About:Snappy

Discussion about official Mozilla Firefox builds
iwod

Re: About:Snappy

Post by iwod »

Looks like they are looking at FTS alternative again. Current Awesomebar FTS represents 90% of all Places memory usage, as well many of the SQL slowness.
patrickjdempsey

Post by patrickjdempsey »

Had to look that up: Full Text Search: https://wiki.mozilla.org/Firefox/Projec ... Awesomebar
Tip of the day: If it has "toolbar" in the name, it's crap.
What my avatar is about: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamonkey/addon/sea-fox/
sdrocking

Post by sdrocking »

Bug 711193 - Turn on "don't load tabs until selected" by default - is now "Snappy:P1" :D
patrickjdempsey

Too had they won't load bookmarks folders progressively. Especially since this is a common work-around that users need to use for the fact that you can't save a Tab Group yet. :roll:
What my avatar is about: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamonkey/addon/sea-fox/
firefoxfever

Post by firefoxfever »

All these startup and responsiveness improvements seem to target windows only. I know MS-Windows dominates the market, but would be nice if the linux builds also got some love.

Perhaps someone at Mozilla can run 'official' benchmarks between Windows and Linux builds (on Ubuntu?) and then compare and decide how much work -if any- the linux builds needs.
patrickjdempsey

The two mentioned right here on this page are platform-agnostic.
malliz
Folder@Home

Post by malliz »

Plus it would be better testing on the most popular Distro which is I believe now is Mint
What sort of man would put a known criminal in charge of a major branch of government? Apart from, say, the average voter.
"Terry Pratchett"
lithopsian

Post by lithopsian »

Mint is still essentially Ubuntu (except for Mint Debian!) so I wouldn't panic too much about which is the most popular. Whichever detailed popularity contest you believe, there are still far fewer people running Mint than running something else so there will always be difficulties testing for Linux.
iwod

Post by iwod »

sdrocking wrote:Bug 711193 - Turn on "don't load tabs until selected" by default - is now "Snappy:P1" :D

Too had they won't load bookmarks folders progressively. Especially since this is a common work-around that users need to use for the fact that you can't save a Tab Group yet.

I absolute hate the idea of Dont Load until Selected. Hopefully this is only a temporary measures. If Chrome and Opera cant both loads LOTS of tabs at startup without being UNsnappy then clearly there is something wrong on Firefox side.

And i agree that we should load bookmarks AND Tabs on startup progressively at LOW priority rather then not loading it.
mattcoz

Post by mattcoz »

iwod wrote:
sdrocking wrote:Bug 711193 - Turn on "don't load tabs until selected" by default - is now "Snappy:P1" :D

Too had they won't load bookmarks folders progressively. Especially since this is a common work-around that users need to use for the fact that you can't save a Tab Group yet.

I absolute hate the idea of Dont Load until Selected. Hopefully this is only a temporary measures.

It's just a change of the default value of that option, you can just change it if you don't like it.
Str0ngwun

Post by Str0ngwun »

mattcoz wrote:It's just a change of the default value of that option, you can just change it if you don't like it.

But then laggs will come back. He says that instead of investigating and fixing the problem of Firefox chrome lags when multiple pages are getting loaded - mozdev just try to evade the problem, leaving it unsolved.
patrickjdempsey

Str0ngwun wrote:
mattcoz wrote:It's just a change of the default value of that option, you can just change it if you don't like it.

But then laggs will come back. He says that instead of investigating and fixing the problem of Firefox chrome lags when multiple pages are getting loaded - mozdev just try to evade the problem, leaving it unsolved.

The whole problem is caused by the fact that chrome and content exist in the same process in Firefox. That isn't a Snappy issue... that's a Electrolysis issue. Right now Mozilla has put Electrolysis on the back-burner (which often means death for Mozilla projects BTW) to focus on things which can generate at least some of the wins of Electrolysis without having to completely rewrite the entire program, which they call Snappy. One of the ironies here is that even if they had done Electrolysis, even after rewriting everything in Firefox to be able to handle chrome and content separation... they would STILL need to do Snappy because separating content and chrome doesn't automatically generate as many wins as most people assume.
Pravda

Post by Pravda »

patrickjdempsey wrote:generate at least some of the wins of Electrolysis without having to completely rewrite the entire program, which they call Snappy.

Snappy and Electrolysis are mostly orthogonal to each other. Many of the Snappy issues would have to be dealt with in an e10s world anyway such as main-thread i/o, sql optimizations and a more efficient disk cache which would all run in the chrome process and therefore not benefit from content being separated. Off the main thread compositing is the only issue I can think of which was originally intended to run in a separate process but is now meant to be just off the main thread. But if they get the fundamental design working it shouldn't be to difficult to return to the original design since the hard part is to make it asynchronous in the first place.
iwod

Post by iwod »

Arh... what has happened to Off the main thread compositing? I forgot to follow.
Pravda

Post by Pravda »

They are still working on it. Here is the tracking bug: https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=598873
You can't handle the правда!