About:Snappy

Discussion about official Mozilla Firefox builds
Omega X

Re: About:Snappy

Post by Omega X »

But the Internetz says that Flash is dead. Well, atleast that's how they are treating it anyway.
nadark

Post by nadark »

Did they put a date on the blog following this like Memshrink?
patrickjdempsey

Post by patrickjdempsey »

Omega X wrote:But the Internetz says that Flash is dead. Well, atleast that's how they are treating it anyway.

The king is dead! Long live the king! But seriously, considering how many websites still depend on Flash, and the fact that HTML5 video can't magically replace Flash-based games or website UI (which is still used extensively for cheap website templates) I think we are still a long way off from seeing the death of Flash.
Tip of the day: If it has "toolbar" in the name, it's crap.
What my avatar is about: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamonkey/addon/sea-fox/
Omega X

Post by Omega X »

I'm not so sure about the website UI thing since it takes them forever to transition to current trends. But yeah, the HTML5 video issue is still a deadlock.
Cru_N_cher

Post by Cru_N_cher »

Most problem is the overall state of Hardware support isn't given yet :( DSP support is still not widely achieved mostly just CPU also GPU support is not achieved yet and overall encoding needs more resources and this is without going into the patent issues just the technical side vs MPEG :(
Google won many wars but trying to beat one of the oldest IT worlds commercial research project is not a average task to achieve in some years (we talk about decades of patented signal processing research by worldwide mega corporations combined forming a almost unbeatable enemy) just buying ON2 and thinking they did it was a very childish thought if they really believed it :(
Living alongside them works fine see Micrsoft, On2, Real, Apple (which all of them except On2 were or still are somehow involved in it) but trying to kill them off establishing your solution as a standard for a whole medium (this case the internet) is like harakiri
Last edited by Cru_N_cher on November 20th, 2011, 2:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
_Alexander

Post by _Alexander »

Cru_N_cher wrote:Most problem is the overall state of Hardware support isn't given yet :( DSP support is still not widely achieved mostly just CPU also GPU support is not achieved yet and overall encoding needs more resources and this is without going into the patent issues just the technical side vs MPEG :(
Google won many wars but trying to beat one of the oldest IT worlds commercial research project is not a average task to achieve in some years (we talk about decades of patented signal processing research by worldwide mega corporations combined forming a almost unbeatable enemy) just buying ON2 and thinking they did it was a very childish thought if they really believed it :(

What does this have to do with anything?

If this has something to do with Firefox and Adobe Flash Player performance - I think it is obvious that this is Firefox's problem as Adobe Flash is de-facto best choice for performance-friendly video playback (except for non-DXVA formats).
http://magneticpudding.com/ <- My Blog
i5 3570k @ 4.5 Ghz / NV 660 / 32GB DDR3 / 1080p LCD / SSD (120 + 180) / W8 ||| Atom N270 / NV ION / 3GB DDR3 / SSD / 1366x768 / W8
Omega X

Post by Omega X »

Cru_N_cher wrote:Most problem is the overall state of Hardware support isn't given yet :( DSP support is still not widely achieved mostly just CPU also GPU support is not achieved yet and overall encoding needs more resources and this is without going into the patent issues just the technical side vs MPEG :(
Living alongside them works fine see Micrsoft, On2, Real, Apple (which all of them except On2 were or still are somehow involved in it) but trying to kill them off establishing your solution as a standard for a whole medium (this case the internet) is like harakiri

Buying On2 was all about controlling the vertical and the horizontal. They don't care about going up against MPEG except for where the web is concerned.
iwod

Post by iwod »

I would love to chim in on the stupidity of WebM, but let's keep the thread focus on Snappy.

Since Write Barrier has landed, what is stopping iGC from landing too? Since that was finish ages ago.
dbcooper.dk

Post by dbcooper.dk »

iwod wrote:I would love to chim in on the stupidity of WebM, but let's keep the thread focus on Snappy.

Since Write Barrier has landed, what is stopping iGC from landing too? Since that was finish ages ago.

They need to fuzz the write barriers. There are other parts that need to be finished too IIRC.
Omega X

Post by Omega X »

Just as long as they get it in before the 20th of December.
Zlip792

Post by Zlip792 »

If they ditched important project like Electrolysis in favour of this they should prove us that this was the reason. Personally I am also in favour of small wins over long time projects. Since rapid release cycle put them in much more competition so they need to evolve on short term basis. Snappy should means snappier in terms of speed of UI and internal functions. So lets see what they got up their sleeves.
LynCardinelli

Post by LynCardinelli »

i still feel like this is a higher level version of memshrink that has to do moreso with getting rid of unnecessary waiting and silly practices that slow things down. While this will probably work to a point, I don't get how they don't think that memshrink is doing the same thing at a lower level (or at least that's what nick N seemed to imply on his shpeal about how they might move away from directly memshrinking.
iwod

Post by iwod »

Apart from IGC, none of the current Snappy P1 are big wins...
dbcooper.dk

Post by dbcooper.dk »

I think that fixing the imagesuck bugs will make FF seem quite a bit more responsive too.
NoNameReally

Post by NoNameReally »

patrickjdempsey wrote:Adobe hasn't declared Flash dead, Adobe declared Flash too difficult to deploy for mobile.

My Android has flash... :-k