Will Firefox follow Thunderbird to drop zip-builds?

Discussion about official Mozilla Firefox builds
BenneJezzerette

Post by BenneJezzerette »

wig_out_on_me wrote:If I recall correctly the resource shortage that was discussed in regards to this subject was mainly with internal QA for releases. I expect there is also a lack of resources with sufficient technical expertise for development as well.

I certainly hope that the update process is seriously improved but once again I believe that comes down to having resources with sufficient technical expertise for development. It also makes sense from a resource perspective to focus their efforts on fewer install paths and those that preferred the install path that is no longer supported are of course not going to be pleased. This will if anything free up resources to improve other areas for when IE7 is released.

The trouble with training and teaching is that entirely too many people don't bother to read the documentation. For example, here is a correspondence between one person and myself regarding spellbound.
user: It doesn't work... ramble ramble ramble... blah blah blah.
me: Did you try following the steps on the install page?
user: Thanks, that worked!

Would a decent doc on how to create your own zip build suffice? This would remove the problem of people not reading the docs and getting themselves into trouble and place the responsibility on the more experienced people that want to use zips.

*edited to add* Perhaps if someone volunteered their time and fixed / maintained the zips going forward so that they weren't so different than the installers they might release zips with the milestones again.

Applauds you, Agrees all the way around
Vista Home Premium 64 AMD 9950 Quad Core + 8GB DDR2 1066 1x500GB 1X750GB Partitioned 1X1TB MSI GTX260 896
Firefox Safe Browsing - Pocomail Safe E-Mail from Script Kitties
True Internet Surfing + E-Mail not Junk
ezhik

THE BIGGEST MISTAKE! Droping the zip Release

Post by ezhik »

Well,

hopefully this brings back the zip release

One small part of my work is to deploy new software on ca. 50 Computers (Windows XP). The easisest way to do this, is to just copy a couple of Files in a directory and set a link on the desktop. Because I am a lazy guy, I made a few scripts for deploying software automagically. The only thing to upgrade software like firefox before you dropped the zip release was to just copy the new version on the server. My script then deletes the old version on the desktop computer, copies the new version. Ready to go!

The Update Function, Installer Functions etc. is impossible to use by "normal" people. YES IT IS! A part of my users are nice women between 50 and 65. They are just users. If they hear about "Update Function", "Installers" or sth. else they stop working.

I have definetly absolute not enough time to use this installer manually on every computer!

So we stay with version 1.01 or go back to the Internet Explorer. :-(

With the ZIP File, live was so easy. I can´t understand, why you dropped it? Just open a download section for the experienced users with the ZIP Files. Normal single computer users will get the installer. And you got no worl left.

Btw. On my computer I used this "Update Function" today. It stopped working and always complains about a running firefox. Well there was no firefox.exe process running.
I seemed not the only one with "Installer Problems"

It seems, you get a lot of more support Request, because you dropped the version for admins.

Well a very very bad idea :-( :-( :-( :-( :-( :-( :-( :-( :-( :-( :-( :-( :-( :-( :-( :-( :-( :-( :-( :-( :-( :-( :-( :-( :-( :-( :-( :-( :-( :-( :-( :-( :-( :-( :-( :-( :-( :-( :-( :-( :-( :-( :-( :-( :-( :-( :-( :-( :-( :-( :-( :-( :-( :-( :-( :-( :-( :-( :-( :-( :-( :-( :-( :-( :-( :-( :-( :-( :-( :-( :-( :-( :-( :-( :-( :-( :-( :-( :-( :-( :-( :-( :-( :-( :-( :-( :-( :-( :-( :-( :-( :-( :-( :-( :-( :-( :-( :-(
GrailKnight

Post by GrailKnight »

wig_out_on_me
Hopefully when spellbound is on people's tongues it is without too many curse words.

I am going to go out on a limb and say 95% like Spellbound. :)

Also, if I get another email about not being able to install the dictionaries which I don't maintain or host or "it says I should re-install the libraries, what should I do" I might very well go postal.

Well you have inadvertently set yourself up for those questions, but don't go Postal when you can just play Postal.
You will stay out of trouble that way. :wink: :)
sasquatch

Post by sasquatch »

GrailKnight wrote:...
I think there is more going on behind the scenes then what is being told.

Agreed.

:-# :-k :oops: