About:Snappy

Discussion about official Mozilla Firefox builds
Omega X

Re: About:Snappy

Post by Omega X »

Digitalfox wrote:I just wish people would just accept the criticism about it's declining performance and stop accusing the rest of the planet of being the problem.

And Snappy, SuperSnappy and Electrolysis, oh yeah it's so much faster now /s.

Yeah, you're definitely on something. Firefox gets faster every version, not slower.
patrickjdempsey

Post by patrickjdempsey »

Digitalfox wrote:I just wish people would just accept the criticism about it's declining performance and stop accusing the rest of the planet of being the problem.

I just wish people complaining about declining performance had some kind of concept of persistence of memory, or at least the decency to test older versions of the browsers side-by-side. I mean really... are you people even living on the SAME PLANET as the rest of us?
Tip of the day: If it has "toolbar" in the name, it's crap.
What my avatar is about: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamonkey/addon/sea-fox/
Grantius

Post by Grantius »

Digitalfox wrote:
LoudNoise wrote:Hera, you use Internet Explore and have forever. Is there any chance you can haunt their forums?

LoudNoise, I know you're a Moderator, but that makes you even more obligated to be impartial.

I'm a Firefox user since Firebird, but there's no denying that Firefox performance since 2.0 has degraded a lot. I find most of the complaints about Firefox slowness true and easily reproducible on my end.

I just wish people would just accept the criticism about it's declining performance and stop accusing the rest of the planet of being the problem.

And Snappy, SuperSnappy and Electrolysis, oh yeah it's so much faster now /s.

"If you're complaining so much, why are you still a Firefox user?" Simple, even if it's performance "sucks" there is no better browser for me, the GUI and extensions adjust to my daily usage perfectly.

I use around 30 extensions, some like HTTPS-everywhere, Scriptish and ABP are quite heavy on my browsing and you know what?

Its faster for me then stock Chrome.

What kind of hardware do you have? If its old perhaps an upgrade would be advisable.
Micro gaming box: AMD A10-7800 APU, 8gb RAM M350 ITX case (size of a book), Windows 10/Ubuntu
Tablet/Laptop: Asus Transformer T100, Intel Atom 2GB RAM, Windows 10 x86
Mobile:Xiaomi Redmi Note 3 Pro
iwod

Post by iwod »

The problem here is the perception of speed. It depends on your usage pattern i suppose. But for me Firefox is getting faster little by little, but also still a lot slower then Chrome in terms of UI response, i.e Snappiness. And i have only 1 Add on, Flashblock and no userscript running. Problem with UI halt such as finishing downloads, opening Tabs from other Computer, leaving Google Docs or Gmail Opened etc, still persist. And Flash is till another major causes of issues in Chrome Hangs, Crash etc.

So - Any update on SuperSnappy?
Str0ngwun

Post by Str0ngwun »

Grantius wrote:I use around 30 extensions, some like HTTPS-everywhere

why do you use it? are you aware that it is CRITICALLY vulnerable? the corresponding bug is still not fixed.
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

Digitalfox wrote:LoudNoise, I know you're a Moderator, but that makes you even more obligated to be impartial.

Guess you're kinda new around here.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
pao

Post by pao »

Str0ngwun wrote:
Grantius wrote:I use around 30 extensions, some like HTTPS-everywhere

why do you use it? are you aware that it is CRITICALLY vulnerable? the corresponding bug is still not fixed.

I suppose you're talking about this? It appears the general agreement in that bug (including from Georgio, who is unashamedly critical of things that aren't NoScript) is that it's not particularly exlploitable; it's fixed on the HTTPS Everywhere side as that bug indicates; it's completely fixed if you use the Tor-patched Firefox; and patches to fix it in mainline Firefox are in review.

Meanwhile, given there's no reports of this being a problem in the wild, and merely waiting for all the redirects to complete closes the exploitable window, I'll take my chances vs. having fewer encrypted sessions, thank you.
Str0ngwun

Post by Str0ngwun »

pao wrote:I suppose you're talking about this? It appears the general agreement in that bug (including from Georgio, who is unashamedly critical of things that aren't NoScript) is that it's not particularly exlploitable;

So if you hit "demo" button on this page with HTTPS Everywhere running - you don't get the address of the new tab spoofed?
pao wrote:it's fixed on the HTTPS Everywhere side as that bug indicates; it's completely fixed if you use the Tor-patched Firefox; and patches to fix it in mainline Firefox are in review.

Thus, users of non-"tor-patched" Firefox are vulnerable to address spoofing attacks, but everything you've said is absolutely true, sir.
pao wrote:Meanwhile, given there's no reports of this being a problem in the wild, and merely waiting for all the redirects to complete closes the exploitable window, I'll take my chances vs. having fewer encrypted sessions, thank you.

I won't judge how smart your choice is, since you are free to do whatever you like, but at least you are aware, that your system is critically vulnerable. I'm here to warn others.
pao

Post by pao »

Str0ngwun wrote:...but at least you are aware, that your system is critically vulnerable. I'm here to warn others.

Then please provide the relevant context by linking to the bugs in question to empower users. At any rate, this is off-topic.
Omega X

Post by Omega X »

iwod wrote:The problem here is the perception of speed. It depends on your usage pattern i suppose. But for me Firefox is getting faster little by little, but also still a lot slower then Chrome in terms of UI response, i.e Snappiness. And i have only 1 Add on, Flashblock and no userscript running. Problem with UI halt such as finishing downloads, opening Tabs from other Computer, leaving Google Docs or Gmail Opened etc, still persist. And Flash is till another major causes of issues in Chrome Hangs, Crash etc.

So - Any update on SuperSnappy?

No. But there's regular updates on OMTC in the GFX meetings.
squall_leonhart

Post by squall_leonhart »

Seemingly, MozillaQA are absolutely incompetent, so i need some of the capable mozillazine testers to check out comment 13 @ https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=781414 and test for themselves.
jhatax

Post by jhatax »

Taras just posted that TabStrip related Snappy fixes have been put on hold until after Australis lands: https://blog.mozilla.org/tglek/2012/10/15/snappy-40-faster-tabswitching-startup-analysis/

Though there has been progress on the Snappy front, there is merit to the complaint that the rate of Snappy fixes is not Snappy enough. This is fair because of the tools and infrastructure that needed to be put in place in order to investigate the real causes of the symptoms.

I am hoping that with the release of the profiler and other perf-related tools, project Snappy will finally deliver on its promise.

Manoj
Grantius

Post by Grantius »

jhatax wrote:Taras just posted that TabStrip related Snappy fixes have been put on hold until after Australis lands: https://blog.mozilla.org/tglek/2012/10/15/snappy-40-faster-tabswitching-startup-analysis/

Though there has been progress on the Snappy front, there is merit to the complaint that the rate of Snappy fixes is not Snappy enough. This is fair because of the tools and infrastructure that needed to be put in place in order to investigate the real causes of the symptoms.

I am hoping that with the release of the profiler and other perf-related tools, project Snappy will finally deliver on its promise.

Manoj

The Firefox of today is a completely different beast to 4.0.

They have most definitely kept up to the promise of being snappy...

There has been a ton, more like a megaton, of fixes to do with Snappy and Memshrink, which combined has made a hell of a difference in speed and memory usage. Problem now is that the low hanging fruit has been picked.
Micro gaming box: AMD A10-7800 APU, 8gb RAM M350 ITX case (size of a book), Windows 10/Ubuntu
Tablet/Laptop: Asus Transformer T100, Intel Atom 2GB RAM, Windows 10 x86
Mobile:Xiaomi Redmi Note 3 Pro
RNiK

Post by RNiK »

TheVisitor wrote:
Rodze wrote:Am I the only whose virus scan at the end of a download sometimes locks up the entire browser? Especially the first time in a new session.

Using Microsoft Security Essentials.

Its related to the additon of the mozilla maint module used for the 'silent' updates. Ever since it was added scanning downloaded Firefox builds/updating/and just scanning Firefox.exe is slow. To get around the download hang I have set the pref in
about:config - browser.download.manager.scanWhenDone to 'false'

+1 :wink:
MondoWin ==> Italian site for information about MS Windows tweaking
_Alexander

Post by _Alexander »

This bugs is an interesting read,
https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=626245

Summary:
1. Firefox renders plugins completely out of place.
2. There is no easy solution to fully fix #1
3. Smooth Scrolling makes things a lot more visible
http://magneticpudding.com/ <- My Blog
i5 3570k @ 4.5 Ghz / NV 660 / 32GB DDR3 / 1080p LCD / SSD (120 + 180) / W8 ||| Atom N270 / NV ION / 3GB DDR3 / SSD / 1366x768 / W8