Australis Discussion

Discussion about official Mozilla Firefox builds
StinDaWg

Re: Australis Discussion

Post by StinDaWg »

Tried the UX build, tabs look really messed up when you have a lot of them open. Favicon of tab in use is too big and covers up the tabs next to it. Anyone else see this?
JayhawksRock

Post by JayhawksRock »

Dont see that at all. Did you try safe mode? or at least disabling any extension or CSS that affects tabs. The curved tab styling is going to break lots of extensions and vice-versa.
"The trouble with quotes on the internet is you never know if they are genuine" ...Abraham Lincoln
patrickjdempsey

Post by patrickjdempsey »

Yeah, any extensions or userChrome hacks for tabs should be disabled for Australis. Just like they all broke when 4.0 came out.
Tip of the day: If it has "toolbar" in the name, it's crap.
What my avatar is about: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamonkey/addon/sea-fox/
StinDaWg

Post by StinDaWg »

I'm using custom tab width extension to get back having more tabs before you have to scroll since they changed the preference. I guess that is not compatible. Too bad because I don't plan on going back to the new style of tab restrictions.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-us/firefo ... tab-width/
sdrocking

Post by sdrocking »

StinDaWg wrote:I'm using custom tab width extension to get back having more tabs before you have to scroll since they changed the preference. I guess that is not compatible. Too bad because I don't plan on going back to the new style of tab restrictions.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-us/firefo ... tab-width/

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... noverflow/ still works! (Use it with the default settings)
Omega X

Post by Omega X »

I don't know if anyone noticed but the tabs just got r+. They want to fix the perf issues in separate bugs.
nadark

Post by nadark »

Omega X wrote:I don't know if anyone noticed but the tabs just got r+. They want to fix the perf issues in separate bugs.

And we all know that performance regression won't be fixed until Fx30.
Grantius

Post by Grantius »

nadark wrote:
Omega X wrote:I don't know if anyone noticed but the tabs just got r+. They want to fix the perf issues in separate bugs.

And we all know that performance regression won't be fixed until Fx30.

Snappy fixed tabs, UI break tabs. Rinse and repeat.
Micro gaming box: AMD A10-7800 APU, 8gb RAM M350 ITX case (size of a book), Windows 10/Ubuntu
Tablet/Laptop: Asus Transformer T100, Intel Atom 2GB RAM, Windows 10 x86
Mobile:Xiaomi Redmi Note 3 Pro
Omega X

Post by Omega X »

Atleast they know where the regressions are this time around.
nwg

Post by nwg »

They should fix them then, and release the new tabs afterwards. Fx has finally come to a point were UI performance is on par with the competition if not better.
iwod

Post by iwod »

Sorry i haven't been following the new UI development. Are there any elements filtering down to Nightly or Aurora Yet? Or are they still in the UI branch?
StinDaWg

Post by StinDaWg »

nwg wrote:They should fix them then, and release the new tabs afterwards. Fx has finally come to a point were UI performance is on par with the competition if not better.

Seriously? Firefox UI still feels much less responsive than Chrome and IE10. I'm hoping that all the supersnappy projects and OMTC will fix this, but they aren't even close yet.
nwg

Post by nwg »

StinDaWg wrote:
nwg wrote:They should fix them then, and release the new tabs afterwards. Fx has finally come to a point were UI performance is on par with the competition if not better.

Seriously? Firefox UI still feels much less responsive than Chrome and IE10. I'm hoping that all the supersnappy projects and OMTC will fix this, but they aren't even close yet.

Not on my tests. Try an early version of Chrome and you'll be surprised how much more bloated and heavy it feels now. Especially after opening a few tabs. Sometimes I get a 1 second delay (or more) between clicking "close tab" and the tab actually closing.

As for IE, it loads faster yes, and has no tab opening animation. I have disabled those in Fx and it feels just about as snappy.

Anyway this from my testing, on my machine. Could be placebo or prejudice, although I think not.
KilliK

Post by KilliK »

nwg wrote:
lucasbytegenius wrote:
Omega X wrote:You're a year too late for that. The projects are already underway for better responsiveness. For example, compare Firefox 4 to Firefox 18.

Sure, Firefox 18 is less laggy than previous versions, but what really matters to me is how it compares to the competition.

The problem is that lots of people have opinions based on hearsay or past facts. Even today I read on forums that Firefox is a memory hog. Google on the other hand has a way of keeping Chrome's shortcomings under the rug. I haven't yet read a review that says how bad Chrome's font rendering is on Windows compared to Firefox and IE. You've got to google it to find relevant information.

and let's not forget Chrome's page white flashing whenever you switch tabs. This is an internal flaw of Chrome's architecture and it exists since forever.
i am surprised that not only nobody is bothered by that but it is never brought up when FF's "slow" snappiness is compared with the competition.
When i switch to a page, i expect to see immediately that page and not a white blank page which takes a second to be rendered into the proper page. is this supposed to be snappy?

nwg wrote:
StinDaWg wrote:

Not on my tests. Try an early version of Chrome and you'll be surprised how much more bloated and heavy it feels now. Especially after opening a few tabs. Sometimes I get a 1 second delay (or more) between clicking "close tab" and the tab actually closing.

exactly that.
Astrophizz

Post by Astrophizz »

ominus wrote:and let's not forget Chrome's page white flashing whenever you switch tabs. This is an internal flaw of Chrome's architecture and it exists since forever.
i am surprised that not only nobody is bothered by that but it is never brought up when FF's "slow" snappiness is compared with the competition.
When i switch to a page, i expect to see immediately that page and not a white blank page which takes a second to be rendered into the proper page. is this supposed to be snappy?

Chrome only does that if there are a number of tabs a tab's graphics get cached after not being accessed for a while. If you have a lot of tabs open, especially without much system memory, then yeah it can get annoying.