NEW Nightly Firefox Win 64 bit Discussion

Discussion about official Mozilla Firefox builds
Sylph

Re: NEW Nightly Firefox Win 64 bit Discussion

Post by Sylph »

Tthat might be true, or it might not. I highly doubt that the majority of those who use 64-bit Nightlies fall under that category.

However, somehow that line above makes no sense to me, even as irony.

I don't know, if they're building the MacOS and Linux builds, I don't see why they shouldn't build a Windows one.
ferongr

Post by ferongr »

Sylph wrote:I highly doubt that the majority of those who use 64-bit Nightlies fall under that category.

Don't doubt it, just read the comments in every tech-oriented news site. Apart from the 4GB limit there is no advantage to using 64bit win32 builds. In any case, I'd welcome any proof in favor of 64bit builds.
What Falken giveth, the tōge taketh away.
DPMR

Post by DPMR »

My two cents
As upper management said it is taking to many resources away from other projects.

To build a version with such a small market, and costing so much added work to build, at this time is just not where the market is moving.

Phones and tablets is where the market is moving to, and if Mozilla can't get into that market in time, their fate may be Doomed.

I don't think anyone is giving up on 64 bit Windows yet, the Market is just not there, when and if the demand materializes, I am sure they will put more effort into it.

Personally I don't think the Windows demand will go up, I think the Phones and Tablets will walk away with it all.

Think about it, you can just come home and pop your Tablet into a docking station and instant Desktop.

I'm sure Desktops are simply going to become storage bins for the Phones and Tablets data and media needs.
Mozilla/Anything Firefox I like the challenge
malliz
Folder@Home

Post by malliz »

DPMR wrote:I'm sure Desktops are simply going to become storage bins for the Phones and Tablets data and media needs.

Yep they will become NAS servers basically. I guess it depends on the Hardware development of tablets really the time may come where they will require 64bit browsers. The desktop is rapidly becoming a dinosaur other than for a purpose built production tool needed for Media development and cad cam et'c
What sort of man would put a known criminal in charge of a major branch of government? Apart from, say, the average voter.
"Terry Pratchett"
Briscoe

Post by Briscoe »

malliz wrote:
DPMR wrote:I'm sure Desktops are simply going to become storage bins for the Phones and Tablets data and media needs.

Yep they will become NAS servers basically. I guess it depends on the Hardware development of tablets really the time may come where they will require 64bit browsers. The desktop is rapidly becoming a dinosaur other than for a purpose built production tool needed for Media development and cad cam et'c

I would loved to see a gamer play COD on a tablet.
Srap

Post by Srap »

Briscoe wrote:I would loved to see a gamer play COD on a tablet.

I think this is drifting off-topic.

Edit: Because I just took a look in, and not before. Nothing personal. Besides, I just said what I thought. also, if the Admins think otherwise, you can just continue talking about tablets or games, ignoring my comment.
Last edited by Srap on January 15th, 2013, 4:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Sorry for my bad English. Even if there wasn't a mistake.
Briscoe

Post by Briscoe »

Srap wrote:
Briscoe wrote:I would loved to see a gamer play COD on a tablet.

I think this is drifting off-topic.

How so it has gone from a Win 64 Bit Browser to tablets, and it's only going off topic when I post.
malliz
Folder@Home

Post by malliz »

Briscoe wrote:
malliz wrote:

I would loved to see a gamer play COD on a tablet.

Edit:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... kops&hl=en
http://m.cnet.com.au/razer-edge-gaming- ... 342969.htm
One has to keep up with technology
What sort of man would put a known criminal in charge of a major branch of government? Apart from, say, the average voter.
"Terry Pratchett"
LoudNoise

Post by LoudNoise »

I tend to agree with Srap. Lean back toward the topic please.
Post wrangler
"Choose between the Food Select Feature or other Functions. If no food or function is chosen, Toast is the default."
speciesx

Post by speciesx »

Win64 opt build is now also broken...
sry for my bad english.

My real user agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv: current nightly) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/current nightly
mdleers

Post by mdleers »

Winx64Fx PGO builds actually presented a build on the 17th.

I tried it, lost all my thumbs on the New Tab page and many items were otherwise broken on various sites.

I dropped back to the Winx64Fx PGO build from January 9th and was prompted for a restart of the computer. A rare thing as I always close Fx before doing an update with the PGO builds - this was the only time I was ever prompted for a restart of the computer.
Got it all back afterward (thumbnails on the New Tab page) and no errors on the sites wherein I did see errors with the 17th PGO build.
The Win32 latest Nightly is working fine, as well, in those aspects.

Looks like there is still more to do in creating a new build for Winx64 ...
Alice0775

Post by Alice0775 »

This will fix Winx64 PGO build
[*]#830594 [Core:Build Config]-Turn on ENABLE_SHARED_JS on Win64 builder for PGO linker limit [Win]
joeg
Location: How can you be in two places at once, when you're not anywhere at all?

Post by joeg »

Alice0775 wrote:This will fix Winx64 PGO build
[*]#830594 [Core:Build Config]-Turn on ENABLE_SHARED_JS on Win64 builder for PGO linker limit [Win]
Cool! And when do you think we can reckon with it being downloadable? And where, please? Or will it update from the Nightly channel?

Thanks very much.
Although every day is Judgment Day, I nonetheless feel like a room without a roof.
speciesx

Post by speciesx »

Alice0775 wrote:This will fix Winx64 PGO build

But the win64 build would be still broken.
sry for my bad english.

My real user agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv: current nightly) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/current nightly
joeg
Location: How can you be in two places at once, when you're not anywhere at all?

Post by joeg »

speciesx wrote:But the win64 build would be still broken.
:?:
Ummmm, so what is it that Alice is referring to that she said will be fixed? And where can the Winx64 PGO build be downloaded, please?
Although every day is Judgment Day, I nonetheless feel like a room without a roof.