Disable new Firefox 8 addon controls

Discussion about official Mozilla Firefox builds
davidtse916

Re: Disable new Firefox 8 addon controls

Post by davidtse916 »

Thanks everyone for their explanations!

This is what I've used in the end (in the user.js file for our public machines):
user_pref("extensions.shownSelectionUI", true);
user_pref("extensions.autoDisableScopes", 0);

Add-on we have: Java Quick Starter 1.0

I'm using zero for the 'extensions.autoDisableScopes' because we want Firefox 8 to 'just work' when users start the application; we can't really educate our public users as much as we'd like lol
gongalf

Post by gongalf »

Thanks for that list HaST!

ffextensionguru wrote:I don't understand how you came up with 11. Yes I know you deducted 4 from the default 15, but the directions on the link given seem to differ from your method (or else I am not understanding the directions). :?

Look at https://developer.mozilla.org/en/Installing_extensions under "Disabling install locations". There you can see which directory has which number.
The configuration item extensions.autoDisableScopes simply lists the directories that should be disabled (disabled here means that addons from this directory are NOT automatically installed). For example: If you want to disable the user's profile directory you set extensions.autoDisableScopes to 2, because the profile directory has the number 2. If you want to disable the user's profile directory and the application directory you set extensions.autoDisableScopes to 2+4 = 6.
Starting with Firefox 8, the default value of extensions.autoDisableScopes is 15 (1+2+4+8), that means ALL directories are disabled. I changed that to 11 (1+2+8), which means all directories except the application directory ( which has the number 4) are disabled. Of course you can also change it to 0 like davidtse916, which would disable no directories at all. However I believe that the new addon control is actually a good feature, therefore I left it enabled for all directories except the application folder, where I deploy companywide addons.
arlokan

Post by arlokan »

davidtse916 wrote:Thanks everyone for their explanations!

This is what I've used in the end (in the user.js file for our public machines):
user_pref("extensions.shownSelectionUI", true);
user_pref("extensions.autoDisableScopes", 0);

Add-on we have: Java Quick Starter 1.0

I'm using zero for the 'extensions.autoDisableScopes' because we want Firefox 8 to 'just work' when users start the application; we can't really educate our public users as much as we'd like lol

This was the only solution that worked for me, very thanks