Hardware Acceleration conflicted with Nvidia drivers...

Discussion about official Mozilla Firefox builds
Xetmes

Re: Hardware Acceleration conflicted with Nvidia drivers...

Post by Xetmes »

Some feedback.

Since upgrade to driver 296.10 and HA enabled i didn't had single driver or Nightly crash, everything run smooth. So looks like nVidia fix TDR problems for series GTX 4XX and 5XX, I was look in driver notes and I didn't see some clear info about this fix, any way it is good to have full working Nightly with all goodies on board.

BTW> Before driver release I've done Mobo and CPU swap (without reinstalling OS), is possible that fix my problem?
Zlip792

Post by Zlip792 »

Xetmes wrote:Some feedback.

Since upgrade to driver 296.10 and HA enabled i didn't had single driver or Nightly crash, everything run smooth. So looks like nVidia fix TDR problems for series GTX 4XX and 5XX, I was look in driver notes and I didn't see some clear info about this fix, any way it is good to have full working Nightly with all goodies on board.

BTW> Before driver release I've done Mobo and CPU swap (without reinstalling OS), is possible that fix my problem?

Nope, new driver also fixed my issue.
tbs

Post by tbs »

GTX 560 Ti here, got Nvidia Driver crashed and successful recovery each ~30 minutes.

Using latest driver 296.17
Xetmes

Post by Xetmes »

tbs wrote:GTX 560 Ti here, got Nvidia Driver crashed and successful recovery each ~30 minutes.

Using latest driver 296.17

Strange, and when You disable HA everything run normal?
tbs

Post by tbs »

Not tried HA off.. just direct2d is off until this bug is fixed https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=686782
Xetmes

Post by Xetmes »

So disable HA and check if driver crash, then You can get some answer if problem is like in this thread: HA and nVidia drivers or You have some other hardware problems.
From my experience, till driver update with disabled HA I didn't get any single TDR (Palit GTX 460 sonic). Now like I say, new driver (without clean installation, just update) and crashing driver problem is gone.
Omega X

Post by Omega X »

tbs wrote:Not tried HA off.. just direct2d is off until this bug is fixed https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=686782

So this is only with Direct2D and not with Direce3D Composite Layers?
tbs

Post by tbs »

Xetmes wrote:So disable HA and check if driver crash, then You can get some answer if problem is like in this thread: HA and nVidia drivers or You have some other hardware problems.
From my experience, till driver update with disabled HA I didn't get any single TDR (Palit GTX 460 sonic). Now like I say, new driver (without clean installation, just update) and crashing driver problem is gone.

Cool, no more driver crash after HA disabled few hours ago.

So, where is the cause of crash issue with HA activated, Nvidia or Firefox?
Xetmes

Post by Xetmes »

tbs wrote:So, where is the cause of crash issue with HA activated, Nvidia or Firefox?

Almost impossible to give You right answer, sorry, personally, after weeks/months of reading threads about this problem I think problem is most on nVidia side, but there can be also problem with non referent cards (extreme OC etc,) so this can mess up with driver (to high voltage, maybe, I've read topics where Users after down clock to stock get this problem solved, but if You pay for OC card this don't have sense).

There can be also some dependence to Your general hardware config, on some PC everything runs smooth, on other not. If I'm on Your place I would try to uninstall GPU driver, download Driver Sweeper, boot system in save mode, remove with Driver Sweeper all nVidia driver rests, boot in normal mode and try to install latest driver, enable HA in Nightly and check how things looks like ;)

Also I've notice that You are on x64 Nightly, maybe this have something to say... ??
Ver Greeneyes

Post by Ver Greeneyes »

Have you tried raising the TdrDelay and TdrDdiDelay values in the registry? More information here and here.
LordStriker

Post by LordStriker »

I don't have anymore NVIDIA, but I can confirm, I had the same problem. 275.33 was the last good set and then, 29x fixed my problem.

In between, I could avoid the problem if I had Fx's HWA disabled. No problems in games etc. I tried everything except to increase the TDR error message delay, 'cause simply I couldn't see it as being the appropriate solution.
Fx 16.02 -//- Fx 19α x64 -//- Win 8 Pro x64 -//- CPU: i5 2500 -//- GPU: 7950 -//- RAM: 8GB
Xetmes

Post by Xetmes »

Ver Greeneyes wrote:Have you tried raising the TdrDelay and TdrDdiDelay values in the registry? More information here and here.

This is bit "tricky", I've also try this modification and in my case this cost more problems then profits, with standard settings in registry I got crashing driver but it was always successfully recovered, after this modification when driver crash there was no recover just black screen and I need to hard reset....
Ver Greeneyes

Post by Ver Greeneyes »

Aha, so it does in fact stop responding entirely. You could change the number of recoveries before Windows BSODs but clearly there's a legitimate problem here.
Str0ngwun

Post by Str0ngwun »

tbs wrote:So, where is the cause of crash issue with HA activated, Nvidia or Firefox?

NVIDIA or even card manufacturer.

I had those crashes with Firefox, with games and even with a fullHD movie being played in mpc-hc (+k-lite codec pack).
The crashes go away for some time if you power off your PC _completely_ for a few seconds (and no, hitting reset doesn't help).

I have tried all versions of videodrivers: old ones, new ones, stable ones, beta ones. They all do crash. I have 296.10 now and it still crashes.
I switched off layers acceleration in Fx - and it still crashed the videodriver.

I'm pretty close to switch my graphics card to some ATI. My previous PC had ATI card and it still works like a charm. Maybe it's not that cool as my current n560gtx Twin Frozr with 2 fans, but it never caused a video driver to crash. If it it became too hot - it just started lagging, which is a normal process in such a situation. My current GPU's temperature is low and those crashes are not related to the temperature at all.
Str0ngwun

Post by Str0ngwun »

NVIDIA guy, whom I sent ~70mb of my crash reports - just stopped responding, when I asked him a few simple questions (I just wanted to know whether he found out the reason of my crashes or not).
So NVIDIA is a piece of sh1t, obviously.