Firefox 13 smooth scrolling changed?

Discussion about official Mozilla Firefox builds
dbcooper.dk

Re: Firefox 13 smooth scrolling changed?

Post by dbcooper.dk »

Thanks Squall.

I have also been having a weird problem where (only with Firefox) mousewheel scrolling switches from 6 lines per increment to 3 lines.
streetwolf

Post by streetwolf »

n/m
Intel i9-13900K | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO DDR5 | 64GB CORSAIR VENGEANCE DDR5 @ 6600 Mhz.
H100i ELITE CAPELLIX XT Liquid CPU Cooler | PNY 12GB GeForce RTX 3080 Ti | 2 CORSAIR 2TB MP600 PRO XT GEN 4
HX1200 PLATINUM PSU | XENEON 32" IPS UHD 144Hz | BenQ 32" UHD | MS Windows 11 Pro
Chrysalis

Post by Chrysalis »

I got mine fixed now, 2 of the settings I changed were wrong as for some reason they got renamed.
streetwolf

Post by streetwolf »

Chrysalis wrote:I got mine fixed now, 2 of the settings I changed were wrong as for some reason they got renamed.

Would you care to share them with us? :D
Intel i9-13900K | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO DDR5 | 64GB CORSAIR VENGEANCE DDR5 @ 6600 Mhz.
H100i ELITE CAPELLIX XT Liquid CPU Cooler | PNY 12GB GeForce RTX 3080 Ti | 2 CORSAIR 2TB MP600 PRO XT GEN 4
HX1200 PLATINUM PSU | XENEON 32" IPS UHD 144Hz | BenQ 32" UHD | MS Windows 11 Pro
Cyberbeing

Post by Cyberbeing »

After updating to Firefox 16 RC1, it seems that the newly unprefixed CSS3 animations can be extremely GPU heavy. Unfortunately CSS3 is also affected layout.frame_rate, which make raising the value no longer a good solution unless you have a somewhat powerful GPU. Check your GPU load with the following page when tweaking layout.frame_rate, since you probably want to keep avg load below 50% so your GPU has resources free to do scrolling and other things: http://www.mediafire.com/?bgsm6g8oazivwsg

On the bright side, it does seem that fx16 scrolls a bit nicer than fx15 with a 1:1 layout.frame_rate:refresh_rate ratio.
Omega X

Post by Omega X »

I'd rather the GPU than the CPU. Firefox & Opera uses 30% CPU constant for that animation without HWA. Where as my GPU load heartbeats to 35% every few seconds, but stays at 3D clocks instead of 2D clocks.
Cyberbeing

Post by Cyberbeing »

It is good that it uses GPU for the CSS3 animations, but when combined with a weaker GPU like my GT440 DDR5, setting layout.frame_rate=240 results in a solid 99% load @3D clocks when displaying that page.

Solid 30% GPU load on that page with layout.frame_rate=60, +20% when scrolling.
Solid 55% GPU load on that page with layout.frame_rate=120, +30% when scrolling.
Solid 99% GPU load on that page with layout.frame_rate=240, +??% when scrolling.

It just makes me reconsider use of the layout.frame_rate with high values to improve smooth scrolling performance on this computer.
Omega X

Post by Omega X »

It might be worth filing a bug.
LordStriker

Post by LordStriker »

RejZoR wrote:It still feels horrible. It's so horrible i've switched to Opera because of it. Which unsuprisingly scrolls super smoothly and still feels responsive while doing it. What the hell were they thinking at Mozilla when they thought this would be cool is beyond me...

Opera is the only browser with smooth scrolling close to IE9; fast and fluid. It's truly good but currently it has problem, likewise, on some certain websites ( it's known ).

By the way, in 17 beta begun the Nightly's choppiness on me.
Fx 16.02 -//- Fx 19α x64 -//- Win 8 Pro x64 -//- CPU: i5 2500 -//- GPU: 7950 -//- RAM: 8GB
patrickjdempsey

Post by patrickjdempsey »

Cyberbeing wrote:After updating to Firefox 16 RC1, it seems that the newly unprefixed CSS3 animations can be extremely GPU heavy.

CSS animations have always been resource intensive. That's why Mozilla has had to be careful about how much it uses in the default theme. There is nothing particularly special about the "newly unprefixed" animations except that you are more likely to encounter websites that use the unprefixed versions than the old prefixed versions. This is largely because Apple and Google have had a habit of shipping browsers for the last few years with unprefixed versions of CSS properties so that has encouraged authors to use them in the wild.
Tip of the day: If it has "toolbar" in the name, it's crap.
What my avatar is about: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamonkey/addon/sea-fox/
_Alexander

Post by _Alexander »

I think it is time to blacklist all GPUs below GT440 /s
http://magneticpudding.com/ <- My Blog
i5 3570k @ 4.5 Ghz / NV 660 / 32GB DDR3 / 1080p LCD / SSD (120 + 180) / W8 ||| Atom N270 / NV ION / 3GB DDR3 / SSD / 1366x768 / W8
Omega X

Post by Omega X »

Blacklisting Heras are even better.
dbcooper.dk

Post by dbcooper.dk »

LordStriker wrote:
RejZoR wrote:It still feels horrible. It's so horrible i've switched to Opera because of it. Which unsuprisingly scrolls super smoothly and still feels responsive while doing it. What the hell were they thinking at Mozilla when they thought this would be cool is beyond me...

Opera is the only browser with smooth scrolling close to IE9; fast and fluid. It's truly good but currently it has problem, likewise, on some certain websites ( it's known ).

By the way, in 17 beta begun the Nightly's choppiness on me.

Chrome's "experimental" smooth scrolling is really good too. They have OMTC.
Chrysalis

Post by Chrysalis »

streetwolf wrote:
Chrysalis wrote:I got mine fixed now, 2 of the settings I changed were wrong as for some reason they got renamed.

Would you care to share them with us? :D

general.smoothScroll.durationToIntervalRatio 100
general.smoothScroll.mouseWheel.durationMaxMS 250
general.smoothScroll.mouseWheel.durationMinMS 250
general.smoothScroll.lines.durationMaxMS 50
general.smoothScroll.lines.durationMinMS 50
Chrysalis

Post by Chrysalis »

Omega X wrote:I'd rather the GPU than the CPU. Firefox & Opera uses 30% CPU constant for that animation without HWA. Where as my GPU load heartbeats to 35% every few seconds, but stays at 3D clocks instead of 2D clocks.

a workaround is nvidia inspector, if the GPU is powerful enough then even locked in 2D mode its better than cpu for graphic processing. As a benchmark my 460 GTX in 2d mode beats software mode for performance. So can still use hardware mode and keep GPU in low power mode.