-in prior to the landing of the Metro bits.

I will never understand the build system. There were plenty of check-ins post Metro landing and even green PGO builds, but... still chose to build on earlier cset.

Today's Nightly cset will be https://hg.mozilla.org/mozilla-central/rev/161a347bda5b it appears.
TheVisitor

Post by TheVisitor »

There has been a re-spin started to pick up the Metro bits..
Started at 10:22 PST . check in about 4 hrs...
dbcooper.dk

Post by dbcooper.dk »

So, how does one use the Metro browser now?
KWierso

Post by KWierso »

In theory, just updating to the Nightly with the Metro stuff in it (which is out now), your start screen tile will be switched to the new Metro-style tile (assuming Nightly has all of its defaults set).

This isn't working for me on my Dell laptop, but it did on my Sony tablet. My laptop has been in use for much longer and probably has some screwy stuff hanging around from previous installations.