UX branch discussion

Discussion about official Mozilla Firefox builds
joeg
Location: How can you be in two places at once, when you're not anywhere at all?

Re: UX branch discussion

Post by joeg »

TheVisitor wrote:A quick look at the checkins on UX, it appears they only merge from m-c ( mozilla-central) into UX only every 3 or 4 days. So far https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=855370 <-Remove the ability to not "Always show the tab bar" has not made it into UX...
Thank you very much. It gives me something to look forward to. :-"
Although every day is Judgment Day, I nonetheless feel like a room without a roof.
sabret00the

Re: Third party themes work with Australis

Post by sabret00the »

Frank Lion wrote:
Ge3k0s wrote:Are you serious ? Matthew N. is the Mozilla's developer that is currently implementing Australis tabs...

Are you serious? God help Firefox users if that's true. The ones done on Userstyles for Stylish look better.

Seriously? Why do you have to be so fricking rude? The dude have come into power-user territory to try and allay some fears and your response isn't to treat him with respect like an adult, but instead to insult the frick out of him and his work? Grow up and stop being a twit. I understand you're angry about the development of Firefox, but he's one man who's trying to go above and beyond his job description. He does not deserve your insults and as you're not the only one this board is meant to cater to, I'd rather have developers here who feel they can have an open line of adult communication with power users, than those that steer clear because you want to throw a temper tantrum.
JayhawksRock

Post by JayhawksRock »

sabret00the wrote:Seriously? Why do you have to be so fricking rude? The dude have come into power-user territory to try and allay some fears and your response isn't to treat him with respect like an adult, but instead to insult the frick out of him and his work? Grow up and stop being a twit. I understand you're angry about the development of Firefox, but he's one man who's trying to go above and beyond his job description. He does not deserve your insults and as you're not the only one this board is meant to cater to, I'd rather have developers here who feel they can have an open line of adult communication with power users, than those that steer clear because you want to throw a temper tantrum.

"The trouble with quotes on the internet is you never know if they are genuine" ...Abraham Lincoln
Frank Lion

Re: Third party themes work with Australis

Post by Frank Lion »

sabret00the wrote:Seriously? Why do you have to be so fricking rude?

Yeah, because Mozilla devs are never fricking rude and are always very polite, aren't they? -
https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgr ... PZxsNDgvNA[26-50-false]

I'd like to see them pull that stunt here.

sabret00the wrote:Seriously? Why do you have to be so fricking rude?

Says the guy who all but called malliz a liar to his face -

sabret00the wrote:In that regard, I'd hope that people throwing around accusations, felt enough of a sense of accountability to take responsibility and post a source. I personally checked Asa's blog once you pointed me there and was unable to find the statement pertaining to themes.

...but he wasn't a liar, was he? - viewtopic.php?p=12762923#p12762923

sabret00the wrote:I'd rather have developers here who feel they can have an open line of adult communication with power users, than those that steer clear because you want to throw a temper tantrum.

Pointing out when someone is not doing their job well is not 'throwing a temper tantrum'.

If the best some dev can do here is to produce some apologist list as to why UX is great and not mention a word about half the proposed chrome UI being locked in place then no great loss, I reckon.

I also don't like it when people try to mislead others with stuff like this -

MattN wrote:Where are people getting the idea that third-party themes won't work with Australis? That is not a goal of the project and since most of the changes are to Firefox's default theme, it will have minimal effect on existing third-party themes.

...and I'm sitting here with the DOMi open looking straight at the deliberately hard coded #nav-bar-customizationtarget which I know damn well will affect all existing third-party themes
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
KilliK

Post by KilliK »

Yeah, because Mozilla devs are never fricking rude and are always very polite, aren't they? -

fallacy...
malliz
Folder@Home

Post by malliz »

ominus wrote:

fallacy...

No it's not and he didn't even have the guts to admit he was wrong and I was right and as for you orizng making outrageous statements about Limi maybe check the history of the planning for Firefox going into the future before you open your mouth and change feet
What sort of man would put a known criminal in charge of a major branch of government? Apart from, say, the average voter.
"Terry Pratchett"
Omega X

Post by Omega X »

So much drama.
sabret00the

Post by sabret00the »

malliz wrote:No it's not and he didn't even have the guts to admit he was wrong and I was right and as for you orizng making outrageous statements about Limi maybe check the history of the planning for Firefox going into the future before you open your mouth and change feet

Wrong? I asked you to provide a source. That's not calling you a liar, it's merely asking for the evidence. You did so and I would've thanked you, but you was rude.

malliz wrote:Now you can crawl back under your rock
You know the whole "please don't feed the trolls" mantra.

Frank Lion wrote:Says the guy who all but called malliz a liar to his face -

...but he wasn't a liar, was he? - viewtopic.php?p=12762923#p12762923

You're a tad defensive, why is that?

Frank Lion wrote:Pointing out when someone is not doing their job well is not 'throwing a temper tantrum'.
You surely deal with people every day, surely you know that there's a way to talk to people. We're civilised for goodness sake. There's a way to deal with people and your approach was found lacking. In which manner do you felt he wasn't doing his job? He merely challenged your preconceptions regarding the current direction of Firefox customisation.

Frank Lion wrote:If the best some dev can do here is to produce some apologist list as to why UX is great and not mention a word about half the proposed chrome UI being locked in place then no great loss, I reckon.
The 'apologist' is the one submitting the very patches we're discussing here.

Frank Lion wrote:I also don't like it when people try to mislead others with stuff like this<snip>...and I'm sitting here with the DOMi open looking straight at the deliberately hard coded #nav-bar-customizationtarget which I know damn well will affect all existing third-party themes
Then formulate your posts to show a basic level of respect that encourages dialogue. The other day when the source was provided regarding Asa's statement, I ended up reading some thread in the themes section about the website and I saw the way that Jorge Villalobos (excuse my spelling) was attacked. It was despicable and left a bad taste in my mouth. I'd never go into a shop and attack someone that was trying to help in the manner that someone fighting your corner was. I felt embarrassed for us all as you guys were representatives of the users of this site. By all means, call Mozilla on it's bullshit, but there's a way to do that and in a space where we're all represented, no one should be talking to the developers or managers in the way in which you theme guys seem to think it's okay. I myself have on occasion been bitterly disappointed to the point of calling for heads, but I [atleast try and] do so in my personal space (i.e. my blog). I don't think it's too much to ask that before attacking anyone, you bare in mind that your comments and tone my affect us all. We'd all much rather be able to interact with the developers than not.

PS: To everyone that helped track down Asa's statement, thank you. I hope that it was a premature view at the time and was created due to him being swept up in the shinnyness of Persona's. Ultimately, evidence suggests that despite any push, Persona's have failed as a business avenue and as a replacement for what is now dubbed "full themes". I know that some feel marginalised and so in some cases rightfully so, but rather than rant and swear, it'd surely be best if we could have a line of communication open with the development team and the UX Team. I'd like to see this site reach a point where by we can have weekly or monthly Q&As with the Mozilla staff in a bid to grow the browser in a manner that we all feel heard and understood. I'd much rather that than a boys club where people sit around bitching and screaming about no one listening because we created a hostile atmosphere.
Last edited by sabret00the on April 4th, 2013, 3:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

So much drama.

...off-topic diversionary tactics don't work with me.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
KilliK

Post by KilliK »

malliz wrote:
ominus wrote:

fallacy...

No it's not and he didn't even have the guts to admit he was wrong and I was right

um, what you are saying has nothing to do with the right to criticize someone and the validity of that criticism.
smsmith

Post by smsmith »

Omega X wrote:So much drama.

Yep. We're done here for now. Let's take a day off of discussing this and someone can start (again) with a new topic.
Give a man a fish, and he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish, and he eats for a lifetime.
I like poetry, long walks on the beach and poking dead things with a stick.
Please do not PM me for personal support. Keep posts here in the Forums instead and we all learn.