Australis Discussion

Discussion about official Mozilla Firefox builds
patrickjdempsey

Re: Australis Discussion

Post by patrickjdempsey »

_matt_ wrote:
patrickjdempsey wrote:Also, multi-row tabs isn't a stock feature and it looks terrible with every single theme other than the default already because it's specifically designed *for* the default theme.

I don't think multi-row tabs look terrible at all with NASA Night Launch.

When discussing themes in general, the #1 theme for years and years, which has more users than many of the popular extensions, probably shouldn't be considered as an average metric. ;) It's also possible that either TMP directly support NNL or the other way around. I personally don't support it because I've found that the settings are so labyrinthine and the changes it makes to the theme structure so extreme, that my attempts to support it fail for users with slightly different settings. It's frustrating enough trying to keep up with Mozilla's shenanigans.
Tip of the day: If it has "toolbar" in the name, it's crap.
What my avatar is about: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamonkey/addon/sea-fox/
Hanki

Post by Hanki »

when are they looking at bringing this Theme in to be tested ?
Hanki

Post by Hanki »

bogas04 wrote:Image

Not only the curved tabs , but also the settings button is taken blindly from Chrome. I mean the only element after tabs on top which distinguished us from chrome was this Firefox Menu Button which IMO came coz of the Windows7 apps/Office App/Ribbon UI(Major in Win8) look , and now its going away for idk which reason...

I think there is some conspiracy going on in the Mozilla HQ , they are planning to doom Mozilla Firefox if not Earth in 2012.

have you got a Feature Page URL for this ?
patrickjdempsey

Hank- wrote:when are they looking at bringing this Theme in to be tested ?

In a rapid releases development environment? my guess is that bits and pieces will land over the course of the next 6 months wildly confusing the heck out of everyone.
What my avatar is about: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamonkey/addon/sea-fox/
_matt_

Post by _matt_ »

patrickjdempsey wrote:
_matt_ wrote:
patrickjdempsey wrote:Also, multi-row tabs isn't a stock feature and it looks terrible with every single theme other than the default already because it's specifically designed *for* the default theme.

I don't think multi-row tabs look terrible at all with NASA Night Launch.

When discussing themes in general, the #1 theme for years and years, which has more users than many of the popular extensions, probably shouldn't be considered as an average metric. ;)

Hey, man, you're the one who said "every single theme." :P

patrickjdempsey wrote:It's frustrating enough trying to keep up with Mozilla's shenanigans.

patrickjdempsey wrote:my guess is that bits and pieces will land over the course of the next 6 months wildly confusing the heck out of everyone.

:lol: :lol: :lol: Seriously, my hat is off to all you theme builders who even attempt to roll with the punches.
Hanki

Post by Hanki »

patrickjdempsey wrote:
Hank- wrote:when are they looking at bringing this Theme in to be tested ?

In a rapid releases development environment? my guess is that bits and pieces will land over the course of the next 6 months wildly confusing the heck out of everyone.

your probably right. this rapid Release Cycle sucks
patrickjdempsey

I don't really think RR sucks, I think the way Mozilla has chosen to deploy unfinished new features and then spend 4 or 5 versions tweaking them, or disabling working features before landing a replacement (unfinished or otherwise) sucks.
nadark

Post by nadark »

Hank- wrote:
bogas04 wrote:Image

Not only the curved tabs , but also the settings button is taken blindly from Chrome. I mean the only element after tabs on top which distinguished us from chrome was this Firefox Menu Button which IMO came coz of the Windows7 apps/Office App/Ribbon UI(Major in Win8) look , and now its going away for idk which reason...

I think there is some conspiracy going on in the Mozilla HQ , they are planning to doom Mozilla Firefox if not Earth in 2012.

have you got a Feature Page URL for this ?

Mozilla should seriously consider putting the zoom buttons outside the customize screen by default, that or at least somewhere in the Menu button, not many people use keyboard shortcuts.
It's also quite archaic, doesn't show the zoom level and requires a lot of clicks, a slider would be a great idea.
Why isn't this simple UX change considered?
Hanki

Post by Hanki »

patrickjdempsey wrote:I don't really think RR sucks, I think the way Mozilla has chosen to deploy unfinished new features and then spend 4 or 5 versions tweaking them, or disabling working features before landing a replacement (unfinished or otherwise) sucks.

perhaps your right there, looks like there gonna do that with the new DM land it and tweak it within versions.

its to hard to remember KB shortcuts when one has to remember everything else
Tss

Post by Tss »

sdrocking wrote:Bug 727650 - Implement the new Australis styling for the navbar
Is the star button also moving out of the URL bar?
Well, at least in this bug they are not touching the tabs. Maybe there is hope?
patrickjdempsey

That's because the bug is only for styling the navbar itself. They are pushing styling of tabs to a different bug because that's a whole different monster. It's really not uncommon for big projects to get split up into smaller bugs. It doesn't mean those projects are not going to happen, it just makes it easier to track them, especially for regressions. I'm sure the new styles for the buttons will end up in a different bug as well.
Omega X

Post by Omega X »

They did it that way the last time.
Astrophizz

Post by Astrophizz »

Canyonero wrote:
Astrophizz wrote:
patrickjdempsey wrote:I personally think they are taking the curvy tabs thing WAYYY too far, and I'm hoping at some point someone reins them in and says "hey, lets just go for the tab shape we had planning for 4.0."

I agree. One of the things that puzzles me about Chrome's tabs is that the clickable area for each tab actually matches its shape, so you can click in between tabs to move the window, or click overlapping parts. I assume in Firefox it would just be a box around a curved shape, which could have some useability issues. I'm a fan of the alternate, squarer, Australis tabs.

We do take alpha into account with our hit detection, just like happens on web pages with funky shaped round or transparent things. We might have to write up a fancy widget so that the area behind the tabs was a window dragger. It would probably be one of those things that no one uses. BUT doing it makes people feel like you've paid attention to the details.

That's not the case right now with the UI. Note the back button is actually a square with a circular image. Another example is the site information balloon's corners where if you click in the transparent area just beyond the rounded corners, the bubble doesn't close because it doesn't lose focus. It does seem to work with SVGs though, like here http://www.codedread.com/dragtest3.svg
patrickjdempsey

If they only detected the visible parts of buttons then themes that don't have button surrounds would require the user to perfectly target the thin width of the button glyph, which would be a major usability issue. If I'm understanding Canyonero's comment correctly, they can specify that certain elements will not accept hits outside of the visible parts of the element, but the default is the element's box.
bogas04

Post by bogas04 »

Hank- wrote:my guess or intake of it, is that Google bought Mozilla with that $300 mill :mrgreen:

Oh yeah i completely forgot about that!!! Now we know how all of sudden things are going much like Chrome hmmm
bogas04.github.io
MacBook Air Mid 2013 |@bogas04