About:Snappy

Discussion about official Mozilla Firefox builds
Omega X

Re: About:Snappy

Post by Omega X »

The off main thread work was originally for e10s. But there's still benefit for super snappy. I don't think blocks though.
Grantius

Post by Grantius »

Doesn't make it easier to eventually migrate to e10s?
Micro gaming box: AMD A10-7800 APU, 8gb RAM M350 ITX case (size of a book), Windows 10/Ubuntu
Tablet/Laptop: Asus Transformer T100, Intel Atom 2GB RAM, Windows 10 x86
Mobile:Xiaomi Redmi Note 3 Pro
dbcooper.dk

Post by dbcooper.dk »

OMT Image Encoding (thumbnails etc) is another.
Omega X

Post by Omega X »

Grantius wrote:Doesn't make it easier to eventually migrate to e10s?

Yeah, but for now e10s is a dead project.
patrickjdempsey

Post by patrickjdempsey »

Omega X wrote:

And honestly projects like per-tab-memory and per-tab-private-browsing are making all of the major reasons people demanded e10s redundant anyway.
Tip of the day: If it has "toolbar" in the name, it's crap.
What my avatar is about: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamonkey/addon/sea-fox/
iwod

Post by iwod »

Omega X wrote:The off main thread work was originally for e10s. But there's still benefit for super snappy. I don't think blocks though.

That is bad news then. I mean after all these years off main thread work is still not done. I wonder how much longer we have to wait.
Zlip792

Post by Zlip792 »

iwod wrote:
Omega X wrote:The off main thread work was originally for e10s. But there's still benefit for super snappy. I don't think blocks though.

That is bad news then. I mean after all these years off main thread work is still not done. I wonder how much longer we have to wait.

It is in progress but slowly like Off the Main thread Compositing is already enabled in Mobile Firefox and I think Linux and Mac is also near to go. Off The Main Thread Compilation with IM is gonna enable soon. Also Off The Main Thread decoding is soon to land. So overall they quite progressed. Good for us overall.
MINIDOU

Post by MINIDOU »

Omega X wrote:

you can easily imagine all these off main thread projects would have been steps for electrolysis anyway, so it's not much different from having the project alive and well, except we get to see incremental changes quicker, it's more agile, i like it
in the end, there won't be much left to do for a full multi process firefox
dbcooper.dk

Post by dbcooper.dk »

Zlip792 wrote:
iwod wrote:

It is in progress but slowly like Off the Main thread Compositing is already enabled in Mobile Firefox and I think Linux and Mac is also near to go. Off The Main Thread Compilation with IM is gonna enable soon. Also Off The Main Thread decoding is soon to land. So overall they quite progressed. Good for us overall.

Isn't OMT-Compilation already enabled in nightlies?
Zlip792

Post by Zlip792 »

dbcooper.dk wrote:Isn't OMT-Compilation already enabled in nightlies?

Yes it is, I think bug comments confused me. LOL!!
Ver Greeneyes

Post by Ver Greeneyes »

Don't forget off main thread downloads (already landed), off main thread session store access (bug 532150), off main thread local storage (bug 807021) and so on. Lots of main thread I/O bugs are in the process of being fixed right now - it's a good time to be a Nightly tester!
Are You A Wiiizard?

Post by Are You A Wiiizard? »

Ver Greeneyes wrote:it's a good time to be a Nightly tester!

For me nightly seems to be drawing the pages much faster but ~1/5 page loads it seems to lock-up for a bit.
C@rb0n

Post by C@rb0n »

patrickjdempsey wrote:And honestly projects like per-tab-memory...

What's the bug number? Are you revering to bug 687724?
iwod

Post by iwod »

Ver Greeneyes wrote:Don't forget off main thread downloads (already landed), off main thread session store access (bug 532150), off main thread local storage (bug 807021) and so on. Lots of main thread I/O bugs are in the process of being fixed right now - it's a good time to be a Nightly tester!

Looks like most of these are going to land soon. Great News!.
Zlip792

Post by Zlip792 »

Another snappy down, first shutdown improvement which as per Talos result improved shutdown great deal. Second snappy is Session file should be read on background thread landed on Inbound.