[Azure] Thebes Wrapper work

Discussion about official Mozilla Firefox builds
Omega X

[Azure] Thebes Wrapper work

Post by Omega X »

Some of you probably already know about Bas' work. (Good, you've been paying attention! :D ) Keep in mind, this thread is for testers willing to test the new code. Check your unrelated complaints and comments at the door.

WARNING! VERY EARLY CODE WILL RESULT IN ABNORMAL OPERATION. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED.

Azure's Thebes Wrapper

The Azure-Thebes Wrapper work will be used to help Mozilla gradually move code over to use the Azure API. But before it can be used in the wild, it has to get stable. That's where the testers come in. The GFX Team needs people with Hardware Acceleration ON to poke and prod the new addition and report bugs. Grab a Nightly build if you don't already have it.

This is supported on Windows 7 and Windows Vista for now. Other platforms will be supported in a few weeks. When that happens, this message will be removed.

How to turn it on:

1. Open about:config. ( type in about:config into the Location bar and hit "Go" or Press "Enter" on your keyboard. )
2. Right Click for the menu, hover "New" and choose " Boolean".
3. Type "gfx.content.azure.enabled" in the box and hit "OK". In the next window choose "True".
4. Restart the browser for good measure.

How to turn it off:

1. Open about:config.
2. Find "gfx.content.azure.enabled" and double click the entry.
3. Restart the Browser.

Note: If you do not restart the browser afterward, the twilight zone oozes in. (Not really, weird paint issues crop up.)

Report the bugs in the "Core - Graphics" component and set them to block Bug 715768.

Known Issues:

- Subpixel Anti-Aliasing is currently not available.
- Backgrounds occasionally displays corrupt from certain elements like images with transparency or text when scrolling.
- Some JPEGs do not completely render until Images Discarding kicks in. (See Bug 715658)
- A crash will sometimes occur when you toggle Hardware Acceleration off while Azure-Thebes is still enabled. (Bug 715763)
- Not restarting after turning off Azure-Thebes will wake the dead. (Nah, chrome and content will paint erratic.) (Bug 715658)
- border-radius causes div backgrounds to shift. (Bug 717302)

What the what?:

Thebes - The original name for the C++ Wrapper that was created for Cairo. (Cairo, Thebes? Get it?)
Cairo - The current 2D API from the Cairo Graphics Project implemented since Firefox 3.
Azure - The new 2D API homegrown by Mozilla to replace Cairo in most cases due to performance reasons.

Did I get something wrong? Its not here? Speak up, I'll change it.

- QMO News
- Introduction to Azure | Joe Drew's Blog
Last edited by Omega X on January 12th, 2012, 10:29 pm, edited 3 times in total.
paul_f

Re: [Azure] Thebes Wrapper work

Post by paul_f »

Skia backend for Azure seems to be close for linux too. Exciting times all round.

https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=702158
dbcooper.dk

Post by dbcooper.dk »

Thanks for posting that OmegaX. Your note about subpixel AA saved me from filing an erroneous bug report.
nadark

Post by nadark »

Looks nice, I'm testing it right now.

Also, so far I haven't encountered anything outside of the Known bugs..
Would recaptcha only half shown on FS/DF/4chan/etc fall under:
- Some JPEGs do not completely render until Images Discarding kicks in?
It doesn't seem to be a very difficult thing to paint.

There also seems to be random leftovers after highlighting text, but they disappear after bring up the start menu or just selecting another program.
http://i.imgur.com/MPkqH.png
Can anyone confirm?

Secondly, can anyone be kind enough to explain to me what Skia and Emerald are for? And for what platforms they're aimed at? I don't think necroing that other thread who knows on what page now is a smart idea.

dbcooper.dk wrote:Thanks for posting that OmegaX. Your note about subpixel AA saved me from filing an erroneous bug report.

First thing I noticed.
Last edited by nadark on January 10th, 2012, 6:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Grantius

Post by Grantius »

nadark wrote:Looks nice, I'm testing it right now.

Also, so far I haven't encountered anything outside of the Known bugs..
Would recaptcha only half shown on FS/DF/4chan/etc fall under:
- Some JPEGs do not completely render until Images Discarding kicks in?
It doesn't seem to be a very difficult thing to paint.

There also seems to be random leftovers after highlighting text, but they disappear after bring up the start menu or just selecting another program.
http://i.imgur.com/MPkqH.png
Can anyone confirm?

Secondly, can anyone be kind enough to explain to me what Skia and Emerald are for? And for what platforms they're aimed at?

I would also like to know what the advantages of Skia etc are compared to current software.
Micro gaming box: AMD A10-7800 APU, 8gb RAM M350 ITX case (size of a book), Windows 10/Ubuntu
Tablet/Laptop: Asus Transformer T100, Intel Atom 2GB RAM, Windows 10 x86
Mobile:Xiaomi Redmi Note 3 Pro
trieste

Post by trieste »

Any way I can get this working for i945GM ? Slight masochistic tendencies here. :)
Omega X

Post by Omega X »

Does Firefox's hardware acceleration work on a i945GM? I should probably go dig up an old blacklist.
trieste

Post by trieste »

Supposedly this chipset does not support 4096^2 textures and cannot run acceleration, but all I see in Troubleshooting are things to do with wrong or mismatched driver versions. What's the correct error info for unsupported hardware?
JayhawksRock

Post by JayhawksRock »

quirK wrote:Supposedly this chipset does not support 4096^2 textures and cannot run acceleration, but all I see in Troubleshooting are things to do with wrong or mismatched driver versions. What's the correct error info for unsupported hardware?

I think thats the Generic Response for your adapter version. Most old or mobile Intel graphics are blacklisted.
"The trouble with quotes on the internet is you never know if they are genuine" ...Abraham Lincoln
_Dexter_

Post by _Dexter_ »

What exactly is Images Discarding?
Intel i7 Core Quad @ 4.25Ghz | Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus | 12GB PC3-16000 RAM | ASUS HD6970 2GB - 12.3 CATS | ASUS PA246Q IPS 24" LCD 16:10 | OCZ AGILITY-EX SSD SLC | Windows 7 SP1 x64 Ultimate
The Timmy

Post by The Timmy »

_Dexter_ wrote:What exactly is Images Discarding?

Omega X wrote:Firefox already uses Images Discarding which discards decompressed image data after either leaving the page or switching tabs for a while.

ref
iwod

Post by iwod »

I am on Windows 8 at the moment, so far so good.
trieste

Post by trieste »

JayhawksRock wrote:
quirK wrote:Supposedly this chipset does not support 4096^2 textures and cannot run acceleration, but all I see in Troubleshooting are things to do with wrong or mismatched driver versions. What's the correct error info for unsupported hardware?

I think thats the Generic Response for your adapter version. Most old or mobile Intel graphics are blacklisted.

Thanks for the info. I filed a bug to clarify the confusion.
Theliel

Post by Theliel »

Thank for the info Omega, working "fine" here, only some transparent tabs and no big regression after all. No crashes for the moment or other anomaly
Optimizer HD

Post by Optimizer HD »

The text is rendered somewhat oddly, with lesser space between consecutive characters, crispy, narrowed. Should I file a bug for this or is it already covered under some bug ?