High CPU Usage -

Discussion about official Mozilla Firefox builds
Grantius

Re: High CPU Usage -

Post by Grantius »

iwod wrote:Not sure if anyone will be interested but i will post some of my findings here anyway.

I finally use Noscript to disable ALL JS ( No White List ) . On my Single Core Pentium 4 3.2Ghz, 2G RAM, To me that is a relatively powerful CPU for something i mainly, if not solely use to browser the Internet. I am still seeing a bump in CPU usage from time to time simply due to rendering webpage. I didn't do any scentific measure but simply looking at the CPU graph loading the same set of website i could deduce Chrome uses less CPU resources when simply rendering website.

Memory uses is also way lower. Roughly around 50 - 60% Reduction in memory usage. Browsing the Internet with Javascript off is simply a MUCH better firefox experience. It isn't perfect though. At least not to me, there are still times and areas where there are very very slight lag in the UI. I dont think most users would notice. But i am picky with UI response.

This got me to think are we way too obsessive with JavaScript? I think most web site designer would only test their website with one tab at a time. It works well, but when you have a few or a dozen more things just aren't pretty.

Try adblock with trackers blocked - almost just as fast, but you can actually use websites.
Micro gaming box: AMD A10-7800 APU, 8gb RAM M350 ITX case (size of a book), Windows 10/Ubuntu
Tablet/Laptop: Asus Transformer T100, Intel Atom 2GB RAM, Windows 10 x86
Mobile:Xiaomi Redmi Note 3 Pro
JayhawksRock

Post by JayhawksRock »

@iwod
Did you disable All Javascript items in Options > Content also? Why don't you try that as well and do a days normal browsing and see what you run into. Maybe its just the sites I use when doing my normal browsing but I had lots of stuff that didnt work right when I tried disabling javascript. Webmail, my Banks bill pay, my Broker, etc...
"The trouble with quotes on the internet is you never know if they are genuine" ...Abraham Lincoln
iwod

Post by iwod »

JayhawksRock wrote:@iwod
Did you disable All Javascript items in Options > Content also? Why don't you try that as well and do a days normal browsing and see what you run into. Maybe its just the sites I use when doing my normal browsing but I had lots of stuff that didnt work right when I tried disabling javascript. Webmail, my Banks bill pay, my Broker, etc...

I did. And with No Script Solution as well. Apart from RSS Reader, and Twitter. Most things are fine, ofcoz Banks won't work but i dont do ebanking everyday. If ever. But Most of these site with JS disabled, they looked ugly.

I remember there was a Add On which removes, Twitter, Facebook and Pinterest or all other Social Javascript that has on nearly every site for Like, Pin or tweet etc. It was consuming A lot of unnecessary memory, i need to dig that up and test it again.

Try adblock with trackers blocked - almost just as fast, but you can actually use websites.

What does it mean to have trackers blocked? I googled but nothing meaningful come up.
I dont want to use adblock simply because i dont think consuming someone's content while blocking their source of revenue is ethical at all. To me that is no different from private software.
Azumi MUROTA

Post by Azumi MUROTA »

Azumi MUROTA wrote:Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Ubuntu; Linux i686; rv:21.0) Gecko/20130129 Firefox/21.0 ID:20130129055716

Although we have also mentioned before, CPU goes 100% then next Freeze Access Login to Facebook.
Is it because this is going to have a few minutes to read the Data from the people of Friends Facebook.
Number of Friends I have become so close to 1,200, I take more than 30 minutes to stabilize.
However, CPU is 100% stable and should not be Access to Facebook Chromium version 23.0.1271.97 Built on Ubuntu 12.04, running on Pear Linux 6.0 in (23.0.1271.97-0ubuntu0.12.04.1).
What this difference in the fraction of people how to handle Data of Friends.
Of course, if you resolve to Safemode, so you will not be able to use Add-ons, I get up trouble viewing posts.

This omission.
I am sorry.

Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Ubuntu; Linux i686; rv: 18.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/18.0 ID: 20130116232420
I will not become stable 100% CPU in about 1-2 minutes and viewing your Facebook Login with.
Srap

Post by Srap »

iwod wrote:What does it mean to have trackers blocked? I googled but nothing meaningful come up.
I dont want to use adblock simply because i dont think consuming someone's content while blocking their source of revenue is ethical at all. To me that is no different from private software.

You can block trackers without blocking ads, if that's what you want. You just have to disable the default EasyList filter that comes with AdBlock, than install Fanboy's Tracking List.
Sorry for my bad English. Even if there wasn't a mistake.
StinDaWg

Post by StinDaWg »

Use Antisocial list to block social buttons/scripts.

I'd recommend using EasyPrivacy instead of Fanboys lists. He's doing away with them and everything is getting merged into Easylist.
Grantius

Post by Grantius »

iwod wrote:

I did. And with No Script Solution as well. Apart from RSS Reader, and Twitter. Most things are fine, ofcoz Banks won't work but i dont do ebanking everyday. If ever. But Most of these site with JS disabled, they looked ugly.

I remember there was a Add On which removes, Twitter, Facebook and Pinterest or all other Social Javascript that has on nearly every site for Like, Pin or tweet etc. It was consuming A lot of unnecessary memory, i need to dig that up and test it again.

What does it mean to have trackers blocked? I googled but nothing meaningful come up.

By using NoScript you're stopping a ton of advertising as well, you realise?
Micro gaming box: AMD A10-7800 APU, 8gb RAM M350 ITX case (size of a book), Windows 10/Ubuntu
Tablet/Laptop: Asus Transformer T100, Intel Atom 2GB RAM, Windows 10 x86
Mobile:Xiaomi Redmi Note 3 Pro
nicolaos

Post by nicolaos »

iwod wrote:

Try 'Ad Block Edge' with only 'Antisocial' + 'Tracking protection' lists... You won't "hurt" anyone's -meaningful, at least- source of revenue.

Incidentally, I'm a little confused. Did you see a sudden increase that we should look for, too, or are you talking generally? Because you mentioned Chrome... I thought it was widely and well-known that generally Fx uses a lot more CPU than other browsers, almost for everything you do.
Azumi MUROTA

Post by Azumi MUROTA »

Azumi MUROTA wrote:
Azumi MUROTA wrote:Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Ubuntu; Linux i686; rv:21.0) Gecko/20130129 Firefox/21.0 ID:20130129055716

Although we have also mentioned before, CPU goes 100% then next Freeze Access Login to Facebook.
Is it because this is going to have a few minutes to read the Data from the people of Friends Facebook.
Number of Friends I have become so close to 1,200, I take more than 30 minutes to stabilize.
However, CPU is 100% stable and should not be Access to Facebook Chromium version 23.0.1271.97 Built on Ubuntu 12.04, running on Pear Linux 6.0 in (23.0.1271.97-0ubuntu0.12.04.1).
What this difference in the fraction of people how to handle Data of Friends.
Of course, if you resolve to Safemode, so you will not be able to use Add-ons, I get up trouble viewing posts.

This omission.
I am sorry.

Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Ubuntu; Linux i686; rv: 18.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/18.0 ID: 20130116232420
I will not become stable 100% CPU in about 1-2 minutes and viewing your Facebook Login with.

Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Ubuntu; Linux i686; rv:21.0) Gecko/20130131 Firefox/21.0 ID:20130131060007

It has now been repaired and improved.
Thank you.
Azumi MUROTA

Post by Azumi MUROTA »

Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Ubuntu; Linux i686; rv:21.0) Gecko/20130131 Firefox/21.0 ID:20130131060007

Is postscript.
There are times when you will be close to 100% CPU even when.
At that time you will be in a stable state if I'll make it calm to enable Javascript to disable temporarily Javascript.