h.264 error

Discussion about official Mozilla Firefox builds
Mark342

Re: h.264 error

Post by Mark342 »

Cru_N_cher wrote:...will make touch and scroll very smooth in the Browser no strange glitches anymore though Google shows how this can be party achieved even on currrent Windows it's so damn smooth and shows only a slight amount of Picture ghosting (their new up/down smooth scroll) :) Firefoxs Smooth scroll in comparison still has major issues not only it's overloading the GPU but it also is far from smooth and if you got it smooth (only achievable with Vsync so Aero) @ one speed you gonna see pictures moving strangely trying to catch themselves up (ghosting) or gets many times disturbed when some load changes on other tabs take place (or several addons also amplify issues currently heavily the more of them the more problematic it gets though it's already bad enough with a clean profile) it's just a awe full experience on my Sandy Bridge GPU (low power IGP) compared to Google and not only that i describe another major issue in my Bugzilla report https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=702485 :( for me in Firefox its better to use no GPU stuff for the base rendering (only for techdemos and benchmarks optimized for extreme performance needs like Mozillas own Picture Whell) but that switch isnt dynamic enough and manually changing all the time seems not really 2011 ish ;)

Firefox, Aero, and Chrome are all doing very different things.
Firefox accelerates all page drawing and composition with Direct2D. Chrome only accelerates composition and Canvas drawing.
Needless to say, accelerating all page drawing is a much bigger workload for your GPU than just accelerating composition and the -almost never seen in the wild- canvas.

All Aero does is enable double buffering of windows (so no "streaks" appear when you move them) and a bunch of GPU accelerated effects like blur and the fancy WinKey + Tab window switcher.
Cru_N_cher

Post by Cru_N_cher »

Nope you can enable full acceleration on Chromeium since some time now and that's what i did this responsive tests with
Mark342

Post by Mark342 »

Cru_N_cher wrote:Nope you can enable full acceleration on Chromeium since some time now and that's what i did this responsive tests with

I cant seem to find this option anywhere.
Omega X

Post by Omega X »

The option is under 'about:flags'. Be warned, its kind of buggy from what I've experienced with it.
Mark342

Post by Mark342 »

Omega X wrote:The option is under 'about:flags'. Be warned, its kind of buggy from what I've experienced with it.

Nothing related to hardware acceleration of all page drawing on Chrome Canary, Dev, or Stable is in about:flags.
Thats the first place I checked for it....