[Azure] Thebes Wrapper work

Discussion about official Mozilla Firefox builds
ferongr

Re: [Azure] Thebes Wrapper work

Post by ferongr »

Zlip792 wrote:I think this might be the right thread to discuss, if not then please just ignore and I will tell moderator to delete this...
Whenever I open Firefox Nightly with Hardware Acceleration ON, it runs on 3D clocks and always fluctuates between two performance levels which you can say are higher power states... As a result 3D card has to consume more electricity which is not cheap here...
Can anyone tell, is there any way to get hardware acceleration for stuff but not letting your GPU to 3D clocks.. Chromium works perfect for me in this and remain in 2D clocks.
I own nvidia GPU..
Is there anyone else suffering from this? Any Bug related to it.

I have no such issues with an 6850 using the latest stable Catalyst drivers. Scrolling the page obviously boosts the GPU a higher power profile (600/300-500 MHz Core/Memory) but that's expected since Fx renders everything to a layer for smooth scrolling, something IE doesn't do (since people like to compare Fx with IE, disregarding the fact that they are completely different from an engineering standpoint). When I leave the window idle clocks drop immediately to 100/150. I have no issue with this FWIW. Since the temperature doesn't get affected it means that the actual consumption of the card doesn't change (all power inputted to a GPU is converted 100% to heat minus the miniscule amounts of power used to send singals down the PCIe bus and display connectors).
What Falken giveth, the tōge taketh away.
Zlip792

Post by Zlip792 »

ferongr wrote:
Zlip792 wrote:I think this might be the right thread to discuss, if not then please just ignore and I will tell moderator to delete this...
Whenever I open Firefox Nightly with Hardware Acceleration ON, it runs on 3D clocks and always fluctuates between two performance levels which you can say are higher power states... As a result 3D card has to consume more electricity which is not cheap here...
Can anyone tell, is there any way to get hardware acceleration for stuff but not letting your GPU to 3D clocks.. Chromium works perfect for me in this and remain in 2D clocks.
I own nvidia GPU..
Is there anyone else suffering from this? Any Bug related to it.

I have no such issues with an 6850 using the latest stable Catalyst drivers. Scrolling the page obviously boosts the GPU a higher power profile (600/300-500 MHz Core/Memory) but that's expected since Fx renders everything to a layer for smooth scrolling, something IE doesn't do (since people like to compare Fx with IE, disregarding the fact that they are completely different from an engineering standpoint). When I leave the window idle clocks drop immediately to 100/150. I have no issue with this FWIW. Since the temperature doesn't get affected it means that the actual consumption of the card doesn't change (all power inputted to a GPU is converted 100% to heat minus the miniscule amounts of power used to send singals down the PCIe bus and display connectors).

You are not facing this issue since you are on AMD... I am on Nvidia...
Nvidia Driver FTW!!! Always introduce new bugs...
ferongr

Post by ferongr »

Zlip792 wrote:You are not facing this issue since you are on AMD... I am on Nvidia...

(And two weeks ago while waiting for the parts to arrive I was still hesitant for picking the 6850 instead of a lower-performing nVidia card at the same price, because of that "no drivers" meme)
What Falken giveth, the tōge taketh away.
Zlip792

Post by Zlip792 »

ferongr wrote:
Zlip792 wrote:You are not facing this issue since you are on AMD... I am on Nvidia...

(And two weeks ago while waiting for the parts to arrive I was still hesitant for picking the 6850 instead of a lower-performing nVidia card at the same price, because of that "no drivers" meme)

Even though nvidia driver support is great but bugs they generate sometime on system level is very annoying.. Like currently after boot screen to Welcome screen in between, my and others 16:10 monitors go to sleep mode and turn on back afterwards. :mrgreen:
Annoying bugs...
Next Beta driver is expected to have 3D clock issue fix.. Lets see.