Hardware Acceleration conflicted with Nvidia drivers...

Discussion about official Mozilla Firefox builds
Xetmes

Re: Hardware Acceleration conflicted with Nvidia drivers...

Post by Xetmes »

Str0ngwun wrote:MSI Live update was delete, as it stopped working properly: it showed the same updates again and again.

Str0ngwun wrote:3. Anyways, I did like you said and it will now take some time till I get TDR. I will write here when it happens.

Well, it didn't take long: I just experienced a graphics blow up (colored dots everywhere), and when you do 1 mouse click anywhere - it just hangs PC (like a BSOD, that can't be seen).

Did You have Your browser opened at this time when problem happen, maybe some content with Flash, last week I've similar problem (only once) on You Tube, I'm 99% sure that was in Flash related...
Str0ngwun

Post by Str0ngwun »

Browser was open and flash may have been running too, but I'm not sure.
This is not a usual case, I either have some HW issues, or this is on a low SW level (like drivers/bios sh1t).

Okay, I installed MSI Live update again and I updated everything I had to the latest version.
It also showed a new version of MoBo BIOS available (though the MSI site is not aware of that version yet), so I flashed to the 1.J0 now (right within from Windows, as it is supposed to be).

I also had a strange behavior with PC power up: when I turn off my PC - it usually wait 2-3 sec and turns on again. This sometimes happens (quite often but not always), and to "cure" this I have to turn off PSU's power button for a few sec (until I hear some short noise, similar to a fan scratching something). After that - I can turn on PSU and only then PC doesn't start on it's own.

What can it be? A dying PSU? My father suggested that it might be some dying capacitor somewhere between MoBo and Power Button or just on MoBo, so I unplugged all the wires from power button to MoBo (luckily, there is a built-in power button on my MoBo).
Ver Greeneyes

Post by Ver Greeneyes »

It sounds like a hardware issue to me. On the software side I recommend doing some stability testing with programs like Prime95 and Memtest86+ - if those don't turn up anything it's probably either the graphics card or the PSU, and you can swap those out more easily than the motherboard. If it is a dying capacitor on the motherboard, you might be able to spot it - capacitors tend to get distended in various ways when they fail.
Str0ngwun

Post by Str0ngwun »

All the above mentioned updates didn't help. And it's not the power button: it's PSU, MB or GPU.
Memory is fine.
squall_leonhart

Post by squall_leonhart »

Str0ngwun wrote:No way, ManuelG. He is not helpful at all.

More so than you by any means.
squall_leonhart

Xetmes wrote:So first try my advice with driver sweeper.

Driver Sweeper is a waste of time, completely unadvised and causes more irrepairable problems then it resolves.
Xetmes

Post by Xetmes »

squall_leonhart wrote:Driver Sweeper is a waste of time, completely unadvised and causes more irrepairable problems then it resolves.

I don't think so and I think it is better to try do something then sit and wait for not coming answer from nVidia....

I don't advice something what I didn't try on my own "system", like You can see He got massive problem, without good, clear solution.
squall_leonhart

just because you use it on your system doesn't put you in a position to advise others on doing so, it just makes you look foolish.

the nvidia clean install does not leave anything for such apps to clean in any case, and the files that are left cannot be touched by driversweeper anyway, they can only be removed properly via pnputil
Xetmes

Post by Xetmes »

squall_leonhart wrote:just because you use it on your system doesn't put you in a position to advise others on doing so, it just makes you look foolish.

So looks like on nVidia forum we have quite a few fools like me ;) http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=169555
Sticky thread.
Str0ngwun

Post by Str0ngwun »

squall_leonhart wrote:just because you use it on your system doesn't put you in a position to advise others on doing so, it just makes you look foolish.

the nvidia clean install does not leave anything for such apps to clean in any case, and the files that are left cannot be touched by driversweeper anyway, they can only be removed properly via pnputil

off topic: You just blame everyone without giving your own suggestions. This makes you look more foolish than anyone in this thread.

on topic: All the nvidia forums are full of users experiencing crashes with GPU of series 500. Most reports are about 560 modifications.
However, there is an advice to install driver v275.88, but I can't find it, can anyone help?
Xetmes

Post by Xetmes »

Don't see them in archive drivers, latest from 275.xx is 275.50 beta, but I think there was some fault and they think about 275.33 stable http://www.nvidia.com/object/win7-winvi ... river.html
avixaqo

Post by avixaqo »

I had problems with my Gigabyte GTX 460 1GB OC but it got fixed in the 295-296 drivers and I'm also in adaptive mode right now.
squall_leonhart

Xetmes wrote:

So looks like on nVidia forum we have quite a few fools like me ;) http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=169555
Sticky thread.

Certified idiocy.
2010 predates the nvidia clean install function.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Let's stop the name calling here. If it's not possible to have this conversation in a civil manner I'll be happy to lock the thread.
NVD

Post by NVD »

http://blogs.nvidia.com/2010/09/introdu ... f-drivers/

Also, for the advanced users that prefer to uninstall their older driver first, or rely on 3rd party driver cleaner software to completely remove older drivers, NVIDIA Install offers the choice of a clean install. During the clean install process, your older driver is completely removed from your system before seamlessly installing the new driver.

Nvidia drivers has a clean install feature since 260.xx from 2010. Using any third party "driver cleaners" was redundant since 2 years ago.