Official 0.7 RELEASE CANDIDATES for Windows and Linux

Discussion about official Mozilla Firefox builds
Jubijub

Post by Jubijub »

oliversl wrote:Throbber in 0.7 points to texturizer.net instead of mozilla.org. It would be better to point to www.mozilla.org like all other FB releases.
Sorry for not posting here, my mistake. Here is the post:
http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?t=26838

Hum...I'm using Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.5b) Gecko/20030830 Firebird/0.6.1+

and the throbber also points to texturizer.net ...

This is quite an old change (I think it's since 0.6.1)...

and it's fine for me : mozilla.org hardly says anything about firebird, apart from pointing to texturizer for help, skins and extension...so I think it's better to link to the proper site directly, until the FB page is redesigned properly (it has changed recently, but it still has far less info than texturizer's)...

But this is off topic, sorry (the link in your message links to this post so I guess you made a mistake :D)
MORA

Post by MORA »

gids wrote:This is a fair point, if it is included, it should certinally be optional or downloaded, if a search for the plugin failed. Though, as lots of users have trouble installing plugins it would be good at least to have the option there IMHO.

It's unfortunate that the texturizer extensions-page doesn't contain links to these plugins. Even worse, that page says that extensions are plug-ins, but it fails to mention that not all plug-ins are extensions.
oliversl

Post by oliversl »

Jubijub wrote:
oliversl wrote:Throbber in 0.7 points to texturizer.net instead of mozilla.org. It would be better to point to www.mozilla.org like all other FB releases.
Sorry for not posting here, my mistake. Here is the post:
http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?t=26838

Hum...I'm using Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.5b) Gecko/20030830 Firebird/0.6.1+

and the throbber also points to texturizer.net ...

This is quite an old change (I think it's since 0.6.1)...

and it's fine for me : mozilla.org hardly says anything about firebird, apart from pointing to texturizer for help, skins and extension...so I think it's better to link to the proper site directly, until the FB page is redesigned properly (it has changed recently, but it still has far less info than texturizer's)...

But this is off topic, sorry (the link in your message links to this post so I guess you made a mistake :D)

If you have 0.6.1 (not a nightly), create a new profile and click on the throbber to check.

About the link, ooops, editting it right now :-D

About the offtopic, well, its 0.7RC related. So, I think its not OT. ;-)
R@F

Post by R@F »

MORA wrote:It's unfortunate that the texturizer extensions-page doesn't contain links to these plugins. Even worse, that page says that extensions are plug-ins, but it fails to mention that not all plug-ins are extensions.
Ok. it's not on the extension page, but it can be found on texturizer here
chrisgeleven

Post by chrisgeleven »

I read a post or web site somewhere that the devs are working on making plugin finding and installation much easier. I can't find the link right now, but believe me, this is one of the last major usability problems Firebird has before 1.0. It would make total sense to try and solve it once and for all.
Apple Macbook (Black) - 2.0 GHz, 2 GB RAM, 250GB HD, Mac OS X 10.6.x, Firefox 3.6.x
LenW

Post by LenW »

Very sorry to see that this release candidate still has the GDI leakage
problem on win9x. I thought that was "fixed".
See my bug report for details.
(I won't bother urging you to vote for this bug since it already has 121 votes.
Just send encouraging thoughts to the devs, I guess.)
shadytrees

Post by shadytrees »

It may have not been fixed but it is way less apparent than it was in a few month's ago nightlies.
LenW

Post by LenW »

hao2lian wrote:It may have not been fixed but it is way less apparent than it was in a few month's ago nightlies.

Can you describe a test that will show a difference?
I don't mean that as a challenge, just that it may help shed some light on
what is going on. My test didn't show me any difference between 0.6 and 0.7rc3.

Or are you saying that "a few months ago niglthlies" were much worse than
0.6 (which is dated 20030516)?

-Len
Jubijub

Post by Jubijub »

If you have 0.6.1 (not a nightly), create a new profile and click on the throbber to check.

About the link, ooops, editting it right now :-D

About the offtopic, well, its 0.7RC related. So, I think its not OT. ;-)

I do insist : I always create a new profile, as I took the habbit from testing Mozilla suite to delete my old profile and install firebird from scratch, with launching it with the -p flag to create a new profile...

Hence my profile is new, as it it always when I try a new version... ;)
shadytrees

Post by shadytrees »

LenW wrote:
hao2lian wrote:It may have not been fixed but it is way less apparent than it was in a few month's ago nightlies.

Can you describe a test that will show a difference?

Sorry, but no. It's just based on my personal experiences. I can pinpoint this to somewhere around August and September.
Mat

Post by Mat »

oliversl wrote:It would be nice to have the Flash plugin shipped with the 0.7 release.

No Dont!

Flash is the first thing i remove from my Opera Installation. (every Opera installer installs the Netscape Flash Plugin)
Enlightenment

Post by Enlightenment »

Well why not give people a choice. One clean .zip for powerusers, and another .exe installer for average users, which includes a flash installer.

I'm sure also powerusers would be interested in the latter.
Check out my website for FreeBSD related tutorials: www.fluffles.net/computers/freebsd (in Dutch)
alanjstr

Post by alanjstr »

mozilla.org does not have a deal with Macromedia that would allow them to ship a Flash installer. An official installer can and will set registry entries, but unless there is a deal, won't have java or flash directly "linked".
Former UMO Admin, Former MozillaZine General Mod
I am rarely on mozillaZine, so please do not send me a private message.
My Old Firefox config files
Zeron

Post by Zeron »

Bundling Flash is a bad idea because:

- Old Windows games that required DirectX use to force you to install it (even if it was an outdated version). Even if it (FB) checks for a newer version, why should I have to download Flash if I do not want it or already have it?

- It's a bad idea to bundle software in general, unless the user specifically asked for the extra software, don't assume!

What a good idea would be:

- Make installing plugins much easier! With MSIE, if it detects Flash on a page, it'll popup a dialog box asking if you want to install it. If Firebird could do this (instead of the roundabout page-to-page hopping for the plugin you need), users wouldn't need to worry (or care, even.)

- Make an "excellent" Firebird page. Yes, FB Help is quite good, but it isn't particularly well done for those who want to find -everything- they need for their new browser. In particular, plugins and where to download them, install them, etc. should be listed. Common problems people experience with the browser should be put in a "knowledge base," and a step-by-step guide to doing things that complete computer newbies want to know about should be on the site.

Granted, most of this is there, but not done properly. Instead of being more "Here's your themes, here's your extensions, now go away," there needs to be more end user-oriented and user-friendly content, in a layout and design that makes it simple to find what you need, new user or super user.

This wasn't supposed to be a critique on FB Help, but rather a pointer on how much we need a better site for the browser. Something that makes people want to visit it every day to find out what's new and what else they can do with their browser that they perhaps didn't know about.

Yes, I know, someone will probably tell me that it's not that easy, and that if I think it should have something like that so much that I should make a new site myself. And I would... If I had the time, assistance, and programming knowledge to make something that complex.

Anyway, my suggestion is the owners of Mozdev, FB Help, and all those other Mozilla sites get together and make ONE really good compendium.
whalesong

Re: Official 0.7 RELEASE CANDIDATES for Windows and Linux

Post by whalesong »

[quote="bengoodger"]http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/firebird/nightly/latest-0.7/

Builds now available for windows and linux.

Testing ASAP is appreciated.[/quote]

Anyone (but me, of course) seen this alert?

TypeError: namedItems.removeTab.nextSibling has no properties

I get it with both builds (gtk/gtk2) on startup (Debian Gnu/Linux testing)

(And why on earth do I see a post on bundling flash as the topic review???

Kind regards,

Ingo