Australis Discussion

Discussion about official Mozilla Firefox builds
WaltS48

Re: Australis Discussion

Post by WaltS48 »

Alice0775 wrote:Ugly Australis. Who like Australis?

I like Australis in my Thunderbird. When is Firefox catching up?
Linux Desktop - AMD Athlon(tm) II X3 455 3.3GHz | 8.0GB RAM | GeForce GT 630
Windows Notebook - AMD A8 7410 2.2GHz | 6.0GB RAM | AMD Radeon R5
Drumbrake

Post by Drumbrake »

The curved tab design doesn't look like the worse thing in Australis from my point of view,after all it isn't so bad and I would go as far as saying it has maybe a more modern look ,the real bad news are IMHO somewhere else,namely the stupid youtube/chrome style new menu button and even worse the removal of the addon bar,both of them erasing two new features touted as great features at the launch of Firefox 4,and -from what I've gathered so far- greatly limiting the amount of customization that we're currently used to.Not good at all [-X
JayhawksRock

Post by JayhawksRock »

Drumbrake wrote:even worse the removal of the addon bar,[-X

Really ? Todays update to my try-build sitll has it with Status-4-Evar just doing what it always does along with 4 other items .. ABP, etc.

Maybe a Linux thing if its missing on yours?
"The trouble with quotes on the internet is you never know if they are genuine" ...Abraham Lincoln
sabret00the

Post by sabret00the »

It's a much nicer user experience to have no image on background tabs. I do think the shape could be different, but in this case, it's the most natural shape.
Drumbrake

Post by Drumbrake »

JayhawksRock wrote:
Drumbrake wrote:even worse the removal of the addon bar,[-X

Really ? Todays update to my try-build sitll has it with Status-4-Evar just doing what it always does along with 4 other items .. ABP, etc.

Maybe a Linux thing if its missing on yours?

The Linux thing is that there's no Australis builds (yet) :wink: at least as far as I know,I've learned about the removal of the addon bar and the new (ugly) menu button from the mockups and the discussion going on here.
If the removal of the addon bar really lands,I'd just want to ask them how do they plan to stuff this Image into the URL bar.
Omega X

Post by Omega X »

Drumbrake wrote:If the removal of the addon bar really lands,I'd just want to ask them how do they plan to stuff this Image into the URL bar.

An overflow glyph most likely. Or they can use the android method and visualize an icon with most used at the top of a stack.
Binary Alchemist

Post by Binary Alchemist »

Drumbrake wrote:The Linux thing is that there's no Australis builds (yet) :wink: at least as far as I know,I've learned about the removal of the addon bar and the new (ugly) menu button from the mockups and the discussion going on here.
If the removal of the addon bar really lands,I'd just want to ask them how do they plan to stuff this Image into the URL bar.

:-k Current mockups make me think of a single add-on icon in the URL bar; on click or hover it would expand into a 2D menu of icons. This arrangement could easily accommodate what people had in the 1D add-on bar and then allow for other kinds of widgets as add-on developers upgrade.

One more level of indirection? Yes. A less cluttered UI? That too. :wink:
“Do you understand what’s going on?”
“Not at all,” he shouted back. “I can almost prove this can’t be happening.”

Firefox Release Engineering Carl Sagan, Contact
patrickjdempsey

Post by patrickjdempsey »

Yes, the plan is to allow users to put all of this stuff in the menu... although honestly the menu wouldn't be anywhere near large enough to accommodate all of this. UI Obfuscation has become the RULE instead of the exception to the rule at Mozilla.
Tip of the day: If it has "toolbar" in the name, it's crap.
What my avatar is about: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamonkey/addon/sea-fox/
chaoky

Post by chaoky »

I wonder how implementation into Gnome3 will look like. Personally, I think the UX team should focus more on adwaita+gnome3 (which is available for ALL Linux distros and versatile), rather than working on Ubuntu only theme as a priority, (which, sadly, is what a lot of projects are doing in regards to their Linux implementations).
The interface looks a lot cleaner to me definitely. It looks a lot like the theme Firefox 4 had in the early Minefield stages before the tabs were given square looks.
Surely Chrome will drop H.264, lets just wait...
sabret00the

Post by sabret00the »

chaoky wrote:I wonder how implementation into Gnome3 will look like. Personally, I think the UX team should focus more on adwaita+gnome3 (which is available for ALL Linux distros and versatile), rather than working on Ubuntu only theme as a priority, (which, sadly, is what a lot of projects are doing in regards to their Linux implementations).
The interface looks a lot cleaner to me definitely. It looks a lot like the theme Firefox 4 had in the early Minefield stages before the tabs were given square looks.

They're going with the numbers. If only they'd prioritise Windows design above that of Mac, they'd have a clean sweep in logical design decisions.
patrickjdempsey

Good luck, the designs are being done ON Mac's.
What my avatar is about: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamonkey/addon/sea-fox/
Drumbrake

Post by Drumbrake »

So,does it go like that:designs intended to run mainly on windows are written and tested on MAC,then when someone remembers there's Linux too to take care of,they hack something of the above mainly for Ubuntu ? If so,it's a miracle that something works at all ;)
patrickjdempsey

That's basically the gist of it.
Drumbrake

Post by Drumbrake »

That's fantastic ](*,)
OT : nonetheless,elsewhere you suggest me to file a bug for a Ubuntu/Firefox issue that only happens with some advanced graphic effects with (maybe) some graphic cards only :wink: I have a feeling that no one will ever care,let's hope they will prove me wrong on this one.
patrickjdempsey

To make matters worse, some Linux distros include a "fix" extension that breaks things worse.