The Official Win32 20120310 builds are out

Discussion about official Mozilla Firefox builds
JayhawksRock

Re: The Official Win32 20120310 builds are not yet out

Post by JayhawksRock »

Try this on portable
1. Remove the profile entry in the .ini file
2. Start it using Firefox.exe instead of FirefoxPortable.exe
3. Don't use it on a public conputer because it won't clean up user private data when you close.
"The trouble with quotes on the internet is you never know if they are genuine" ...Abraham Lincoln
sdrocking

Post by sdrocking »

pal-moz wrote:
sdrocking wrote:BTW what happened to the new about:home ?

this ?
https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=711157

Yes, of course. No reason was mentioned for its backout. Nothing has been done ever since.
ltsnow

Post by ltsnow »

JayhawksRock wrote:Try this on portable
1. Remove the profile entry in the .ini file
2. Start it using Firefox.exe instead of FirefoxPortable.exe
3. Don't use it on a public conputer because it won't clean up user private data when you close.

Thanks for the idea, but without even attempting it, isn't this just going to use my installed profile (which is Firefox 11)? I certainly don't want that.
malliz
Folder@Home

Post by malliz »

sdrocking wrote:
pal-moz wrote:
sdrocking wrote:BTW what happened to the new about:home ?

this ?
https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=711157

Yes, of course. No reason was mentioned for its backout. Nothing has been done ever since.

Um did you read
https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=711157#c58
What sort of man would put a known criminal in charge of a major branch of government? Apart from, say, the average voter.
"Terry Pratchett"
Groovy Gregor

Post by Groovy Gregor »

Fanolian wrote:Emoticon is not showing since 0309 build. I guess it is due to #705594 [Core:Graphics]-optimize system font fallback [All] which is included in the respin. You need to have either font Symbola/Quivira/DeJaVu Sans/etc. installed in order to show them.
Is it intentional or a bug? The previous behaviour is a big plus of Firefox over other browsers IMO.
I agree, it sucks. For now, as a workaround, you can create "font.name-list" values in about:config for every font type and language you need. For example, to make emoticons at that wikipedia link work create "font.name-list.sans-serif.x-unicode" and set it to "Symbola" (you can add more than one, comma separated).
MattN

Post by MattN »

ltsnow wrote:I'm not seeing the new button in about:support to migrate to a new profile (#717070) in the latest hourly build.

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 5.1; rv:13.0) Gecko/20120309 Firefox/13.0a1 ID:20120309143335

My guess is that either:
  • Firefox portable doesn't use a profiles.ini and set a default profile (this feature only works on the default profile), OR
  • since about:support button is not application-specific, it checks if there is a migrator for the currently running application using the MOZ_APP_NAME defined at compile time. Perhaps this is changed for Firefox portable?
mikedl

Post by mikedl »

Groovy Gregor wrote:
Fanolian wrote:Emoticon is not showing since 0309 build. I guess it is due to #705594 [Core:Graphics]-optimize system font fallback [All] which is included in the respin. You need to have either font Symbola/Quivira/DeJaVu Sans/etc. installed in order to show them.
Is it intentional or a bug? The previous behaviour is a big plus of Firefox over other browsers IMO.
I agree, it sucks. For now, as a workaround, you can create "font.name-list" values in about:config for every font type and language you need. For example, to make emoticons at that wikipedia link work create "font.name-list.sans-serif.x-unicode" and set it to "Symbola" (you can add more than one, comma separated).

It appears to be working on my end with a default install of Win7 as well as Win8 CP ...

Perhaps it only affects non-English versions?
"It may be that there are true demonstrations; but this is not certain. Thus, this proves nothing else but that it is not certain that all is uncertain, to the glory of skepticism." Pascal's Pensées
ltsnow

Post by ltsnow »

MattN wrote:
ltsnow wrote:I'm not seeing the new button in about:support to migrate to a new profile (#717070) in the latest hourly build.

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 5.1; rv:13.0) Gecko/20120309 Firefox/13.0a1 ID:20120309143335

My guess is that either:
  • Firefox portable doesn't use a profiles.ini and set a default profile (this feature only works on the default profile), OR
  • since about:support button is not application-specific, it checks if there is a migrator for the currently running application using the MOZ_APP_NAME defined at compile time. Perhaps this is changed for Firefox portable?

Now we're getting somewhere. Yes, Firefox Portable does not have a profiles.ini. The second thing you said is over my head, but you've probably nailed it.
Groovy Gregor

Post by Groovy Gregor »

mikedl wrote:It appears to be working on my end with a default install of Win7 as well as Win8 CP ...

I use regular english version of firefox (and windows) so it's not that.
Maybe it depends on a font. Which font is used for emoticons on your screenshot?
mikedl

Post by mikedl »

Groovy Gregor wrote:Which font is used for emoticons on your screenshot?

Dunno - it's a default Windows install.

How do I check that?
"It may be that there are true demonstrations; but this is not certain. Thus, this proves nothing else but that it is not certain that all is uncertain, to the glory of skepticism." Pascal's Pensées
Dingler

Post by Dingler »

mikedl wrote:It appears to be working on my end with a default install of Win7 as well as Win8 CP ...

I don't see emoticons with FF10 or latest FF13:
mikedl

Post by mikedl »

Dingler wrote:I don't see emoticons with FF10 or latest FF13:

Weird. As I've mentioned, no issues on my end - I just checked again; both in Win7 and Win8.
I'll bow out now as I'm not helping at all and I have no clue as to why it's not working for some ... sorry ... :oops:
Groovy Gregor

Post by Groovy Gregor »

mikedl wrote:Dunno - it's a default Windows install.
AFAIK windows by default doesn't have fonts that contain those emoticons. Did you install ms office or any other software that installs additional fonts?

mikedl wrote:How do I check that?
I have no idea how to get real font that is used for displaying specific characters in firefox.
mikedl

Post by mikedl »

Groovy Gregor wrote:
mikedl wrote:Dunno - it's a default Windows install.
AFAIK windows by default doesn't have fonts that contain those emoticons. Did you install ms office or any other software that installs additional fonts?

Yes, I did - first thing I do after installing Windows as I use Outlook for email.

In light of that, I suppose my Win install(s) is(are) not intrinsically default.
Alice0775

Post by Alice0775 »

mikedl wrote:
Groovy Gregor wrote:Which font is used for emoticons on your screenshot?

Dunno - it's a default Windows install.

How do I check that?

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... /fontinfo/