h.264 error

Discussion about official Mozilla Firefox builds
Pixel

Re: h.264 error

Post by Pixel »

Hera wrote:The solution is simply is to support System Codecs which avoids ALL issues with copyright/licensing.

Which would create Codec hell.
_Alexander

Post by _Alexander »

ferongr wrote:With <video> elements playing via Direct Show filters it's almost impossible to support things like 3D transforms, SVG effects or whatever a web designer might want to do, making 3rd party codecs second class citizens on the web. Hardware accelerated video is even worse when it comes to this.

Finally, h.264 on the Hi10P profile is unlikely to be widely supported. ASIC support is not here and will not be for the foreseeable future, if ever. Currently the only niche it serves is the anime fansubbing community, where it's used as a shortcut for best gradient quality instead of correct encoder tuning.

IE9 provides true hardware acceleration for h264 video, so it Firefox can do the same too. EDIT: Then again, Firefox managed to use Direct2D in such a way that it becomes slower... so, not so optimistic.

10-bit h264 makes sense quality/compression ratio wise - it makes no sense otherwise due to lack of hardware acceleration, poor support, and main consumers being pirates.

Pixel wrote:
Hera wrote:The solution is simply is to support System Codecs which avoids ALL issues with copyright/licensing.

Which would create Codec hell.

Not if you limit it to FFDSHOW and System provided codecs - which essentially is all you need anyway.
http://magneticpudding.com/ <- My Blog
i5 3570k @ 4.5 Ghz / NV 660 / 32GB DDR3 / 1080p LCD / SSD (120 + 180) / W8 ||| Atom N270 / NV ION / 3GB DDR3 / SSD / 1366x768 / W8
NoNameReally

Post by NoNameReally »

ferongr wrote:(Mozilla has the funds but does not support h.264 for ideological reasons I mostly agree with)

By their own license agreement, Mozilla is required to forever keep Firefox as open source software. To my understanding. Since H264 cannot be distributed as open source, it cannot be part of Firefox.

The end.
ferongr

Post by ferongr »

NoNameReally wrote:H264 cannot be distributed as open source

Yes it can. It's an open, documented format. One of the most popular h.264 encoders, x264 is Free Software.
What Falken giveth, the tōge taketh away.
_Alexander

Post by _Alexander »

^ MPC:HC, VLC, FFSHOW, DIX H264

But, bundling h264 decoder is needless bloat.

Mozilla needs to simple do the following,
- Add support for system-wide codecs
- White-list OS provided codecs and FFDSHOW
- Remove codecs that Mozilla already bundles with Firefox
http://magneticpudding.com/ <- My Blog
i5 3570k @ 4.5 Ghz / NV 660 / 32GB DDR3 / 1080p LCD / SSD (120 + 180) / W8 ||| Atom N270 / NV ION / 3GB DDR3 / SSD / 1366x768 / W8
StyleThing

Post by StyleThing »

everrrryone knows what mozilla needs to do, and how to do it properly, of course it is...
close this, I smell holywar about h264 coming
Firefox Release | Win8.1 x64 | AMD 6300 4Ghz x6 | AMD R9 270 2 GB for 1080p IPS | 4 GB RAM
LoudNoise

Post by LoudNoise »

Sorry, no holy wars here. Please continue.
Post wrangler
"Choose between the Food Select Feature or other Functions. If no food or function is chosen, Toast is the default."
404FNF

Post by 404FNF »

I DIDNOT UNDERSTAND ANY THING WRITTEN IN THE REPLIES , DOES ANYONE SPEAK NORMAL ENGLISH HERE?
malliz
Folder@Home

Post by malliz »

Well for a start don't use all caps it will get you ignored pretty fast. It is considered to be shouting and rude on all forums.
What sort of man would put a known criminal in charge of a major branch of government? Apart from, say, the average voter.
"Terry Pratchett"
404FNF

Post by 404FNF »

oh sorry i did not know that , i am extremely sorry , i am just wondering what they are talking about
Omega X

Post by Omega X »

Here's some simple and very normal english:

Firefox does not support h.264. It will not support h.264 because of royalties. That includes nightiles.

If you have a problem with VLC, then please contact VideoLAN for support.
404FNF

Post by 404FNF »

thank you very much
squall_leonhart

Post by squall_leonhart »

There is or was a plugin from Divx Networks to support the video tag with their player not sure though if that works with youtube HTML5 also it's mostly on ice (needs to be updated to much effort), these 3rd party solutions though are problematic if they don't evolve with the base browser so a native implementation is always the better thing.

i have a bug open to have that extension blocked because it removes any custom toolbar everytime it is enabled, disabled and updated
NoNameReally

Post by NoNameReally »

ferongr wrote:
NoNameReally wrote:H264 cannot be distributed as open source

Yes it can. It's an open, documented format. One of the most popular h.264 encoders, x264 is Free Software.

I'm not gonna argue because I'm not as sure as you seem to be, but I believe there is some incompatibility between the Mozilla Tri-License and the codec's license. And even if Firefox changed its license (again), I'd go for something like GPL and the incompatibilities would still be there. It's not that it's impossible to release as open source per se, it's that it's impossible to work as open source. As if you could theoretically make a lawyer out of a cadaver, but he would never be one, really.
ferongr

Post by ferongr »

NoNameReally wrote:I'm not gonna argue because I'm not as sure as you seem to be, but I believe there is some incompatibility between the Mozilla Tri-License and the codec's license. And even if Firefox changed its license (again), I'd go for something like GPL and the incompatibilities would still be there. It's not that it's impossible to release as open source per se, it's that it's impossible to work as open source. As if you could theoretically make a lawyer out of a cadaver, but he would never be one, really.

Do not confuse patent licensing with software copyrights. The GPL (and the L-GPL subsequently) do not care about whether the software is patent-encumbered, somebody sells binaries of it for profit (provided they comply with the terms of the license) or anything like that. The MPL is the same.
What Falken giveth, the tōge taketh away.