Screenshot problem - also in 32-bit Nightly?

Discussion about official Mozilla Firefox builds
joeg
Location: How can you be in two places at once, when you're not anywhere at all?

Screenshot problem - also in 32-bit Nightly?

Post by joeg »

In the Firefox 64 -bit discussion, it emerged that a code change had resulted in making it impossible to use extensions to save screenshots.
Chris000001 wrote:Some functions changed recently. I don't have the bug number, but I posted about it here: viewtopic.php?f=23&t=2570969 and here: viewtopic.php?f=48&t=73324&start=505 . That's probably why any extension that saves images is broken.
It appears the issue is also now in Aurora. For example, using the current Aurora, I can't save a screenshot with either Abduction or NightlyTesterTools.

The normal Windows screenshot function works, though.

Is anyone else having this problem? Is it also in the 32-bit Nightly?

Thanks.
Although every day is Judgment Day, I nonetheless feel like a room without a roof.
mikedl

Re: Screenshot problem - also in 32-bit Nightly?

Post by mikedl »

Hi, Joe!

I've been using external screenshot utilities for quite some time (namely FastStone Capture - not free, of course) but I used to use the Lightshot add-on and it was very good.

I've just installed Lightshot on the latest Winx64 Nightly as a test and it's not working either as I get this error message:
"Error: Lightshot NPAPI plugin not found. Try to reload browser. If you keep seeing this error after reloading, please contact support@skillbrains.com."

I don't know if that error is related to the issue you are having but, apparently, a few things (as Chris mentioned) have changed in this area (screenshot capture and internal file saving).
"It may be that there are true demonstrations; but this is not certain. Thus, this proves nothing else but that it is not certain that all is uncertain, to the glory of skepticism." Pascal's Pensées
joeg
Location: How can you be in two places at once, when you're not anywhere at all?

Post by joeg »

mikedl wrote:I don't know if that error is related to the issue you are having but, apparently, a few things (as Chris mentioned) have changed in this area (screenshot capture and internal file saving).
Hi mikedl,

Thanks very much for your reply. I hope you're fine. Thanks for corroborating the Fx64 issue.

It'd be nice to hear from some Nightly 32 and Aurora users.
Although every day is Judgment Day, I nonetheless feel like a room without a roof.
Chris000001

Post by Chris000001 »

It is the 32-bit nightly as well. That's what I use.
Omega X

Post by Omega X »

Must be a recent change. Did this happen starting today or yesterday?
joeg

Post by joeg »

Omega X wrote:Must be a recent change. Did this happen starting today or yesterday?
Any help Chris000001? You're the "expert" on this one.
Chris000001

Post by Chris000001 »

I first noticed in early October - probably around the 4th. It could have happened earlier. That was the first time I tried to save an image using Image Toolbar extension and it failed, but I don't save images very often so it might have even been weeks earlier.
joeg

Post by joeg »

Chris000001 wrote:I first noticed in early October - probably around the 4th. It could have happened earlier. That was the first time I tried to save an image using Image Toolbar extension and it failed, but I don't save images very often so it might have even been weeks earlier.
I came across this post of yours. viewtopic.php?f=48&t=73324&start=505

Do you have any idea what the code change was supposed to achieve? Not that I understand anything about programming, but it'd be interesting to hear - given the fact that (based on your comment) it was pretty clear the change was going to break quite a few extensions.
Chris000001

Post by Chris000001 »

I'm not sure what the code does. I noticed right-clicking an image and saving still worked when the Image Toolbar extension failed in Nightly. I looked up the function that is called on right-clicking and the information sent when the menu item was clicked using the DOM inspector and looking up the function in the Mozilla cross reference. I checked the MxR to compare Nightly with the release version and compared differences. I saw the new variable called 'aDoc' that was looked like it was sent 'window.content.document'. I added that to the function in Image Toolbar and it worked. After I looked through Image Toolbar's code a little more, it looked like 'targetImage.ownerDocument' would work for that extension, so I posted that fix. I did try looking up 'internalSave' and 'saveImageURL' in Bugzilla without much luck. Most people wouldn't include function names in bug titles, so I wasn't surprised. It should be possible to go back through the Nightly's to figure out when it was broken and figure out which bug it was (unless it was for security purposes.) I'm at work so I can't do that for a few hours :)
Dingler

Post by Dingler »

joeg

Post by joeg »

Chris000001 wrote:I'm not sure what the code does. ... I'm at work so I can't do that for a few hours :)
I sincerely thank you for your insightful and informative reply.

It's surprising to me that this hasn't generated much interest. I guess not many people make screenshots. :?
---------------
Thanks Dingler. I'm not sure if that's "the" bug that Chris000001 means, but it certainly sounds like what we're talking about. I've added a comment to it.
WaltS48

Post by WaltS48 »

I can confirm screen shots taken using Nightly Tester Tools 3.3, of Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:19.0) Gecko/19.0 Firefox/19.0, BuildID: 20121017030548, and Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:18.0) Gecko/18.0 Firefox/18.0 BuildID: 20121017042010, are not saved.
Linux Desktop - AMD Athlon(tm) II X3 455 3.3GHz | 8.0GB RAM | GeForce GT 630
Windows Notebook - AMD A8 7410 2.2GHz | 6.0GB RAM | AMD Radeon R5
Chris000001

Post by Chris000001 »

This is the bug that changed internalSave.
https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=795065

The other bug just states some extensions don't work anymore.

edit:I messed up the link originally
joeg

Post by joeg »

Chris000001 wrote:This is the bug that changed internalSave.

OK, but that bug was marked fixed on 11 Oct, and we've still got things broken. I don't understand.
Philip Chee

Post by Philip Chee »

JoeG wrote:
Chris000001 wrote:This is the bug that changed internalSave.

OK, but that bug was marked fixed on 11 Oct, and we've still got things broken. I don't understand.

In Mozilla land everything is a bug including enhancements and new features.

https://hg.mozilla.org/mozilla-central/rev/eff426a003e1#l21.99
The function signature of internalSave() changed:

Before:

Code: Select all

function internalSave(aURL, aDocument, aDefaultFileName, aContentDisposition,
                      aContentType, aShouldBypassCache, aFilePickerTitleKey,
                      aChosenData, aReferrer, aSkipPrompt, aCacheKey)

After:

function internalSave(aURL, aDocument, aDefaultFileName, aContentDisposition,
                      aContentType, aShouldBypassCache, aFilePickerTitleKey,
                      aChosenData, aReferrer, aInitiatingDocument, aSkipPrompt,
                      aCacheKey)

The difference is the extra "aInitiatingDocument" parameter inserted in position 10. If you don't care about private browsing just use document (or window.document) for this parameter.

https://hg.mozilla.org/mozilla-central/rev/eff426a003e1#l21.28
Similarly saveURL() now has an extra parameter tacked on to the end:

function saveURL(aURL, aFileName, aFilePickerTitleKey, aShouldBypassCache,
                 aSkipPrompt, aReferrer, aSourceDocument)

Phil