UX branch discussion

Discussion about official Mozilla Firefox builds
nadark

Re: UX branch discussion

Post by nadark »

marty60 wrote:
Ngamer01 wrote:
Watabou wrote:Maybe the full Australis could arrive by the end of the year.

Would be nice, but Mozilla will probably stop developing Australis and start on it's sequel later on at some point.

Mozilla never wants to sit on the same theme for longer than a year or two at most which makes 3rd party theme development unnecessarily difficult. ](*,)

That's good, I hope they dump Australis, at least with the desktop versions. According to Net Applications Firefox is once again on the rise with Chrome falling to 16%. In other words users are coming home to FF because of its increased performance and maybe some additional new features that Chrome had that people liked.

There's also a rich supply of addons and the privacy. Very few people are complaining about the UI and so the worst thing the developers could do at this point is to turn FF into a clone of a sinking browser like Chrome.

In my opinion FWIW that's why they should leave UI changes to addons and themes and continue doing exactly what they are, increasing performance.

If it was a simple theme change than Australis would have landed long ago, it's also meant to replace the nasty and slow code in the current theme that was rushed for Fx4 and make it more responsive.
Also, it's not just for the tab bar, the entire UI from options/preferences, addons and other chrome pages to text inputs and buttons will get a theme refresh.
Rodze

Post by Rodze »

SaphirJD wrote:Have tested out recently the Nightly UX. Really can not understand what people have against that new possible outlook. Nothing easier as getting a custom theme and getting that way rid of australis :)

You can already get a custom theme right now to make Firefox look like Chrome if you want.

There's no need for Mozilla to waste time changing the default theme. :)

marty60 wrote:
Grantius wrote:Have Mozilla been paying to bundle FF with programs like google does?

Not that I know of. Recently I had to update Shockwave player and on at least three occasions during the install there was an ad to download Chrome and make it the default browser. By that point I was practically screaming at the monitor. Google is really in your face with this and maybe people are getting tired of it. Firefox has to stand on its own and it's obviously a more preferred browser if Net Applications is to be believed.

Maybe Mozilla should get all the money it has and pay for ads instead of wasting it on stuff like Firefox OS.

It would probably be more effective, on the desktop/laptop space, than copying Chrome's theme, and, in the mobile/tablet space, than the aforementioned project.
juanj78

Post by juanj78 »

Just recieved a new ux update, and curving is much better, and no more line on the bottom of the tab
Watabou

Post by Watabou »

Uhh...I just updated and it seems that they finally draw the tabs in titlebar but it looks messed up.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/34865/Screensh ... 3%20AM.png
Last edited by smsmith on March 5th, 2013, 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: removed image tags as image size was breaking the forum layout - smsmith/moderator
Watabou

Post by Watabou »

Nevermind, I fixed it by disabling draw tabs in title bar option in about:config.
sdrocking

Post by sdrocking »

Setting gfx.filter.nearest.force-enabled to true messes up the shape of unselected tabs. Is anyone else seeing this?
juanj78

Post by juanj78 »

A few manual adjustments helps a a lot:
-Add a few spaces to the toolbar, on the location of the window buttons (red/yellow/green)
-Remove titlebar window text, with nightly tester tools

Result: Normal browsing:

Result: Private browsing:

No corruption here with gfx setting.

Suggested manual adjustments should be locked in the build.
And a few more adjustments are needed to make it look like the original design (spacing above tab, is to narrow)
Watabou

Post by Watabou »

Yeah adding spaces and removing the title really helped. It looks pretty good now. I feel like there should be some chrome on top to move the window around.
juanj78

Post by juanj78 »

Is there a bug listed, for the current issues (wich we fixed manually for now)
marty60

Post by marty60 »

juanj78 wrote:Is there a bug listed, for the current issues (wich we fixed manually for now)

Is there a fix for the problem reported on a few days ago where when minimizing UX in full screen to the taskbar then maximizing it again the Windows Taskbar stays showing? This is occurring for me even in Safe Mode and with a fresh profile.

Another annoying bug that I'm seeing in full screen at least is when going to various sites a small title of the page will briefly flash on the bottom of the screen. Doesn't do it every time though and is unrelated to the statusbar-display, which we are able to suppress with css code.
marty60

Post by marty60 »

nadark wrote:If it was a simple theme change than Australis would have landed long ago, it's also meant to replace the nasty and slow code in the current theme that was rushed for Fx4 and make it more responsive.

As I said some ideas might be an improvement while causing little disruption. What I would hate to see is a reduction in functions such as customization or the sidebar or addon bar. I read comments all the time from users of Firefox on the internet who like those features and it's often why some leave other browsers like Chrome. Makes no sense to take them away now while FF is slowly regaining market share.

Rodze wrote:Maybe Mozilla should get all the money it has and pay for ads instead of wasting it on stuff like Firefox OS.

The fact that Firefox is still doing as well as it is despite the uneven advertising blitz of Google says a lot about the browser and about Chrome.
omeringen

Post by omeringen »

Hi,
Nice to see finally there is some work on GNU/Linux builds. I'm on KDE DE. It's good on default color schemes but i like darker ones, so i'm using the Evening Lilac color scheme. Here is how it looks :
-.-
Drumbrake

Post by Drumbrake »

marty60 wrote:As I said some ideas might be an improvement while causing little disruption. What I would hate to see is a reduction in functions such as customization or the sidebar or addon bar. I read comments all the time from users of Firefox on the internet who like those features and it's often why some leave other browsers like Chrome. Makes no sense to take them away now while FF is slowly regaining market share.

Right on,I can live with an interface that I don't like so much at first and eventually get accustomed to it,but taking away customization,the addon bar,or the sidebar (the sidebar ?! are they out of their minds ?) would pretty much kill Firefox,IMHO.
Joga5000

Post by Joga5000 »

The tab titles in UX don't have Cleartype and look kinda bad. Screenshot. Is this on purpose or a bug? Normal browser text has cleartype, it's just the tab titles.

If it makes any difference, I'm on Windows 8.
Windows 8 Pro 64-bit | Core i7 4770K @ 4.5GHz | 8GB DDR3 1333 | Radeon HD 7950 3GB | Samsung S23A700D (120 Hz, 1080p)
Watabou

Post by Watabou »

There was a Firefox AMA on Reddit today and limi said that we will probably get the proper tabs in titlebar on the mac in tomorrow's UX build.

And he said they are still working on Lion scrollbars.