Official 0.7 RELEASE CANDIDATES for Windows and Linux

Discussion about official Mozilla Firefox builds
whalesong

Re: Official 0.7 RELEASE CANDIDATES for Windows and Linux

Post by whalesong »

<...>
> (And why on earth do I see a post on bundling flash as the topic review???

forget about this last one, now I've seen "the light" - or at least the last post on the thread ;-)

Kind regards,

Ingo
MORA

Post by MORA »

R@F wrote:
MORA wrote:It's unfortunate that the texturizer extensions-page doesn't contain links to these plugins. Even worse, that page says that extensions are plug-ins, but it fails to mention that not all plug-ins are extensions.
Ok. it's not on the extension page, but it can be found on texturizer here

I know. I just think it's unfortunate that a page which handles extensions (and calls them 'plug-ins') doesn't also contain explicit links to 3rd-party plug-ins. Remember that the extensions page is directly accessible from Firebird's tools > options > extensions menu, whereas the page you are referring to is not.

Of course, this is all a bit off-topic, as it deals with the Firebird documentation, rather than the browser itself. Documentation is going to be increasingly important, as Firebird slowly progresses to 1.0, though.
amano

Post by amano »

Mat wrote:
oliversl wrote:It would be nice to have the Flash plugin shipped with the 0.7 release.

No Dont!

Flash is the first thing i remove from my Opera Installation. (every Opera installer installs the Netscape Flash Plugin)

make it optional.
Lyx

Post by Lyx »

if flash would be bundled together with firebird, i would never again use an official FB build, and only use unofficial ones(withouth flash).

To be honest, i even wouldn't download it, if it was optional but bundled. To me, a web-developer and web-veteran, flash is a sickness! No website should force visitors to download anything to view the site. If i would want to watch a movie, i'd use tv for that, instead of visiting a flash-site.

- Lyx
sensemann

Post by sensemann »

flash is not the devil, guys :D

anyways, it shouldn't be included right now, but it would be nice if there would be an option later when Fb has an installer - like for other things too.
mr magoo

Post by mr magoo »

lynx, flash is in 98% percent of browsers accross the world. how can you possibly be a "web veteran" and still hold this dated view on flash! It's an enhancement, that greatly adds to websites, and to be frank, if you dont like it, don't visit the websites that use it! Your suggestion that "No website should force visitors to download anything to view the site" is rediculous- are you saying that Acrobat files, Ms Word, Zip files, Rar files (the list goes on) are all evil, and shouldn't be allowed?

:S

ps- .7 rocks! thanks devs.
ogden2k

Post by ogden2k »

Why no release notes and why hasn't the Firebird page been updated?
Mat

Post by Mat »

mr magoo wrote:lynx, flash is in 98% percent of browsers accross the world. how can you possibly be a "web veteran" and still hold this dated view on flash! It's an enhancement, that greatly adds to websites, and to be frank, if you dont like it, don't visit the websites that use it! Your suggestion that "No website should force visitors to download anything to view the site" is rediculous- are you saying that Acrobat files, Ms Word, Zip files, Rar files (the list goes on) are all evil, and shouldn't be allowed?

My personal view on Flash (as an end user) is: it shows me annoying Ads and not much more

I've removed Flash from Firebird and dont miss it. Ok. Anand has their Benchmark graphs now as Flash movie for some reason.
The only nice thing about Flash are those funny movies. (and sometimes a presentation)
Nitin

Post by Nitin »

mr magoo wrote:lynx, flash is in 98% percent of browsers accross the world. how can you possibly be a "web veteran" and still hold this dated view on flash! It's an enhancement, that greatly adds to websites, and to be frank, if you dont like it, don't visit the websites that use it!

This is getting OT (but I'm not a moderator here and cant split the thread) - so I'll add my view on flash here too.

Personally, I've not found a single website that had useful content in flash. Most sites like the inquirer use flash for displaying ads. Anandtech does use flash for displaying benchmarks, which could have been better shown as JPG images! I suspect he wants his visitors to use flash, because he has more than two annoying flash ads on every page.

Regarding your suggestion of not visiting sites that use flash - i would if i could. I find ads annoying - are you saying I should stop visiting every site that uses ads? No, I use usercontent.css blocking in firebird. Similiarily I use flash blocking in firebird (by not downloading it)

Flash Click to View is a great extension, but I prefer not to download flash at all.
If you're not using Firefox, you're not surfing the web, you're suffering it.
Join the MZ folding@home team.
Nitin

Post by Nitin »

Back ON topic, 0.7RC suffers from this bug
http://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=220022

Password manager forgets password after logout and re-login (only for sites that popup a http authentication prompt)
http://bugzilla.mozilla.org/attachment. ... ction=view
If you're not using Firefox, you're not surfing the web, you're suffering it.
Join the MZ folding@home team.
shadytrees

Post by shadytrees »

ogden2k wrote:Why no release notes and why hasn't the Firebird page been updated?

It's still an RC, not an official release.
deviltje

Post by deviltje »

I don't think flash is a sickness... but it is being abused :(
would be nice if svg would be added to firebird
On the information highway, you're roadkill
Beartooth

VVDQ : which linux?

Post by Beartooth »

http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/firebird/nightly/latest-0.7/ offers two versions for linux, namely MozillaFirebird-i686-linux-gtk2+xft.tar.gz or alternatively
MozillaFirebird-i686-pc-linux-gnu.tar.gz

So which is RedHat9?? Or in what other way do I tell which to get??
adelphia address is a spamtrap; use karhunhammas (at) Lserv.com
slippytoad

They should both work on RH9.

Post by slippytoad »

One uses Xft font library to display nice anti-aliased fonts and the other doesn't.
Äkiidoll

Post by Äkiidoll »

mrjean wrote:For the last months my FB has been crashing when I visit www.wikipedia.org. I've reported this before but then no one else had this problem.

Does wikipedia.org still works smoothly for everyone else?

Win XP SP1
Clean install & new profile
No extensions

I hit about 15 links in the web site with no
problems. Seems stable.

Geck0 r0cks

Aebrahim G7 http://pryan.org/firebird/aebrahim/
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Win98; en-US; rv:1.5b) Gecko/20030903 Firebird/0.6.1+
A prisoner of Christ Jesus, by His stripes I was healed