UX branch discussion

Discussion about official Mozilla Firefox builds
faulty_fox

Re: UX branch discussion

Post by faulty_fox »

Well firstly i agree with Alex Limi, those options can lead to nasty consequences for a dummy user, so hiding them in a separate section with a warring message with a reset button would make sense. Also if you read the thing you can see that he never mentions removing them, he only says that it's time to do "some scrubbing and cleaning of the Firefox settings". So no need to panic so soon.

The curved tabs are nice to look at sure, but they seem very impractical and cumbersome which is what actually matters in an UI. Still if someone releases a squared tabs theme i'm fine. Worst case scenario i'll install the google chrome theme which manages to look nice while still being usable.

The new UI customization panel however is something which i can't understand and isn't easily fixable. I was expecting that they would just make the panel in-content and merge the forwad/back and refresh/stop buttons with the url-bar. The changes are much more extensive.
Why lock the buttons in place? Why break the tab-bar and add-on bar?

Edit : As a side-note this pop-ed in my mail today, i think it would be better to avoid posting this kind of comments on bugzilla, especially if the bug is unrelated.
omeringen

Post by omeringen »

patrickjdempsey wrote:
smsmith wrote:
omeringen wrote:Hi,
Nice to see finally there is some work on GNU/Linux builds. I'm on KDE DE. It's good on default color schemes but i like darker ones, so i'm using the Evening Lilac color scheme. Here is how it looks :

Problems like these have been plaguing Firefox for years on KDE. My guess is that you are either going to need to file a bug to make them aware of the problem, or just put together a quick userChrome or user style for Stylish to fix all these little nits. That's what I did when I used to run Fedora/KDE.

For some reason the way that color schemes are defined in Linux doesn't properly bubble up to Firefox. Not that Linux is exclusive in this... Windows color schemes haven't been properly detectable since Vista and Mozilla and other companies just work around it by hard-coding colors.

Hi,
I don't know if a bug report about it exists or not but I have just updated my ux build and looks like it's fixed. : )
-.-
juanj78

Post by juanj78 »

The Google Chrome theme works very nicely, but it does need more 'chrome' above the tabs
_matt_

Post by _matt_ »

Pr0phet wrote:Edit : As a side-note this pop-ed in my mail today, i think it would be better to avoid posting this kind of comments on bugzilla, especially if the bug is unrelated.

Someone copy-pasted my poorly worded comment and several other well-articulated comments from this thread and combined them into one super bitchy bugzilla comment? :?
Omega X

Post by Omega X »

Same here. My text starts the jumbled rant for some reason.
Timvde

Post by Timvde »

Pr0phet wrote:Edit : As a side-note this pop-ed in my mail today, i think it would be better to avoid posting this kind of comments on bugzilla, especially if the bug is unrelated.

Woah, it was weird reading that comment. He literally stole my post on this forum :shock:
Just to clarify: I have no idea who that guy is.
malliz
Folder@Home

Post by malliz »

Report it to the bugzilla admin. They may pull his account
What sort of man would put a known criminal in charge of a major branch of government? Apart from, say, the average voter.
"Terry Pratchett"
juanj78

Post by juanj78 »

Customization is now also showing on UX (mac) and looks better the provided try build from last week.

But still can't change/add/remove any buttons
marty60

Post by marty60 »

The customization isn't functional yet but I would like to get rid of the Firefox button on the right and be able to move the URL bar around like we can now.

What's worse is that I've got 5 different themes installed and everyone of them except the default were unusable or messed up. If it stays like that I can just hear the complaints from millions of people of why the developers are once again fixing something that isn't broken.
sabret00the

Post by sabret00the »

malliz wrote:Sorry limi as hardly covered himself in glory since taking on his current role.

A little harsh. Especially considering just how thinly resources were stretched as a result of the commitment to Firefox OS. Limi came from Google where there was a lot of statistical data that moulded his train of thought in regards to what browser design should be like and what browsers should be. It's only natural to attempt to bring Firefox in-line with your philosophy before you attempt to expand upon that. We're definitely gonna see some of "him" in the design language soon.

That said, I remember he said something about how low the usage of Reader was and with what we know now, how inevitably expendable it was considered for Google. I feel that rather than falling in line with a view, he could've in fact positioned Firefox to pick up the refugees from the closer of Reader. Alas, I fear that given how feed reading has been left absent on mobile, it'll be the same for desktop sooner or later.
orizng

Post by orizng »

I hate this new customization scheme, which should be called "not-customization scheme".

If I want Chrome, don't you think I would be using that already? This is getting more ridiculous everyday. If my voice cannot convince Mozilla to be unique, I may well vote with my computer and go to other browsers, since Firefox would just be the same thing.

Why do they hire a designer from google? Does firefox has a problem with UI? You can google (how ironic) problem with firefox in the past decades, and let me tell you, UI is not a problem why people switch to others.

Mozilla just wrote a blog about against monoculture of webkit, and now you basically try to transfer firefox UI into a second class chrome, and how is that "unique"? "diverse"? "different"?

Why do mozilla hire a google designer again? why waste money to bring down your own product?

If you cannot tell, I am outraged by this persistent spearheading to the hell.
RandyZie

Post by RandyZie »

orizng wrote:Why do they hire a designer from google? Does firefox has a problem with UI? You can google (how ironic) problem with firefox in the past decades, and let me tell you, UI is not a problem why people switch to others.

+1
sabret00the

Post by sabret00the »

orizng wrote:I hate this new customization scheme, which should be called "not-customization scheme".

If I want Chrome, don't you think I would be using that already? This is getting more ridiculous everyday. If my voice cannot convince Mozilla to be unique, I may well vote with my computer and go to other browsers, since Firefox would just be the same thing.

Why do they hire a designer from google? Does firefox has a problem with UI? You can google (how ironic) problem with firefox in the past decades, and let me tell you, UI is not a problem why people switch to others.

Mozilla just wrote a blog about against monoculture of webkit, and now you basically try to transfer firefox UI into a second class chrome, and how is that "unique"? "diverse"? "different"?

Why do mozilla hire a google designer again? why waste money to bring down your own product?

If you cannot tell, I am outraged by this persistent spearheading to the hell.

Because the goalposts were moved. Firefox was the most successful alternative browser in the world and suddenly Chrome came along, took that spot and the powers that be were unable to reconcile that information. Rather than accept the fact that they'll never compete with Chrome in raw numbers due to the sheer amount of money they can throw behind their marketing, they instead had an identity crisis. With the presence of Chrome and what was largely considered to be the modernisation of their business concept/resource, it became a perceived necessity to keep Firefox relevant by any means necessary. There have been some major benefits to this identity-crisis process. Take for example rapid-releases and the fact the various branches are far more organised and delivering marketable products more rapidly.
marty60

Post by marty60 »

sabret00the, that depends on whom you believe when it comes to the statistics. Net Applications, which measures unique visitors has Chrome losing share in the last three to four months and is now down to 16%. At the same time, Firefox has been slowly regaining users and is currently back to over 20%. The real winner lately has been IE, probably due to IE10. It begs the question though: why the rush on Mozilla’s part to continue copying a sinking browser and does their ex-Google designer have anything to do with it?

The bottom line is that Firefox is maintaining its loyalty base and that according to Net Applications at least is ahead of Chrome despite Google's massive advertising. So I'm not sure what the point is about dumbing down the browser now. I'm reading about maintenance costs but how much is it to keep the back button separate from the URL bar, which is the way many of us use it? Now we’ll have to wait for kind developers who have the time and energy to restore these basic UI functions with addons.

Such questionable moves just anger the base and may actually push some of them to other browsers.
dkgo

Post by dkgo »

have no choice