UX branch discussion

Discussion about official Mozilla Firefox builds
Watabou

Re: UX branch discussion

Post by Watabou »

Yeah it gets rid of the title as all apps do when they go fullscreen on OS X.

It's fine though, I'll just use Nightly until they put the tabs in the titlebar. There's just too much chrome right now for my liking. I'm still pretty happy it's finally on OS X. Maybe the full Australis could arrive by the end of the year.
JayhawksRock

Post by JayhawksRock »

Yeah time will tell. The behavior I have is all XP is gonna get and all its capable of for this OS. Win 7 and Mac will look more like the original mock ups. Really a low priority for Mozilla I think.
"The trouble with quotes on the internet is you never know if they are genuine" ...Abraham Lincoln
JLM081

Post by JLM081 »

Yay! Finally the new tabs on OS X - even if they look kinda rough right now, at least progress is being made!

I still can't believe those lion/mountain lion scrollbars aren't done yet...
juanj78

Post by juanj78 »

The photoshop samples look indeed better, the 'curving' is bad.

http://people.mozilla.com/~shorlander/f ... indow.html

Maybe its needs 'antialiasing'?

Curving looks better in 'private' browsing mode (wich uses lightweight theme)
nadark

Post by nadark »

There doesn't seem to be a dependancy bug for Tabs in Titlebar for Linux in the australis meta one.
Bummer.
marty60

Post by marty60 »

The latest build has a new problem in Full Screen. If you minimize FF to the taskbar then maximize it again the Windows Taskbar remains showing. I hope that's just a temporary bug...
Ngamer01

Post by Ngamer01 »

Watabou wrote:Maybe the full Australis could arrive by the end of the year.

Would be nice, but Mozilla will probably stop developing Australis and start on it's sequel later on at some point.

Mozilla never wants to sit on the same theme for longer than a year or two at most which makes 3rd party theme development unnecessarily difficult. ](*,)
marty60

Post by marty60 »

Ngamer01 wrote:

Would be nice, but Mozilla will probably stop developing Australis and start on it's sequel later on at some point.

Mozilla never wants to sit on the same theme for longer than a year or two at most which makes 3rd party theme development unnecessarily difficult. ](*,)

That's good, I hope they dump Australis, at least with the desktop versions. According to Net Applications Firefox is once again on the rise with Chrome falling to 16%. In other words users are coming home to FF because of its increased performance and maybe some additional new features that Chrome had that people liked.

There's also a rich supply of addons and the privacy. Very few people are complaining about the UI and so the worst thing the developers could do at this point is to turn FF into a clone of a sinking browser like Chrome.

In my opinion FWIW that's why they should leave UI changes to addons and themes and continue doing exactly what they are, increasing performance.
Grantius

Post by Grantius »

marty60 wrote:
Ngamer01 wrote:

That's good, I hope they dump Australis, at least with the desktop versions. According to Net Applications Firefox is once again on the rise with Chrome falling to 16%. In other words users are coming home to FF because of its increased performance and maybe some additional new features that Chrome had that people liked.

There's also a rich supply of addons and the privacy. Very few people are complaining about the UI and so the worst thing the developers could do at this point is to turn FF into a clone of a sinking browser like Chrome.

In my opinion FWIW that's why they should leave UI changes to addons and themes and continue doing exactly what they are, increasing performance.

Have Mozilla been paying to bundle FF with programs like google does?
Micro gaming box: AMD A10-7800 APU, 8gb RAM M350 ITX case (size of a book), Windows 10/Ubuntu
Tablet/Laptop: Asus Transformer T100, Intel Atom 2GB RAM, Windows 10 x86
Mobile:Xiaomi Redmi Note 3 Pro
marty60

Post by marty60 »

Grantius wrote:Have Mozilla been paying to bundle FF with programs like google does?

Not that I know of. Recently I had to update Shockwave player and on at least three occasions during the install there was an ad to download Chrome and make it the default browser. By that point I was practically screaming at the monitor. Google is really in your face with this and maybe people are getting tired of it. Firefox has to stand on its own and it's obviously a more preferred browser if Net Applications is to be believed.
SaphirJD

Post by SaphirJD »

Have tested out recently the Nightly UX. Really can not understand what people have against that new possible outlook. Nothing easier as getting a custom theme and getting that way rid of australis :)
JayhawksRock

Post by JayhawksRock »

Mozilla cant stand alone... Without the payments from Google for being the default search provider and MS-Bing and Yahoo they would be dead. Making a Free application provides nothing.. or did you pay for Firefox somehow?

Details > http://www.mozilla.org/en-US/foundation ... /2011/faq/

There may be more opportunity revenue in Mobile but thats in its infancy for Mozilla and my guess things that are done in the future will be all about Mobile first and Desktop will be a distant second.
"The trouble with quotes on the internet is you never know if they are genuine" ...Abraham Lincoln
marty60

Post by marty60 »

What I mean by stand alone is nobody is advertising for them. They don't own a youtube site with millions of visitors a day where "download Firefox for a better browsing experience" is plastered all over and in your face. As long as Firefox maintains a decent market share it's in Google's interest to keep themselves as default search engine otherwise I doubt Google would give Mozilla a dime.
JayhawksRock

Post by JayhawksRock »

True. Google has certainly changed the Browser landscape. http://gs.statcounter.com/#browser-ww-m ... 901-201302

Its in Googles best interest to help keep Firefox alive or sooner or later they will be spending time testifying before a US Congress Antitrust committee.
marty60

Post by marty60 »

SaphirJD wrote:Have tested out recently the Nightly UX. Really can not understand what people have against that new possible outlook. Nothing easier as getting a custom theme and getting that way rid of australis :)

The changes in Australis that I'm referring to would take away certain features such as customization of toolbars, removal of the addon and side bars and the ability to keep tabs on the bottom. Sure it's possible that eventually addons will be developed to put those back but it could also be a frustrating experience to millions of users who like FF the way it is and don't want to see those changes.

Some aspects of Australis might be good though. No software stays the same way forever.