Disabling plugin container

Discussion about official Mozilla Firefox builds
lwman

Disabling plugin container

Post by lwman »

I have an older computer and disabled the plugin container(dom.ipc.plugins.enabled-false) some time ago and firefox functioned well as long as I didn't use the plugin container. I am using 14 beta and I noticed that my computer hangs quite a bit if there is flash on a site. I also noticed that plugin container is using high cpu and I can't seem to disable the plugin container any more. Is there another trick to disable the plugin container so I can use firefox on this computer or do I need to just use chrome which works well on the same sites and doesn't use as much cpu?
Thanks
Grantius

Re: Disabling plugin container

Post by Grantius »

Hi,

This was removed last week - I don't see how disabling it will help with CPU, instead it will be firefox.exe using the CPU and RAM not plugincontainer.exe....

And having it separate will give you much better performance?
Micro gaming box: AMD A10-7800 APU, 8gb RAM M350 ITX case (size of a book), Windows 10/Ubuntu
Tablet/Laptop: Asus Transformer T100, Intel Atom 2GB RAM, Windows 10 x86
Mobile:Xiaomi Redmi Note 3 Pro
kancaras

Post by kancaras »

are you using 11.3.300.265 flash? you beter downgrade it to 11.2!!! new version is known to cause crashes and high cpu loads. you might want to use another channel of firefox too.
natri23

Post by natri23 »

I would want that option back too...
the plugin-container separate firefox from flash video and since windows priority only one of them, either the video or the browser will suffer...
pal-moz

Post by pal-moz »

Grantius wrote:This was removed last week

not removed.

Bug 769721 - Force-enable OOPP for Flash users on Windows Vista+
[Desktop] Windows 7 Professional (32bit/SP1) / Geforce GTX 660Ti 2GB (350.12) / 4GB RAM
Omega X

Post by Omega X »

lwman wrote:I have an older computer and disabled the plugin container(dom.ipc.plugins.enabled-false) some time ago and firefox functioned well as long as I didn't use the plugin container. I am using 14 beta and I noticed that my computer hangs quite a bit if there is flash on a site.

That's Flash in general. Ever since they introduced the sandbox mode, its become a hassle.
mikedl

Post by mikedl »

Can't say I've had an issue with it on my 4 year old laptop. (Running the latest Flash).

Again, no issues on my end and, in fact, I get fewer random freezes (with the latest Flash - 11.3.300.265) requiring a hard reset of my laptop.
"It may be that there are true demonstrations; but this is not certain. Thus, this proves nothing else but that it is not certain that all is uncertain, to the glory of skepticism." Pascal's Pensées
subfire

Post by subfire »

So, they completely removed the option to turn it off? That's sad.
James

Post by James »

lll3

Post by lll3 »

I don't think this patch was committed. So Flash is forced to run out-of-process, regardless of setting. Hehe.
nugitx

Post by nugitx »

Hello i have the same problem,

what exactly do i have to write in about:config in ff 14 to disable plugin-container.exe again ?
lll3

Post by lll3 »

I'm curious if plugin-container is a real, rather than perceived, problem. (Disclaimer: I uninstalled Flash from my computer.)
L.A.R. Grizzly

Post by L.A.R. Grizzly »

nugitx wrote:Hello i have the same problem,

what exactly do i have to write in about:config in ff 14 to disable plugin-container.exe again ?

dom.ipc.plugins.enabled - false still works for me in FX 16. I haven't used the plugincontainer.exe for quite a while now (with no problems).
Win7 Pro SP1 64 Bit
Comodo Internet Security
Pale Moon 33.0.2, Epyrus Mail 2.1.2, Firefox 115.8.0esr, Thunderbird 115.8.1, and SeaMonkey 2.53.18
Gingerbread Man

Post by Gingerbread Man »

L.A.R. Grizzly wrote:dom.ipc.plugins.enabled - false still works for me in FX 16.

pal-moz wrote:Bug 769721 - Force-enable OOPP for Flash users on Windows Vista+
L.A.R. Grizzly

Post by L.A.R. Grizzly »

Gingerbread Man wrote:
L.A.R. Grizzly wrote:dom.ipc.plugins.enabled - false still works for me in FX 16.

pal-moz wrote:Bug 769721 - Force-enable OOPP for Flash users on Windows Vista+

I love WinXP!
Win7 Pro SP1 64 Bit
Comodo Internet Security
Pale Moon 33.0.2, Epyrus Mail 2.1.2, Firefox 115.8.0esr, Thunderbird 115.8.1, and SeaMonkey 2.53.18