UX branch discussion

Discussion about official Mozilla Firefox builds
JayhawksRock

Re: UX branch discussion

Post by JayhawksRock »

couldabeen wrote:And that means what? I've been trying to move some icons, and the bookmarks back to the Bookmark Toolbar. No go!

It means you cant change much... at least for now. I have been able to change the order of most of the buttons. The intent is to reduce what can be changed and probably eliminate changes in total. Only the Nav Bar can hold buttons and the back/forward butons and the URL bar cant be changed AFAIK. Similar to Chrome.
"The trouble with quotes on the internet is you never know if they are genuine" ...Abraham Lincoln
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

Does someone have the relevant Bug numbers relating to the UX Incontent customisation palette changes, specifically the position fixing changes of the main UI toolbar buttons and searchbar?

I want to study these coding changes closely before commenting further, rather extensively, on a range of issues pertaining to this matter.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
marty60

Post by marty60 »

The latest jamun build does have the ability to move buttons around on the Navigation bar but nothing else. All the buttons from the Toolbar button pack are non-existent and if you remove one from that addon that is still on the Navigation bar to the customize window it vanishes. It's a total mess and completely unusable, at least for now.
MattN

Re: Third party themes work with Australis

Post by MattN »

SaphirJD wrote:Well, when thanks to Australis the time will come where i can no longer use the Nasa Night Launch Theme.. i will switch for sure to Palemoon or Waterfox...
SaphirJD wrote:No longer being able to use Third Party Themes...

Where are people getting the idea that third-party themes won't work with Australis? That is not a goal of the project and since most of the changes are to Firefox's default theme, it will have minimal effect on existing third-party themes.
JayhawksRock wrote:The intent is to reduce what can be changed and probably eliminate changes in total.

The current customization work-in-progress on the UX branch is limited and buggy compared to the customization that will be allowed upon release. Some of the benefits off the top of my head are:
  • an easier to use customization UI that includes themes, toolbar and menu customization
  • allow customization of the menu panel which you can't currently do with the Firefox button. This includes add-on buttons in the panel menu
  • providing more obvious entry points into the customization mode, which will likely lead to an increase in users customizing the browser.
  • Making it easier for add-on developers to create toolbar buttons by providing APIs to do so.
  • More obvious zoom controls
Overall, there is so much ranting and misinformation being spread in this thread while very little discussion of specific bugs/issues.
Drumbrake

Post by Drumbrake »

As it is now,Australis is indeed very buggy:one thing I've noticed,is that the Panorama button does nothing at all-is that because of this generally buggy behaviour we're talking about or it has been nuked already,as it has been plannned?
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

MattN wrote:Where are people getting the idea that third-party themes won't work with Australis?

Their eyes? Their brains? What themes have you tested on UX?

That is not a goal of the project and since most of the changes are to Firefox's default theme, it will have minimal effect on existing third-party themes.

Ill-informed drivel, by someone who I can tell has never coded either.

Overall, there is... very little discussion of specific bugs/issues.

...and the specific Bug report numbers, would be?....
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
joeg
Location: How can you be in two places at once, when you're not anywhere at all?

Post by joeg »

Frank Lion wrote:What themes have you tested on UX?

Red Cats Green Flavor
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=2593247&start=135 (second post)

You kindly informed me how to fix the "icons" issue. Again, thanks.

If you - or anyone - knows how to get the titlebar icon and text back, I'll happily test the UX build.

As always, thanks very much.
Although every day is Judgment Day, I nonetheless feel like a room without a roof.
Ge3k0s

Post by Ge3k0s »

Frank Lion wrote:
MattN wrote:That is not a goal of the project and since most of the changes are to Firefox's default theme, it will have minimal effect on existing third-party themes.

Ill-informed drivel, by someone who I can tell has never coded either.

Are you serious ? Matthew N. is the Mozilla's developer that is currently implementing Australis tabs...
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

JoeG wrote:

Red Cats Green Flavor
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=2593247&start=135 (second post)

Joe, you are testing a theme in Text Only mode and using the default toolbarbuttons text positions. Not many people use Text Only.

Now let's see what it looks like showing the toolbar button icons like 99% people do -

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

The UX Customise button is broken and showing the entire toolbar.png. Not a problem for users, drag it off and use the menu instead? - you can't, the button is locked in position (Theme writers can fix that easily enough.)

Move the searchbar to the left of the urlbar maybe? - you can't it's locked in position.

Move the urlbar to a different toolbar? - you can't it's locked in position.

Move the Forward, Back buttons somewhere else? - you can't they are locked in position.

Guess what I'm going to write about the Stop and Reload buttons? That's right.

Guys, I don't ask any of you to agree with a word I write, but...when you know a guy has been making themes since 2006, how about at least giving me the benefit of the doubt that I may actually know what I'm talking about with this stuff?

Ge3k0s wrote:Are you serious ? Matthew N. is the Mozilla's developer that is currently implementing Australis tabs...

Are you serious? God help Firefox users if that's true. The ones done on Userstyles for Stylish look better.

Either way -

Frank Lion wrote:I've only had a quick look at UX and, theme-wise, the tabs are not a problem. That one is easily solved..

viewtopic.php?p=12762695#p12762695

The tab guy is not much help on the locked position buttons problem, is it now?

Edit - fixed breaking thumbnail pic.
Last edited by Frank Lion on April 4th, 2013, 7:48 am, edited 2 times in total.
joeg
Location: How can you be in two places at once, when you're not anywhere at all?

Post by joeg »

I'm fooling around with UX on my other computer and have just updated to the 03 April build. If someone knows, could you please tell me why the "always show one tab" idea isn't part of UX, at least as of yesterday's build?

I know I could probably find out myself by spending half an hour searching the web. I'm just hoping someone here would be kind enough to save me the time and effort.

Thank you in advance.
Although every day is Judgment Day, I nonetheless feel like a room without a roof.
joeg

Post by joeg »

Red Cats Green Flavor
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=2593247&start=135 (second post)[/quote]
Frank Lion wrote:Joe, you are testing a theme in Text Only mode and using the default toolbarbuttons text positions. Not many people use Text Only.
I knew I'm weird, but I didn't know it's that bad. :oops:
Frank Lion wrote:Now let's see what it looks like showing the toolbar button icons like 99% people do
Now I see what you mean. Thanks.
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

JoeG wrote:I knew I'm weird, but I didn't know it's that bad. :oops:

I was surprised as well. I think Text Only looks pretty smart, especially in a work environment. But no, it seems that very few users use it.

Wish someone had told me that years back - on a dark background, it's the very devil itself to get the Text Only normal/disabled/hover states text colours looking distinctive from each other and generally looking right.
TheVisitor

Post by TheVisitor »

JoeG wrote:I'm fooling around with UX on my other computer and have just updated to the 03 April build. If someone knows, could you please tell me why the "always show one tab" idea isn't part of UX, at least as of yesterday's build?

I know I could probably find out myself by spending half an hour searching the web. I'm just hoping someone here would be kind enough to save me the time and effort.

Thank you in advance.

A quick look at the checkins on UX, it appears they only merge from m-c ( mozilla-central) into UX only every 3 or 4 days.
So far https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=855370 <-Remove the ability to not "Always show the tab bar"
has not made it into UX...
joeg

Post by joeg »

Frank Lion wrote:I think Text Only looks pretty smart, especially in a work environment. But no, it seems that very few users use it.
I think I've mentioned this several times in the forum over the years, but I'll repeat it 'cause it seems to fit here.

Back in 1994, when I got my first internet connection - I was actually the very first person in the village of Laverune, France to have one - I decided to go with Netscape rather than IE because it offered the text-only function. I've never used my browser any other way.
speciesx

Post by speciesx »

Frank Lion wrote:Move the searchbar to the left of the urlbar maybe? - you can't it's locked in position.

Move the urlbar to a different toolbar? - you can't it's locked in position.

Move the Forward, Back buttons somewhere else? - you can't they are locked in position.

Guess what I'm going to write about the Stop and Reload buttons? That's right.

The ability use small icons are also gone.
sry for my bad english.

My real user agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv: current nightly) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/current nightly