Aurora 18 + Win7 x64 = instant crashing on startup

Discussion about official Mozilla Firefox builds
pcguy99

Aurora 18 + Win7 x64 = instant crashing on startup

Post by pcguy99 »

I have the current Aurora installed and even went to the trouble of downloading it and reinstalling it. Also have Beta17 along with 16.0.1 installed with the later 2 using the same profile directory to allow switching between the two browsers.

When I attempt to start Aurora it goes through checking extensions etc and promptly crashes and burns. If I then try to use Beta 17 it to crashes and burns on take off. I have to run 16.0.1 which starts and loads fine. After than beta17 also loads ok. Aurora is dead in the water here though.

I have disabled all extensions as well as plugins in Beta 17 and then starting Aurora but that made no difference. Aurora crashes and in turn takes out beta17.
Dingler

Re: Aurora 18 + Win7 x64 = instant crashing on startup

Post by Dingler »

Type about:crashes and post some crash reports (bp-...).
HN_FIN

Post by HN_FIN »

Aurora 18 works nicely with my Win7x64.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:18.0) Gecko/18.0 Firefox/18.0 ID:20121016042009
pcguy99

Post by pcguy99 »

Dingler wrote:Type about:crashes and post some crash reports (bp-...).

I can not get Aurora to start period so the only version I could do that in is Beta17.

Update: There is something with the shared profile that is causing problems in Aurora. Even with booting Aurora in safemode it crashes unless I use a newly created profile. Going between Beta17 and 16.0.1 using the shared profile there is no profile. When I attempt to use Aurora and it crashes, starting beta17 also crashes unless I run 16.0.1 first then beta17.

https://crash-stats.mozilla.com/report/ ... 01d2121016
https://crash-stats.mozilla.com/report/ ... 3602121016
HN_FIN

Post by HN_FIN »

There is probably some version change of stored profile data, possibly related to safe browsing. There was at least the thumbnail storage format version change during those versions.

You might try "Reset Firefox" in beta 17 from Help / Troubleshooting. That should clean your profile from old garbage, while still preserving most of the profile data. Maybe then the Aurora would start with the profile?
http://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/res ... t-problems

In general, using the same profile for several Firefox versions is not safe, as the storage formats may change and the older versions do not understand the new formats, to which the data is has been changed by the new version. But your problem seems to be to the other direction... :-(
pcguy99

Post by pcguy99 »

HN_FIN wrote:You might try "Reset Firefox" in beta 17 from Help / Troubleshooting. That should clean your profile from old garbage, while still preserving most of the profile data. Maybe then the Aurora would start with the profile?
http://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/res ... -problems(

I want to be able to open the same tabs I have open in say 16.0.1 that I have in beta17 or Aurora18. If I reset the profile data it will also affect 16.0.1 since it is using the same profile. It appears that Release version, beta and Aurora are meant to use the same profile. I say this because if I start up Aurora18 using profile manager and select the clean profile that works fine then exit and start up either Beta17 or the 16.0.1 versions with the profile manager then those browsers will, by default, use the same empty profile that I had just started Aurora18 with.
pcguy99

Post by pcguy99 »

Think I figured out the problem Aurora was having a problem with 2 tab groups that I have in the background. Once I closed those two the main group opened up fine and appears that I can go between all 3 versions of FFox.
pal-moz

Post by pal-moz »

pcguy99 wrote:

I can not get Aurora to start period so the only version I could do that in is Beta17.

Update: There is something with the shared profile that is causing problems in Aurora. Even with booting Aurora in safemode it crashes unless I use a newly created profile. Going between Beta17 and 16.0.1 using the shared profile there is no profile. When I attempt to use Aurora and it crashes, starting beta17 also crashes unless I run 16.0.1 first then beta17.

bug for that crash is already filed.
Bug 797302 - crash in mozilla::safebrowsing::Classifier::Check
read crash report.
[Desktop] Windows 7 Professional (32bit/SP1) / Geforce GTX 660Ti 2GB (350.12) / 4GB RAM
Skuto

Post by Skuto »

pcguy99 wrote:

Hi,

I'm one of the developers working on this feature. I have a fix ready that should make your crash disappear, but it's a sympton of some underlying issue with the profile which we currently don't fully understand.

Are you able to post in this bug?
https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=797302

I would like to see urlclassifier3.sqlite, urlclassifierkey3.txt, urlclassifier.pset and the "safebrowsing" subdir from your profile. Some may be in the "Local", not the "Roaming" profile directory. If you can zip up these 3 files+subdir and attach them to the bug above, this might greatly help us figure out what is wrong. These files *do not* contain any personal information.
Skuto

Post by Skuto »

pcguy99 wrote:Think I figured out the problem Aurora was having a problem with 2 tab groups that I have in the background. Once I closed those two the main group opened up fine and appears that I can go between all 3 versions of FFox.

Can you explain a bit more what you did? I.e. are you able to describe a series of steps that would allow me to reproduce the situation where Aurora crashed?
Drumbrake

Post by Drumbrake »

Does this,by any chance,also affect the last UX builds? I'm asking because lately my UX installation,which has its own dedicated profile ans has worked OK for months now,now suddenly crashes immediately after startup-I haven't done any troubleshooting so far,all that I see is that Firefox opens,starts to load the tabs from the last time (it's a session with multiple tabs and groups) and then almost immediately crashes.
pcguy99

Post by pcguy99 »

Skuto wrote:
pcguy99 wrote:Think I figured out the problem Aurora was having a problem with 2 tab groups that I have in the background. Once I closed those two the main group opened up fine and appears that I can go between all 3 versions of FFox.

Can you explain a bit more what you did? I.e. are you able to describe a series of steps that would allow me to reproduce the situation where Aurora crashed?

I had a series of websites in two sets of Tab Groups. I bookmarked these two sets of sites in 2 sets of folders and deleted / closed the 2 Tab Groups leaving the main group. Once that was done the problem with Aurora crashing on each start up did not occur. I also posted more info to that bug report https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=797302
Skuto

Post by Skuto »

Drumbrake wrote:Does this,by any chance,also affect the last UX builds?

The problem of the original poster is in all Firefox versions >= 17, but unless your about:crashes points to the same crash signature, there's no reason to assume whatever you're seeing is at all related to his.

There isn't anything in the crashing code related to Tab Groups at all, so that might just be a red herring. I'm still trying to reproduce it.
pcguy99

Post by pcguy99 »

Skuto wrote:
Drumbrake wrote:Does this,by any chance,also affect the last UX builds?

The problem of the original poster is in all Firefox versions >= 17, but unless your about:crashes points to the same crash signature, there's no reason to assume whatever you're seeing is at all related to his.

There isn't anything in the crashing code related to Tab Groups at all, so that might just be a red herring. I'm still trying to reproduce it.

Well 17 worked fine normally. If I ran Aurora first it would crash and if I then tried running the beta17 it too crashed. To get beta 17 back running I had to start 16.0.1 then launch beta 17.
JayhawksRock

Post by JayhawksRock »

pcguy99 wrote:Well 17 worked fine normally. If I ran Aurora first it would crash and if I then tried running the beta17 it too crashed. To get beta 17 back running I had to start 16.0.1 then launch beta 17.

As expected... Firefox now does a good job of converting profiles and their prefs settings to new formats and preferences on Upgrades. On downgrades of the same profile things are guaranteed to be broken as there is no built in provision for that.
"The trouble with quotes on the internet is you never know if they are genuine" ...Abraham Lincoln