MozillaZine

Firefox Nightly

Discussion about official Mozilla Firefox builds
LoudNoise

Post Posted January 21st, 2013, 7:30 pm

I am currently in a debate with a yahoo. Is there any reason to believe that the NIghtly is reasonably secure? I am assuming that there isn't since the point of it is to add new stuff and such things will be cleaned up in Aurora and the beta.
Post wrangler
"If you lock this, the Pentium IIs win." - anonymous

mdleers

Post Posted January 21st, 2013, 7:37 pm

LoudNoise wrote:Is there any reason to believe that the NIghtly is reasonably secure?

No, there is not.
Testers need to have other security measures in place lest they get bit (potentially speaking, of course).
I think "Minefield" was probably the best description when it was described as such.

malliz
Folder@Home

Post Posted January 21st, 2013, 8:01 pm

That was brave of you mikedl
What sort of man would put a known criminal in charge of a major branch of government? Apart from, say, the average voter.
"Terry Pratchett"

Grantius

Post Posted January 21st, 2013, 8:16 pm

LoudNoise wrote:I am currently in a debate with a yahoo. Is there any reason to believe that the NIghtly is reasonably secure? I am assuming that there isn't since the point of it is to add new stuff and such things will be cleaned up in Aurora and the beta.

2 edged sword, on one side we are the first to get new features and security updates, but on the other hand we are also the first to get new exploitable changes in code.
Micro gaming box: AMD A10-7800 APU, 8gb RAM M350 ITX case (size of a book), Ubuntu 15.04/W10TP
Tablet/Laptop: Asus Transformer T100, Intel Atom 2GB RAM, Windows 10TP x86, Nightly 32bit
Mobile:Note 3 with CM12, Nightly FF

Omega X

Post Posted January 21st, 2013, 9:21 pm

Unless virus writers are combing the source as its being changed, I don't think anyone running Nightly is any less safe than those running a final build.
Latest: Firefox/39.0 *ESR/38.0.5 - Mobile/39.0 - Thunderbird/38.0.5 - SeaMonkey/2.33.1
Nightly: Nightly/42.0 - Mobile/42.0 - Daily/42.0 - SeaMonkey/2.35a1

ferongr

Post Posted January 22nd, 2013, 1:49 am

Omega X wrote:Unless virus writers are combing the source as its being changed, I don't think anyone running Nightly is any less safe than those running a final build.

Basically this. Many features developed on other branches are usually fuzzed before landing in m-c. Even if a potential security issue is discovered from a patch that has ridden down the trains a fix for it lands in all branches carrying that patch simultaneously.

I don't see how the Nightlies can be less secure either.
What Falken giveth, the tōge taketh away.

Return to Firefox Builds