Firefox build instructions

Discussion about official Mozilla Firefox builds
Radu

Post by Radu »

Anybody knows how to get and build the 0.8 branch? (the cvs repository, any differences from the instructions posted in this thread, etc.).

Thanks.
Old Persist

Post by Old Persist »

intatia

Post by intatia »

w00t, I finally got it all sorted, running my own buld now. *Happy Dance*

Many thanks to links and comments made in this thread, they helped heaps.
intatia

Post by intatia »

Me and firebird have a lot-hate relationship.
If I love it, it wont compile, if I hate it, it does!
I just spent I-dunno-how-long-but-it-seemed-a-really-long-time-to-me trying to get firebird to compile again, with a few more options that I didn't have first time around, it keept failing at around the 38minute mark, and I did at least 8 tries I reckon, possibly over 10, so I guess you could say I have too much time on my hands..
If I come across the error messages again in a compile in the future that fails, I'll post it here and hope someone can help me. :)

//Edit// Forgot to mention that this successful compile was 2 minutes less than the last one. :D
GT_Onizuka

Post by GT_Onizuka »

Okay, I have been successfully able to compile my first version but I'm having some issues and some questions (I'm using Slackware Linux 9.1 btw):

1.) Last time, when I made a mistake compiling, changing the .mozconfig file wasn't enough, (like I have export MOZ_PHOENIX=1) and it was having issues with nothing for make export. So I did make export as specified ealier and tried again, nothing happened. I wanted to check something, so I removed the export MOZ_PHOENIX=1 entirely from my .mozconfig file and it still complained about make export, this tells me I need to do something for it to re-check the .mozconfig, file. Last time I had to delete everything and start from scratch as far as the CVS is concerned (thanks to my cable modem, it wasn't that bad :P)

2.) The version I have currently compiled seems to be having theme issues. The little magnifying glass is overlapping the Google icon, I don't have Back or Forward buttons, and there is no scrollbar. I assume I didn't select an option or this theme is just a pain (I'm using Px Classic, by far my favorite). I tried selecting Modern and restarting Mozilla, but the theme change didn't happen and the same things (or rather, lack of things) were still there. Any ideas?

3.) Okay, so I have this enormous folder in my home directory... what exactly should I do with it? I'd like to be able to update Firebird often (as it makes me feel cool and up to speed :P) so what should I do with the directory and is it safe to move the executables and stuff to a safer place? (A place where it is root protected, like /usr/local/bin or something, where my current and non-Flash friendly version sits). How does everyone else go about it? Bear in mind, downloading large files isn't an issue, unless we're talking over a gig, I'm good.

4.) Final thing, I've noticed sometimes when I use my mouse wheel to scroll, the letters get cut of as I go up or down for some strange reason. When I middle click and drag it slowly it doesn't seem to be an issue, but if I go quickly it happens, which is rather bothersome.

Thanks a bunch for the help so far in the forums, I hope I can get all my problems sorted out soon!
intatia

Post by intatia »

Try installing a different theme.
Look back a few pages and package firebird up and move it elsewhere so you can delete that huge directory if you like.
GT_Onizuka

Post by GT_Onizuka »

I'm still having problems seeing the scroll bar and having messed up toolbars. I've noticed A LOT more messages when I launch Firebird (the new build that is) and I saw one pertaining to the scrollbar, went a little something like this:

Code: Select all

###!!! ASSERTION: no scroll bar: 'mScrollbar', file nsTreeBodyFrame.cpp, line 1020
Break: at file nsTreeBodyFrame.cpp, line 1020
WEBSHELL- = 3
WEBSHELL+ = 4
###!!! ASSERTION: no scroll bar: 'mScrollbar', file nsTreeBodyFrame.cpp, line 1020

And some more error messages

WARNING: NS_ENSURE_TRUE(NS_SUCCEEDED(rv)) failed, file nsSyncLoadService.cpp, line 611
WARNING: NS_ENSURE_TRUE(NS_SUCCEEDED(rv)) failed, file nsXBLService.cpp, line 1235
WARNING: NS_ENSURE_TRUE(NS_SUCCEEDED(rv)) failed, file nsSyncLoadService.cpp, line 611
WARNING: NS_ENSURE_TRUE(NS_SUCCEEDED(rv)) failed, file nsXBLService.cpp, line 1235
WARNING: empty damage rect: update caller to avoid fcn call overhead, file nsFrame.cpp, line 2506 (this one repeats a gazillion times)
WEBSHELL+ = 5
WEBSHELL- = 4
WARNING: empty damage rect: update caller to avoid fcn call overhead, file nsFrame.cpp, line 2506 (repeats a gazillion times)
WARNING: empty damage rect: update caller to avoid fcn call overhead, file nsFrame.cpp, line 2506 (once again)

I'm not too sure what this means but here's my .mozconfig file if anyone can see anything drastically wrong with it.

export MOZ_PHOENIX=1
mk_add_options MOZ_PHOENIX=1
# Options for 'configure' (same as command-line options).
ac_add_options --disable-mailnews
ac_add_options --disable-ldap
ac_add_options --enable-xft
ac_add_options --disable-postscript
ac_add_options --disable-xprint
ac_add_options --disable-composer
ac_add_options --disable-tests
ac_add_options --enable-optimize="-O3 -mcpu=pentium4 -msse"
--enable-default-toolkit=gtk
ac_add_options --enable-crypto
ac_add_options --disable-accessibility
ac_add_options --enable-extensions=cookie,xml-rpc,xmlextras,p3p,pref,transformii
x,universalchardet,typeaheadfind,webservices

Everything seems to work fine, I'm really anxious to get my own build of this sucker working! And then I'm on the Thunderbird!

EDIT: The google bar has been fixed, that was a theme issue on my part, the other problems still remain.
nrthomas

Post by nrthomas »

The theme issue is the result of changing of references for scrollbars and buttons. See this for details: <a href="http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?t=36049">http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?t=36049</a>. I have adjusted the Coffee theme so it works with the latest nightlies - I can email it to you if you are interested, 256KB in size.

Also, it looks like you are doing a DEBUG build. That's great if you are wanting to hack on the beast, but if you're more interested in compiling your own copy then it's a burden. Add <code>--disable-debug</code> to your .mozconfig - it'll be a bit faster to run and use alot less disk space for compilation. You'll loose those messages you posted but that's not a problem for normal browsing.

Looks like you are missing <code>ac_add_options</code> in front of <code>--enable-default-toolkit=gtk</code> too.
GT_Onizuka

Post by GT_Onizuka »

Okay, if I do the rebuilding process again, will it notice my changes to the .mozconfig file or do I have to do something else?
nrthomas

Post by nrthomas »

.mozconfig is a dependency for configure, so that will run again. Which means everything will be compiled again. Grab a coffee ! :-)
Nick Thomas - Mozilla Release Engineer
GT_Onizuka

Post by GT_Onizuka »

Rock on, thanks a bunch, I'm going to set it up before I go to sleep tonight!
nosebleed

Post by nosebleed »

daihard wrote:
mondaypickle wrote:I cannot seem to get firebird to build. I keep getting this error

gmake[2]: Entering directory `/downloads/internet/mozfirebird/mozilla/toolkit'
gmake[2]: *** No rule to make target `export'.  Stop.
gmake[2]: Leaving directory `/downloads/internet/mozfirebird/mozilla/toolkit'
gmake[1]: *** [tier_9] Error 2
gmake[1]: Leaving directory `/downloads/internet/mozfirebird/mozilla'
make: *** [default] Error 2

ive tried serveral different copies of the source, i want to build my own becuase all the current gtk2 builds segfault on me.

There may be more than one reason for that error. Run "make export" from your build root directory (<path_to_your_build>/mozilla) and then run your build procedure again.

I'm getting a similar error

collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
gmake[4]: *** [libgklayout.so] Error 1
gmake[4]: Leaving directory `/home/sean/fb_source/mozilla/layout/build'
gmake[3]: *** [libs] Error 2
gmake[3]: Leaving directory `/home/sean/fb_source/mozilla/layout'
gmake[2]: *** [tier_9] Error 2
gmake[2]: Leaving directory `/home/sean/fb_source/mozilla'
gmake[1]: *** [default] Error 2
gmake[1]: Leaving directory `/home/sean/fb_source/mozilla'
gmake: *** [build] Error 2

and I ran make export and it still doesn't work, what else could be causing this to happen?
nrthomas

Post by nrthomas »

From the <a href="http://www.mozilla.org/build/win32.html#s3">Mozilla Win32 build instructions</a>:
Make sure your source tree isn't under /home; paths that start with /cygdrive are handled better.
nosebleed

Post by nosebleed »

CrazyFred wrote:From the <a href="http://www.mozilla.org/build/win32.html#s3">Mozilla Win32 build instructions</a>:
Make sure your source tree isn't under /home; paths that start with /cygdrive are handled better.

But I'm building on Linux, not Windows.
nrthomas

Post by nrthomas »

Ah ok, sorry about that. Are there any lines (before what you posted above) that might give some clues ?
Nick Thomas - Mozilla Release Engineer