Can't stop tabs warn on close popup

Discussion about official Mozilla Firefox builds
tanstaafl

Can't stop tabs warn on close popup

Post by tanstaafl »

I'm using the latest beta of Firefox 16. It keeps warning me when I try to close multiple tabs. Both browser.tabs.warnOnClose and browser.warnOnClose are set false. Same problem if I run in safe mode. I had the same problem with 15. Any workaround?
JayhawksRock

Re: Can't stop tabs warn on close popup

Post by JayhawksRock »

Strange.. I assume you mean that you are quitting Firefox with multiple tabs open OR what STR?
"The trouble with quotes on the internet is you never know if they are genuine" ...Abraham Lincoln
WaltS48

Post by WaltS48 »

No, I believe he is selecting "Close other tabs" from the context menu.

Thanks to some users who accidentally closed tabs they wanted open, we will all have to deal with that annoying new feature. Happily I only see it twice during my morning routine.

Here is the bug. https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=277079

I don't recall it being in Firefox 15 though.
Linux Desktop - AMD Athlon(tm) II X3 455 3.3GHz | 8.0GB RAM | GeForce GT 630
Windows Notebook - AMD A8 7410 2.2GHz | 6.0GB RAM | AMD Radeon R5
JayhawksRock

Post by JayhawksRock »

aaa Thanks.. now I understand his post and I see it in 16-18 as you said
"The trouble with quotes on the internet is you never know if they are genuine" ...Abraham Lincoln
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

"No, I believe he is selecting "Close other tabs" from the context menu."

Yes. I hope the thinking they used in fixing that bug is an aberration.
ffextensionguru

Post by ffextensionguru »

WLS wrote:No, I believe he is selecting "Close other tabs" from the context menu.

In all my years of using Firefox, can't say I have ever used that feature or even had a desire to use that feature. Always seemed like an odd option to have, but looking at Chrome I see that is an option as is 'Close tabs to the right'.
moguri

Post by moguri »

I use this feature constantly (along with the addon "Close Tabs to the Right" so its like Chrome) and I must say that this is super annoying. There is already an option in the settings to "Warn Me When Closing Multiple Tabs" which is now useless I guess? Checking or unchecking it has no effect, I still get that annoying warning when trying to close multiple tabs.
Bokar

Post by Bokar »

This change with Firefox 16 is frustrating and stupid.

The utility of the "close other tabs" command is now completely wasted. :evil:

There were at least three simple solutions in FF15 and earlier for those who felt that command was a problem:
  1. FF users who accidentally chose it could look at the highlighting of their selection - if the wrong command is highlighted then don't continue! ](*,)
  2. "Warn me when closing multiple tabs" could be checkmarked in Tools: Options: Tabs
  3. The "close other tabs" command could be removed from the menu using the Menu Editor add-on or similar add-on.
Now in FF16 everyone is forced to accept the constant annoying warnings because some people choose not to use one of those methods.

Solution #2 was mentioned on the 27709 bug page https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=277079 in response to the sole bug complaint 7 years ago! Apparently that useful choice was then forgotten ignored in the brief discussion this year which concluded that "Always prompting sounds good to me".

If these three approaches were all too difficult then an undo for multiple tab closure - comparable to the "undo close (single) tab" would be a better approach.
Chris000001

Post by Chris000001 »

I don't know when this will his the release version of Firefox, but it was fixed a few days ago using Nightly (version 19.) You might have to wait for that version to be released. In about:config, set browser.tabs.warnOnCloseOtherTabs to false.
Bokar

Post by Bokar »

Thanks for your reply.

I'm using the release version of FF16.

I added browser.tabs.warnOnCloseOtherTabs to about:config as a new preference (boolean). I restarted FF. That new value did not stop the warning pop-up.

I guess I'll have to wait until FF19 is released.
Dingler

Post by Dingler »

browser.tabs.warnOnCloseOtherTabs is only present in Firefox 18 and Firefox 19, see https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=772319
GSam

Post by GSam »

ffextensionguru wrote:
WLS wrote:No, I believe he is selecting "Close other tabs" from the context menu.

In all my years of using Firefox, can't say I have ever used that feature or even had a desire to use that feature. Always seemed like an odd option to have, but looking at Chrome I see that is an option as is 'Close tabs to the right'.

I actually only recently started using it. When I restore a session, sometimes I only needed one tab and the rest are unnecessary.
pmackey

Post by pmackey »

This is very annoying! I use Close other tabs a lot! I know what I am doing when I do this and I sure as hell don't want to have to click a confirmation box every time I tell the browser to do something.

The default behaviour has always been to ask but the option has been available for Firefox to never ask. Why was this behaviour changed?
pal-moz

Post by pal-moz »

pmackey wrote:Why was this behaviour changed?

read https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=277079
[Desktop] Windows 7 Professional (32bit/SP1) / Geforce GTX 660Ti 2GB (350.12) / 4GB RAM
Bokar

Post by Bokar »

The posts at https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=277079 say why some people thought there was a problem -- they don't say why the change was made as opposed to other possible responses to the stated problem.

There are numerous examples in Firefox and other programs where users say "I accidentally hit the wrong button" -- the problem source named in the bugzilla posts. Sometimes re-design is the solution. In many cases, though, the better answer -- and the most common response -- is "Maybe you should be more careful with what you are doing."

The "hurry up and change" process being used by Mozilla Firefox seems to be long on making changes but short on:
  1. recognizing the adequacy of existing alternatives for handling a "problem";
  2. evaluating the necessity for change, i.e. how widespread is the problem;
  3. evaluating the impact of a change, i.e. how many people will be affected by the change and whether it will be deemed either positive or neutral;
  4. assessing potential unintended negative consequences of changes.

This process flaw goes way beyond this particular topic but I haven't yet seen the Mozilla Firefox community address it.