Firefox 13 smooth scrolling changed?

Discussion about official Mozilla Firefox builds
RejZoR

Firefox 13 smooth scrolling changed?

Post by RejZoR »

Is it just me or they've changed smooth scrolling as well? Between 12 and 13, it feels sluggish and it feels like the input lag is massive between wheel movement and page scroll. It just feels weird and unnatural.
My webpage and blog: http://www.rejzor.tk
DanRaisch

Re: Firefox 13 smooth scrolling changed?

Post by DanRaisch »

Moving to Firefox Builds where pre-release versions (like 13.0) are discussed.
Pravda

Post by Pravda »

Firefox 13 uses a new smooth scrolling algorithm. I have been using smooth scrolling since Firefox 3.5 and I did not notice any difference. Maybe this is because of platform differences (Windows vs. OS X) or because I use the touchpad instead of a mouse wheel.
You can't handle the правда!
_Alexander

Post by _Alexander »

You can turn it off - primary performance tweak for all browsers.
http://magneticpudding.com/ <- My Blog
i5 3570k @ 4.5 Ghz / NV 660 / 32GB DDR3 / 1080p LCD / SSD (120 + 180) / W8 ||| Atom N270 / NV ION / 3GB DDR3 / SSD / 1366x768 / W8
RejZoR

Post by RejZoR »

It's not a performance thing, my laptop is fast enough for something as simple as that. It's the feel they used for the algorithm. It just feels like crap.
_Alexander

Post by _Alexander »

RejZoR wrote:It's not a performance thing, my laptop is fast enough for something as simple as that. It's the feel they used for the algorithm. It just feels like crap.

Well I always regard smooth scrolling as a built-in hesitation of a browser for the special effects experience.
http://magneticpudding.com/ <- My Blog
i5 3570k @ 4.5 Ghz / NV 660 / 32GB DDR3 / 1080p LCD / SSD (120 + 180) / W8 ||| Atom N270 / NV ION / 3GB DDR3 / SSD / 1366x768 / W8
JayhawksRock

Post by JayhawksRock »

RejZoR wrote:It's not a performance thing, my laptop is fast enough for something as simple as that. It's the feel they used for the algorithm. It just feels like crap.

Is it better if you uncheck "auto scroll" and/or Use HWA in Tools > Options > Advanced
"The trouble with quotes on the internet is you never know if they are genuine" ...Abraham Lincoln
RejZoR

Post by RejZoR »

It still feels horrible. It's so horrible i've switched to Opera because of it. Which unsuprisingly scrolls super smoothly and still feels responsive while doing it. What the hell were they thinking at Mozilla when they thought this would be cool is beyond me...
Grantius

Post by Grantius »

RejZoR wrote:It still feels horrible. It's so horrible i've switched to Opera because of it. Which unsuprisingly scrolls super smoothly and still feels responsive while doing it. What the hell were they thinking at Mozilla when they thought this would be cool is beyond me...

Looks fine for me? Mines super smooth with HWA on.....
Micro gaming box: AMD A10-7800 APU, 8gb RAM M350 ITX case (size of a book), Windows 10/Ubuntu
Tablet/Laptop: Asus Transformer T100, Intel Atom 2GB RAM, Windows 10 x86
Mobile:Xiaomi Redmi Note 3 Pro
mightyglydd

Post by mightyglydd »

Hmm, the first 13beta seemed to scroll beautifully, (HWA off) nearly as smoothly as Opera.....which I agree, has outstanding scrolling.
Somewhere between then and b7 it seems to have regressed (here).
#KeepFightingMichael and Alex.
TrueFalcon

Post by TrueFalcon »

I tried the built-in scroll, didn't like it, turned it off, and reenabled the add-on SmoothWheel that I've been using for many years. It's incredibly configurable so anyone should be able to tinker with its options and get the scroll they've always wanted.

=D> :-"
RejZoR

Post by RejZoR »

I don't get it why they had to change it when it worked perfectly fine in Firefox 12 and older!?
squall_leonhart

Post by squall_leonhart »

set

general.smoothScroll.mouseWheel.durationMaxMS
and
general.smoothScroll.mouseWheel.durationMinMS

to 150, and the Lag feeling will be gone.
Omega X

Post by Omega X »

Also Firefox 13 and newer uses the SmoothWheel algorithm. What you gain from the extension is an easy interface.
LordStriker

Post by LordStriker »

I don't think it's as simple as you think... It adds up to 10% on both, CPU and GPU utilization. At least on Nightly 15 which seems even faster/smoother than final 13.

This also means if you're on laptop, it will drain your battery noticeably faster. Of course everything depends on how much you're browsing/scrolling.

The fact your laptop can handle it fine, it doesn't mean it's not a nice performance tweak.
Fx 16.02 -//- Fx 19α x64 -//- Win 8 Pro x64 -//- CPU: i5 2500 -//- GPU: 7950 -//- RAM: 8GB