UX branch discussion

Discussion about official Mozilla Firefox builds
couldabeen

Re: UX branch discussion

Post by couldabeen »

The last released version that does not use the Australius theme will be the one I keep for my Firefox browser. The last UX I upgraded to (IMO downgraded) is totally whack. I'm running an extremely old version of Thunderbird, why not Firefox.

(now where did I put that link for the Mozilla dev site?)
Free Your Mind, And Your A$$ Will Follow - Funkadelic, 1970
Ngamer01

Post by Ngamer01 »

So I guess it's safe to say Mozilla has jumped the shark now. If they are simplifying the options and getting rid of easily accessible advanced options, I'll bet that about:config will go on the chopping block one day. =(
Omega X

Post by Omega X »

Ngamer01 wrote: I'll bet that about:config will go on the chopping block one day. =(

I doubt it. About:Config is hidden from the user. There's no other way to get there than using the location bar and typing the command exactly as is.
Ngamer01

Post by Ngamer01 »

But the thing is Chrome doesn't have an about:config of it's own despite repeated requests from it's users. >.> <.<

Though I do hope Mozilla will leave it alone. Though sometimes tells me I'll be disappointed in the end. o.O
Omega X

Post by Omega X »

That was due to Webkit. I don't think Webkit ever had an about:config. However, Chrome has something called about:flags that lets you tweak advanced level experiments. About:Config has survived a decade and 3 major browsers based on the same source. I don't think its going anywhere.

At the most, it'll probably get a in-content update for its search bar.
Dan Cardin

Post by Dan Cardin »

Mozilla UX definitely has its priorities backwards (speaking of in-content that was supposed to happen for Fx 4, and options is the only thing that they've really even started, but they have no problem skipping that and going for the more controversial changes that they know people will start complaining about) but I see people that claim they're jumping ship every version for stupider and stupider "reasons" ("oh, download panel? oh the bloat, bye mozilla"....wtf?) and I just dont get it. Why would you jump ship when firefox is changing its US like this? to what? chrome, ie, safari? even less customizable! people these days.

It would have to take some serious ux changes for me to care enough to take the usability hit and switch to Chrome. Restricting a lot of the customizability of the UX is a mistake I dont think they should make, but it probably wouldn't bother me that much. I use the UX for visual confirmation and closing tabs (which I wouldn't mind doing with ctrl+W, its just a habit). It's a means to an end. Slow performance and not having the extensions that I use would be much larger problems for me.
Drumbrake

Post by Drumbrake »

Omega X wrote:About:Config has survived a decade and 3 major browsers based on the same source. I don't think its going anywhere.

Let's keep this quiet,or some developer may wake up someday and file a bug like,say
"users may accidentally type about:config while trying to access facebook and change preferences inadvertently,let's remove about:config for their own good"...
nadark

Post by nadark »

Drumbrake wrote:
Omega X wrote:About:Config has survived a decade and 3 major browsers based on the same source. I don't think its going anywhere.

Let's keep this quiet,or some developer may wake up someday and file a bug like,say
"users may accidentally type about:config while trying to access facebook and change preferences inadvertently,let's remove about:config for their own good"...

Where is the local file for about:config anyway? ~.mozilla/firefox/profile/prefs.js only shows user set prefs.
Point is, about:config should have a file somewhere in the profile that the about:config front-end reads from.
Ngamer01

Post by Ngamer01 »

I'd be weary about looking for the about:config file in the profile. If about:config was ever cut in Firefox and the about:config profile file could be interpreted as DRM and trying to break it to hack Firefox would break US DMCA laws. =/
SaphirJD

Post by SaphirJD »

Well, when thanks to Australis the time will come where i can no longer use the Nasa Night Launch Theme.. i will switch for sure to Palemoon or Waterfox.

Since at least that guys seem to offer more understanding to the Wishes and needs for the Users it is only the logical step to switch.

No longer being able to use Third Party Themes and of course taking away About:config. Would be in my opinion complete Suicide by the Firefox Devs.

Perhaps they make all the stupid choices because they realize that there is no Hope anyway for Firefox on the Desktop Market because Users switching mostly to Chrome or other Browsers, so if market share goes down enough, they can finally take care about stuff they actually really like theses days? You know.. if the cost/usage calculation switches more to the cost value... it is easy to put things to the grave :-k

Btw. Just an interesting thing.. How can it be that Nighly/Aurora/Betas are mostly MORE stable as the "Stable Versions" - Just take a look to that statistic... Quite horrible as it seems again for the New Released V20!

https://input.mozilla.org/en-US/?date_start=2013-03-27&date_end=2013-04-03
orizng

Post by orizng »

fire limi please, this freaking drama is going long enough, wherever you think the goal post is moving, what you guys are doing is just removing firefox's unique features.

I almost feel limi is getting secretly paid by google to make firefox a chrome-wannabe.

This is sad and pathetic.
couldabeen

Post by couldabeen »

So, how exactly are 'customize' changes made to the latest UX's? I get a customize window, but nothing will move, alter or otherwise 'customize.
malliz
Folder@Home

Post by malliz »

Well I imagine the customise windows itself will disappear in due course
What sort of man would put a known criminal in charge of a major branch of government? Apart from, say, the average voter.
"Terry Pratchett"
couldabeen

Post by couldabeen »

And that means what? I've been trying to move some icons, and the bookmarks back to the Bookmark Toolbar. No go!
malliz
Folder@Home

Post by malliz »

orizng wrote:fire limi please, this freaking drama is going long enough, wherever you think the goal post is moving, what you guys are doing is just removing firefox's unique features.

I almost feel limi is getting secretly paid by google to make firefox a chrome-wannabe.

This is sad and pathetic.

You do realise most of theses plans were put into place a long time ago? You need to use a much bigger brush if you want to paint a true picture
What sort of man would put a known criminal in charge of a major branch of government? Apart from, say, the average voter.
"Terry Pratchett"