The Official Win32 20120406 builds are out

Discussion about official Mozilla Firefox builds
BruceAWittmeier

Re: The Official Win32 20120406 builds are not yet out

Post by BruceAWittmeier »

Clearly shows 11.2 r202 needs update.

I just did another update to see the results. When done I received an error - dont recall exact words but some failure.

Now it shows this - same revision just minutes apart:
I often take a long windy road to my destination. Upon arrival, I wonder how I missed the shortcut.
GTK66

Post by GTK66 »

^ I do not get that but why does Mozilla continue to call it Shockwave Flash when it is clear not?
_Alexander

Post by _Alexander »

What the hell is Shockwave, sounds like a treatment for some nerve condition.
http://magneticpudding.com/ <- My Blog
i5 3570k @ 4.5 Ghz / NV 660 / 32GB DDR3 / 1080p LCD / SSD (120 + 180) / W8 ||| Atom N270 / NV ION / 3GB DDR3 / SSD / 1366x768 / W8
WildcatRay

Post by WildcatRay »

That is likely the ID string that is coded into the plugin. Fx will only read what is there.
Ray

OS'es: 4 computers with Win10 Pro 64-bit; Current Firefox, Beta, Nightly, Chrome, Vivaldi
mikedl

Post by mikedl »

_Dexter_ wrote:
mikedl wrote:From yesterday's build thread:

_Dexter_ wrote:I'm using Stylish 1.2.6 along with Stylish-Custom 0.7.9c. Is anyone else using S-C getting a lot of black areas when in the edit screen? Disabling S-C and using the Stylish editor works OK. S-C worked fine yesterday.

Changeset: http://hg.mozilla.org/mozilla-central/rev/638769f8ec54

*** Posted this problem in the Stylish Forum under S-C. http://tinyurl.com/74m5q5l

_Dexter_, it has indeed gone to the Nightly build from the hourlies your were experiencing this on .... odd ... :(

Please add your confirmation of this 'bug' at http://tinyurl.com/74m5q5l

It appears to be an issue with HWA ... would that, then, be an Fx issue and not an issue with Stylish Custom or Stylish?
"It may be that there are true demonstrations; but this is not certain. Thus, this proves nothing else but that it is not certain that all is uncertain, to the glory of skepticism." Pascal's Pensées
rob64rock

Post by rob64rock »

Hera wrote:What the hell is Shockwave, sounds like a treatment for some nerve condition.

It's required to play some Flash based games and required for certain types of Flash Ads on sites. Similar to how some sites require Java(not javascript) for some games(like Poppit!) or Ads. Notably Silverlight was Microsoft's attempt to compete or eliminate the need for Adobe Shockwave Player, but it didn't pan out the way Microsoft expected that's why a lot of sites still use Adobe Shockwave Player.
Last edited by rob64rock on April 5th, 2012, 8:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Omega X

Post by Omega X »

GTK66 wrote:^ I do not get that but why does Mozilla continue to call it Shockwave Flash when it is clear not?

That is the official name of the plugin. Shockwave Flash Player.

Back in the day, both Flash and Director players had the brand name Shockwave. The Director player was called "Shockwave Player" and the Flash player was called "Shockwave Flash". While Director didn't go far, Flash took off. Eventually Adobe bought Macromedia, and instead of calling it Macromedia Shockwave Flash, it was dubbed Adobe Shockwave Flash. Adobe tends not to use the "Shockwave" moniker because everyone just calls it "Flash" or "Adobe Flash Player".

The extension of the files "SWF" means "Shockwave Flash" file. Unfortunately, the Wikipedia articles does a poor job of explaining it all.

@robrock64

Silverlight was aimed at Flash Player not Shockwave Player. There's a relatively small set of sites that still use the Shockwave Player.
rob64rock

Post by rob64rock »

Omega X wrote:
GTK66 wrote:^ I do not get that but why does Mozilla continue to call it Shockwave Flash when it is clear not?

That is the official name of the plugin. Shockwave Flash Player.

Back in the day, both Flash and Director players had the brand name Shockwave. The Director player was called "Shockwave Player" and the Flash player was called "Shockwave Flash". While Director didn't go far, Flash took off. Eventually Adobe bought Macromedia, and instead of calling it Macromedia Shockwave Flash, it was dubbed Adobe Shockwave Flash. Adobe tends not to use the "Shockwave" moniker because everyone just calls it "Flash" or "Adobe Flash Player".

The extension of the files "SWF" means "Shockwave Flash" file. Unfortunately, the Wikipedia articles does a poor job of explaining it all.

@robrock64

Silverlight was aimed at Flash Player not Shockwave Player. There's a relatively small set of sites that still use the Shockwave Player.

Google Search: For Flash online games nearly all of the sites require Adobe Shockwave Player not Adobe Flash Player.

Also, When I don't have Adobe Shockwave Player installed I get all lot sites requesting it to be installed and when I do, it's mainly so they can display their site Ads. That's with already having Adobe Flash Player installed. So, from my experience when surfing the web it's still quite popular believe or not.
Last edited by rob64rock on April 5th, 2012, 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mikedl

Post by mikedl »

I just have "Shockwave Flash" installed and have never been asked to install "Shockwave" on any site. :?

"It may be that there are true demonstrations; but this is not certain. Thus, this proves nothing else but that it is not certain that all is uncertain, to the glory of skepticism." Pascal's Pensées
rob64rock

Post by rob64rock »

mikedl wrote:I just have "Shockwave Flash" installed and have never been asked to install "Shockwave" on any site. :?

Each user has different web browsing habits, that's definitely certain. So, you may not go to sites that still require the use of the Adobe Shockwave Player.
Omega X

Post by Omega X »

I haven't come across a site that requires Shockwave Player in a very long time. Even searching "Flash online games" brings up only sites with games that requires Flash Player and not Shockwave Player. Those that don't want you to install a proprietary plugin that's not Shockwave Player.
Last edited by Omega X on April 5th, 2012, 8:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mikedl

Post by mikedl »

Agreed, Rob.
I can see where the difference regarding "Shockwave" and "Shockwave Flash" can be confusing. :)

Now ... what about that HWA issue and Stylish-Custom and Stylish? (I'm also now getting black boxes on Styled sites with HWA enabled)
rob64rock

Post by rob64rock »

mikedl wrote:Agreed, Rob.
I can see where the difference regarding "Shockwave" and "Shockwave Flash" can be confusing. :)

Now ... what about that HWA issue and Stylish-Custom and Stylish? (I'm also now getting black boxes on Styled sites with HWA enabled)

I can not confirm since I don't use Stylish-Custom and the fact that I'm on WinXp with only D3D9 accelerated layers HWA enabled. I wish I could help confirm, but I'm sorry I'm not able to...
Alice0775

Post by Alice0775 »

Regarding the black areas in the S-C editor. I cannot reproduce.
However, it may be related to the following
[*]#743148 [Core:Graphics]-Profile manager Listbox background color is black when the listbox has already scrolled at the time of a start [Win]
Omega X

Post by Omega X »

Flash released 11.3 Beta that includes the extra sandbox action for Firefox. I hope that it got less crashy.