Plea to continue FX 3.6 security updates for Mac PPC

Discussion about official Mozilla Firefox builds
diderot

Re: Plea to continue FX 3.6 security updates for Mac PPC

Post by diderot »

patrickjdempsey wrote:Alternatively, does Camino still support PPC?

Apparently, the next version will be Intel-Only. If there is a new version, which is uncertain. It doesn't seem likely that they are or will be able to provide regular security updates. See: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=2055947
patrickjdempsey

Post by patrickjdempsey »

Yeah, I figured that would probably be the case.
Tip of the day: If it has "toolbar" in the name, it's crap.
What my avatar is about: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamonkey/addon/sea-fox/
diderot

Post by diderot »

I hate to revive an old thread, but I'd like to respond to a "complaint about my so-called-complaint" from the TenFourFox blog. It is excessively thin-skinned, and I have a few comments to make about it. The link and relevant comments follow:

1) First of all, I hadn't been aware that it was somehow impolite to talk about one's opinion of software "in public". In the case of this thread, I was expressing a desire for Mozilla to continue a Firefox version--it was not directed at TenFourFox, though it obviously expressed doubt about TenFourFox. But so what? People express opinions about software on forums all the time, and having a discussion on a thread where you are trying to get a problem solved is not like taking out an attack ad.

2) No, I didn't report problems to TenFourFox. Why? I tried several versions of it in a row. Each time, I experienced crashes and slowdowns right away. Each time, I decided not to adopt the browser and instead return to using FX 3.6. That, frankly, seems like reasonable behavior to me. When a browser that is supposed to be a ready-to-go (that is, not an alpha or beta) replacement for Firefox immediately displays unacceptable behavior, it is not the responsibility of users to report each problem before forming an opinion about that piece of software. That is especially true when it relates to overall buggy behavior over several versions. And, again, this thread was addressed to those in the Mozilla community who might have some say over extending FX support for PPC users--I didn't start it to complain about TenFourFox.

3) Honestly, I was very polite about TenFourFox, even though I didn't necessarily want to use it. That doesn't seem to have been enough for TenFourFox's developers, though. I think that anyone who actually reads this thread will disagree that my attitude was "just plain mean".

4) I will say that I have tried the latest version of TenFourFox, and it seems much better re: crashes (though still slow, which I am guessing has to do with its larger memory usage than FX 3.6). So, good on you, TenFourFox developers. I will probably end up using it, since FX 3.6 is now insecure. Still, perhaps you could calm down about some forum discussion about your software that isn't 100% positive.

http://tenfourfox.blogspot.com/2012/03/ ... chers.html

Nevertheless many of us, including yours truly, will remain 10.4 (and 10.5) users simply because we need the software options and/or Classic, and the browser options will continue to dwindle. Since Mozilla has indicated us as their official recommendation to Power Mac users going forward, we want to make sure we are covering all bases, which is why SUMO entries like this and this Mozillazine thread (possibly the same user) really cheese me off. Thanks, sport, for slamming the project in public (in so many words, "I think it's nice but it sucks") and then admitting in that same SUMO thread that you haven't even bothered to report your issue(s) to us, whatever they actually are. I can't fix what I don't see, but I don't even look unless you tell me about it. Chris and Theo are on the job in the support area, plus whatever crack users are around, plus myself. There's no excuse for not reporting issues as pervasive as this user claims to be experiencing anymore; we have the infrastructure and we have the volunteers to at least triage it. If we can't fix it, well, I suppose I can't blame someone for having a bad opinion of the software in that case (justified or not), but not even giving us a chance is just plain mean.
Grantius

Post by Grantius »

diderot wrote:I hate to revive an old thread, but I'd like to respond to a "complaint about my so-called-complaint" from the TenFourFox blog. It is excessively thin-skinned, and I have a few comments to make about it. The link and relevant comments follow:

1) First of all, I hadn't been aware that it was somehow impolite to talk about one's opinion of software "in public". In the case of this thread, I was expressing a desire for Mozilla to continue a Firefox version--it was not directed at TenFourFox, though it obviously expressed doubt about TenFourFox. But so what? People express opinions about software on forums all the time, and having a discussion on a thread where you are trying to get a problem solved is not like taking out an attack ad.

2) No, I didn't report problems to TenFourFox. Why? I tried several versions of it in a row. Each time, I experienced crashes and slowdowns right away. Each time, I decided not to adopt the browser and instead return to using FX 3.6. That, frankly, seems like reasonable behavior to me. When a browser that is supposed to be a ready-to-go (that is, not an alpha or beta) replacement for Firefox immediately displays unacceptable behavior, it is not the responsibility of users to report each problem before forming an opinion about that piece of software. That is especially true when it relates to overall buggy behavior over several versions. And, again, this thread was addressed to those in the Mozilla community who might have some say over extending FX support for PPC users--I didn't start it to complain about TenFourFox.

3) Honestly, I was very polite about TenFourFox, even though I didn't necessarily want to use it. That doesn't seem to have been enough for TenFourFox's developers, though. I think that anyone who actually reads this thread will disagree that my attitude was "just plain mean".

4) I will say that I have tried the latest version of TenFourFox, and it seems much better re: crashes (though still slow, which I am guessing has to do with its larger memory usage than FX 3.6). So, good on you, TenFourFox developers. I will probably end up using it, since FX 3.6 is now insecure. Still, perhaps you could calm down about some forum discussion about your software that isn't 100% positive.

http://tenfourfox.blogspot.com/2012/03/ ... chers.html

Nevertheless many of us, including yours truly, will remain 10.4 (and 10.5) users simply because we need the software options and/or Classic, and the browser options will continue to dwindle. Since Mozilla has indicated us as their official recommendation to Power Mac users going forward, we want to make sure we are covering all bases, which is why SUMO entries like this and this Mozillazine thread (possibly the same user) really cheese me off. Thanks, sport, for slamming the project in public (in so many words, "I think it's nice but it sucks") and then admitting in that same SUMO thread that you haven't even bothered to report your issue(s) to us, whatever they actually are. I can't fix what I don't see, but I don't even look unless you tell me about it. Chris and Theo are on the job in the support area, plus whatever crack users are around, plus myself. There's no excuse for not reporting issues as pervasive as this user claims to be experiencing anymore; we have the infrastructure and we have the volunteers to at least triage it. If we can't fix it, well, I suppose I can't blame someone for having a bad opinion of the software in that case (justified or not), but not even giving us a chance is just plain mean.

Perhaps post this on their blog? They have nothing to do with us, and most likely don't read this forum.
Micro gaming box: AMD A10-7800 APU, 8gb RAM M350 ITX case (size of a book), Windows 10/Ubuntu
Tablet/Laptop: Asus Transformer T100, Intel Atom 2GB RAM, Windows 10 x86
Mobile:Xiaomi Redmi Note 3 Pro
diderot

Post by diderot »

Clearly they do read this forum, since they explicitly complained about this thread!
Grantius

Post by Grantius »

diderot wrote:Clearly they do read this forum, since they explicitly complained about this thread!

Perhaps they do, however wouldn't your message be seen better on their forum?
Micro gaming box: AMD A10-7800 APU, 8gb RAM M350 ITX case (size of a book), Windows 10/Ubuntu
Tablet/Laptop: Asus Transformer T100, Intel Atom 2GB RAM, Windows 10 x86
Mobile:Xiaomi Redmi Note 3 Pro
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

diderot wrote:I hate to revive an old thread

...then promptly revives an old thread.

Shut up and grow a pair, stop hiding here and take your 'rebuttal' directly to the TenFourFox people.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
diderot

Post by diderot »

Frank Lion wrote:Shut up and grow a pair, stop hiding here and take your 'rebuttal' directly to the TenFourFox people.

What a nice guy you are. I also posted the comment on their blog, and if I were "hiding" I wouldn't post a comment at all. TenFourFox developers complained that I criticized them "in public"--that is, here--so I am responding in the same thread that the relevant discussion took place.
malliz
Folder@Home

Post by malliz »

Sure you are not hiding :^o
What sort of man would put a known criminal in charge of a major branch of government? Apart from, say, the average voter.
"Terry Pratchett"
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

diderot wrote:What a nice guy you are.

To friends, yes, I am. To others, I am exactly what you see below my avatar.

Take this crap elsewhere or this thread will cease.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
mikedl

Post by mikedl »

Oh, look, we have the wannabe be moderator twins right above this post! :shock:

A thread about Macs and it appears neither of them are on a Mac, as they post, but feel the need to belittle another poster, who is actually using a Mac, in a thread about Macs ... Weird ... :?
"It may be that there are true demonstrations; but this is not certain. Thus, this proves nothing else but that it is not certain that all is uncertain, to the glory of skepticism." Pascal's Pensées
Hanki

Post by Hanki »

maybe time to close this Thread?
Omega X

Post by Omega X »

Definitely. PPC Macs are no longer supported and the thread is months old.
malliz
Folder@Home

Post by malliz »

mikedl wrote:Oh, look, we have the wannabe be moderator twins right above this post! :shock:

A thread about Macs and it appears neither of them are on a Mac, as they post, but feel the need to belittle another poster, who is actually using a Mac, in a thread about Macs ... Weird ... :?

How the hell do you know what we use in other areas of our careers ? Come on tell me now what my careers have been and what machines I have used in them. Come on do tell clever clogs otherwise :-#
What sort of man would put a known criminal in charge of a major branch of government? Apart from, say, the average voter.
"Terry Pratchett"
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

mikedl wrote:Oh, look, we have...

...mikedll. Take your bitchin' to Site Discussion, girlfriend. It's off topic here.