NEW Nightly Firefox Win 64 bit Discussion

Discussion about official Mozilla Firefox builds
Srap

Re: NEW Nightly Firefox Win 64 bit Discussion

Post by Srap »

Briscoe wrote:Waterfox would be OK if it did not take up you Firefox profile. Palemoon 64 Bit doesn't do that unless you download a migration tool.

I have a hunch that he used a clear profile for the benchmark.
Or, at least, there is no sign of any customization on the Firefox UI.
Sorry for my bad English. Even if there wasn't a mistake.
kronckew

Post by kronckew »

i like waterfox because it DOES use the same profile by default, so both waterfox and my ff x64 look exactly alike and have all my customizations and use the same addons and plugins (all of which are working). it's easy enough to use a different profile with each by adding a -p {profile name} parameter to the shortcut target.

i use a different profile for ff x86 current release and it's 32 bit plugins. the 32bit is there in case the nightly breaks both wf & ff x64. so far i haven't used it in months.

the current ff 21.01a x64 nightly is of course, still 'broken' and the last good one was 09JAN13 but it works fine with the same profile and wf 18.01
CAVE CANEM RADIX LECTI ET SEMPER PARATUS
Retired: Everyday I make a list of those things
That I am not going to do today, Then I don't do them.
alex_mayorga

Post by alex_mayorga »

Apparently broken win64 updates are https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=829738

Anyone here that could hack a fix, please?
kronckew

Post by kronckew »

it's been fixed! win x64 nightlies dated 25JAN13 are in the nightly folder! i'm posting this with it!

i guess someone finally cared.
CAVE CANEM RADIX LECTI ET SEMPER PARATUS
Retired: Everyday I make a list of those things
That I am not going to do today, Then I don't do them.
speciesx

Post by speciesx »

alex_mayorga wrote:Apparently broken win64 updates are https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=829738

Anyone here that could hack a fix, please?

I think that will fix the PGO build https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=830594 and that fixed the win64 build https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=830676.
sry for my bad english.

My real user agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv: current nightly) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/current nightly
Elbart

Post by Elbart »

gone
joeg
Location: How can you be in two places at once, when you're not anywhere at all?

Post by joeg »

Thanks. I've added my vote.
Although every day is Judgment Day, I nonetheless feel like a room without a roof.
HeinzDo

Post by HeinzDo »

I also voted.
I'm curious what's happening next.
Windows 10 1903 x64
Firefox Nightly x64
Jadugar

Post by Jadugar »

Voting doesn't really do anything. Votes all go ignored. The intent of voting was to get much wanted bugs and fixes and features in. Mozilla from day 1 has ignored voting and so it does nothing. They really need to disable that so it doesn't give false hope that voting actually does something. I suspect that bug will be marked Wontfix.
Grantius

Post by Grantius »

Jadugar wrote:Voting doesn't really do anything. Votes all go ignored. The intent of voting was to get much wanted bugs and fixes and features in. Mozilla from day 1 has ignored voting and so it does nothing. They really need to disable that so it doesn't give false hope that voting actually does something. I suspect that bug will be marked Wontfix.

I agree, this has been argued back and forth for quite some time now
Micro gaming box: AMD A10-7800 APU, 8gb RAM M350 ITX case (size of a book), Windows 10/Ubuntu
Tablet/Laptop: Asus Transformer T100, Intel Atom 2GB RAM, Windows 10 x86
Mobile:Xiaomi Redmi Note 3 Pro
joeg
Location: How can you be in two places at once, when you're not anywhere at all?

Post by joeg »

Jadugar wrote:Voting doesn't really do anything. Votes all go ignored ... Mozilla from day 1 has ignored voting and so it does nothing. They really need to disable that so it doesn't give false hope that voting actually does something.
Thanks for the tip. Then I guess it's like voting in most of the world. Does Mozilla also have an agency similar to the NSA?
Although every day is Judgment Day, I nonetheless feel like a room without a roof.
James

Post by James »

I would be surprised if they move it from Tier 3 to Tier 1 anytime soon especially if there is no future version targeted for Win64.

Jadugar wrote:Voting doesn't really do anything. Votes all go ignored. The intent of voting was to get much wanted bugs and fixes and features in. Mozilla from day 1 has ignored voting and so it does nothing. They really need to disable that so it doesn't give false hope that voting actually does something. I suspect that bug will be marked Wontfix.

To me if the vote feature did not exist, we would have seen a lot more bug spam with useless you got my vote kind of comments.
Elbart

Post by Elbart »

Jadugar wrote:I suspect that bug will be marked Wontfix.

The bug was opened by someone from within Mozilla, so I assume it has some support behind it.
gone
Jadugar

Post by Jadugar »

Elbart wrote:The bug was opened by someone from within Mozilla, so I assume it has some support behind it.

That doesn't matter. The hierarchy at Mozilla will not allow it especially with the ego some people have. It was only recently that win64 was moved to tier 3 from tier 2 and it went even as far as trying to make it tier 4 and disabling building win64 at all. The made up false reasoning at the time still apply today due to the higher ups at Mozilla still being there. Hence, there is a very good chance it will be marked as Wontfix.
Grantius

Post by Grantius »

Jadugar wrote:
Elbart wrote:The bug was opened by someone from within Mozilla, so I assume it has some support behind it.

That doesn't matter. The hierarchy at Mozilla will not allow it especially with the ego some people have. It was only recently that win64 was moved to tier 3 from tier 2 and it went even as far as trying to make it tier 4 and disabling building win64 at all. The made up false reasoning at the time still apply today due to the higher ups at Mozilla still being there. Hence, there is a very good chance it will be marked as Wontfix.

Reasoning like "Win64 uses more RAM and we can get more gains from focusing on a single 32bit client then fragmenting into having to support major build infrastructure for people who think a 64bit OS automagically means I should run the x64 version of everything, including things which should never use more than 4GB of RAM"?

A better gain will be from e10s, and running multiple 32bit processes so you never hit the 4GB limit
Micro gaming box: AMD A10-7800 APU, 8gb RAM M350 ITX case (size of a book), Windows 10/Ubuntu
Tablet/Laptop: Asus Transformer T100, Intel Atom 2GB RAM, Windows 10 x86
Mobile:Xiaomi Redmi Note 3 Pro