Firefox 20 Downloads Disable Green Arrow Flash and History

Discussion about official Mozilla Firefox builds
Gingerbread Man

Re: Firefox 20 Downloads Disable Green Arrow Flash and Histo

Post by Gingerbread Man »

DancerDC wrote:I don't know how to access or change the code that you folks showed

Type about:config into the address bar and press Enter, then press the big button to bypass the warning. Use the search box to find the preference you want to modify.

If you want to disable the new download panel in favor of the old Downloads window, double-click the browser.download.useToolkitUI preference to set its value to true. If you want, you can then right-click the navigation toolbar, choose Customize, then drag the downloads icon onto the palette and click the Done button to get rid of it.

If you want to change how items in the Downloads window are cleared, configure the browser.download.manager.retention preference accordingly. A value of 0 will remove downloads as soon as they're completed, 1 will clear complete and cancelled downloads when Firefox is closed, while 2 will never remove any entries.
This preference has no effect on the Downloads section of the Library, which records a history of past downloads.
batfastad

Post by batfastad »

I really hope there is a way to prevent the recording of file download history with this new download UI very soon. I don't want to have to clear my browser history just to clear my downloads list automatically on browser close.

The downloads toolbar button doesn't even behave the way I expect the other "library" subset toolbar buttons (history and bookmarks), by opening into the sidebar. That would actually be quite a nice way of viewing downloads in progress, since there is no longer a status bar to display that info(!).
Also there's no menu bar added for downloads as there are for the other subsets of "library" (history and bookmarks).

I can sense another addon project here to re-instate previous Firefox functionality. At this rate I'll end up with more addons that patch in old Firefox features than for anything else.
kgbme

Post by kgbme »

Btw., here is what the Firefox download manager should look like (works in a tab, config options):

Image Image

Code: Select all

http://dmextension.mozdev.org/
pls disregard my (previous) disillusioned ff => 4.x posts, tnx. I've embraced it; apologies.
CyberGhost

Post by CyberGhost »

And this is why I love Firefox.

Customization!

Thanks for the tip!
Timvde

Post by Timvde »

To add some actual value to this old topic bump: https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=861613
Since about a month an a half, you can set browser.download.animateNotifications to false to disable the arrow animation. It's a hidden pref, so searching in about:config won't yield any results, you have to add it yourself.
CyberGhost

Post by CyberGhost »

Thanks Timvde,

Do you know if there is a way to increase the arrow dropdown list to more than 3 items?
Virtual_ManPL

Post by Virtual_ManPL »

Timvde wrote:[...]It's a hidden pref, so searching in about:config won't yield any results, you have to add it yourself.
reported it here as I don't like this politics... Bug 897930 - Unhide hidden preference for disabling green download flash animation added in bug #861613
Virtualfox persona
Tired of constant Firefox UI changes? XUL extensions are not working anymore? Try SeaMonkey, Waterfox Classic, Pale Moon.
TheVisitor

Post by TheVisitor »

Virtual_ManPL wrote:
Timvde wrote:[...]It's a hidden pref, so searching in about:config won't yield any results, you have to add it yourself.
reported it here as I don't like this politics... Bug 897930 - Unhide hidden preference for disabling green download flash animation added in bug #861613

Thanks for filing - Set to NEW for ya :lol:
the-edmeister

Post by the-edmeister »

^^ and a patch has already been submitted!

A mind is a terrible thing to waste. Mine has wandered off and I'm out looking for it.
COKEDUDE

Post by COKEDUDE »

Gingerbread Man wrote:
Bluefang wrote:This can be hidden with CSS (can't recall the class names off the top of my head).

Best applied with the Stylish extension.
https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/addon/stylish/

@namespace url(http://www.mozilla.org/keymaster/gatekeeper/there.is.only.xul);

#downloads-indicator-notification {
  display: none !important
}

I found an easier way so you don't have to install stylish.

None of the solutions worked (tried deleting localstore.rdf but the icon was still not appearing under Customize Toolbar) but I finally found a way to do it. Go to Documents and Settings\[Your Username]\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles and open up your profile (probably the only one listed). Open localstore.rdf with Notepad and search for "download." What you are looking for is listed under RDF:about="chrome://browser/content/browser.xul#nav-bar" It will be named downloads-button. Simply remove downloads-button, and save the file. When you restart Firefox it should be permanently gone.

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/951387
Caspid

Post by Caspid »

kgbme wrote:Btw., here is what the Firefox download manager should look like (works in a tab, config options):

Image Image

http://dmextension.mozdev.org/

"should" based on... your preference?

I personally think Download Statusbar is a much more elegant, nondisruptive solution.
"Know what I pray for? The strength to change what I can, the inability to accept what I can't, and the incapacity to tell the difference." -Calvin