Australis Discussion

Discussion about official Mozilla Firefox builds
Omega X

Re: Australis Discussion

Post by Omega X »

Australis has been coming for years now. Slow and delayed is something we already know.
Hanki

Post by Hanki »

get actual facts before spreading FUD dude, tho i wouldnt mind betting it'll get shifted to Firefox20.
bogas04

Post by bogas04 »

I am glad that FF Devs are taking time and working on proper UI than just implementing it right away. I see how they are improving their mockups and concepts every week (in the meeting minutes) , feels good :)
bogas04.github.io
MacBook Air Mid 2013 |@bogas04
patrickjdempsey

Post by patrickjdempsey »

ziz4rd wrote:Today I found this, apparently Australis will come in Firefox 20
https://www.dropbox.com/s/s5imidkd7i16m ... 282%29.jpg
https://www.dropbox.com/s/kqxda7202dn5l ... Dtulo3.jpg

See here:
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=2512745

There's a try build available but it's never been updated for the Customization part to actually work.
Tip of the day: If it has "toolbar" in the name, it's crap.
What my avatar is about: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamonkey/addon/sea-fox/
Hanki

Post by Hanki »

plus ic'e put a link in the first post with a link to downloading a Australis Tab try build ( no mac builds available )
Marsu42

Post by Marsu42 »

I tried the test build on Win7/Aero and have to say I'm glad Firefox is constantly moving forward like with Australis - thumbs up!

If features and designs are thought through they should be implemented for the general public with the legacy version still available as an options or add-ons, and not the other way around - Firefox/Phoenix didn't reach this stage by being overly conservative.
Anonymosity

Post by Anonymosity »

I am really glad I am not using Windows any more. Putting text on a semitransparent or transparent background does not make it easy to read.
KWierso

Post by KWierso »

Anonymosity wrote:I am really glad I am not using Windows any more. Putting text on a semitransparent or transparent background does not make it easy to read.

Then you'll be glad to know that Windows 8 has dropped transparency from the desktop... :-"
StinDaWg

Post by StinDaWg »

Is Australis a whole new codebase or is it just a skin on top of Firefox? In other words, will there be any performance improvements, or is it just going to be a different look? Really hope someday the UI lag will be gone from Firefox.
Omega X

Post by Omega X »

StinDaWg wrote:Is Australis a whole new codebase or is it just a skin on top of Firefox? In other words, will there be any performance improvements, or is it just going to be a different look? Really hope someday the UI lag will be gone from Firefox.

Australis is the name of the current Firefox theme that's being rolled out in very slow increments.

Performance improvements are always constant in every version.
patrickjdempsey

"Australis" is mostly a theme refresh but also includes many interface changes such as the new urlbar, new customization/menu stuff, and a handful of things that were planned for Firefox 4.0 but never made it such as the downloads manager.
What my avatar is about: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamonkey/addon/sea-fox/
StinDaWg

Post by StinDaWg »

Omega X wrote:
StinDaWg wrote:Is Australis a whole new codebase or is it just a skin on top of Firefox? In other words, will there be any performance improvements, or is it just going to be a different look? Really hope someday the UI lag will be gone from Firefox.

Australis is the name of the current Firefox theme that's being rolled out in very slow increments.

Performance improvements are always constant in every version.

Right, but if it's just a new theme it's not going to directly have any performance benefits, correct? I guess I'll just keep waiting for OMTC and more snappy fixes to hit in the coming months.
Zlip792

Post by Zlip792 »

It does have performance improvement with itself like I remember reading back that it does not have any gradients which counts as one of the most expensive part of current UI drawing, so it will probably good in start as well.
Yeah! Off the main thread speedups will help greatly in Firefox snappiness.
patrickjdempsey

Yes, Themes CAN have performance gains. SVG, animated icons, transition animations, gradients and more icons all drag the browser down. Unfortunately, the default theme is becoming a bloated mess, largely due to supporting devtools and other rarely-used features. At this point Mozilla is playing more of a "balancing game" than an actual performance win game IMO.
Omega X

Post by Omega X »

I can't see how Dev Tools enters this picture. Dev Tools has its own theme separate from Australis.