Tab bar showing with only one tab open

Discussion about official Mozilla Firefox builds
ltsnow

Tab bar showing with only one tab open

Post by ltsnow »

I am using the latest nightly and just realized that the tab bar is showing with only one tab open. How do I turn it off? The problem just started with today's build. Yesterday's was fine.
kryptonite

Re: Tab bar showing with only one tab open

Post by kryptonite »

I have a suspicion it's a feature with the new bump up in version numbers.

I also don't like it. They did away with the "show tab bar when only one tab is showing" checkbox.

Edit:
https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=855370

I think it was this one.

I'm old-school. I have one unified stop/reload button. My tabs are below the URL bar and the general look of the UI hasn't changed much since versions of Firefox predating Firefox 10. I don't like empty space on my browser and having one tab open shows a lot of dead space.
Last edited by kryptonite on April 3rd, 2013, 12:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ltsnow

Post by ltsnow »

kryptonite wrote:I have a suspicion it's a feature with the new bump up in version numbers.

I also don't like it. They did away with the "show tab bar when only one tab is showing" checkbox.

Edit:

I think it was this one.

I'm old-school. I have one unified stop/reload button. My tabs are below the URL bar and the UI hasn't changed much since versions of Firefox predating Firefox 10. I don't like empty space on my browser and having one tab open shows a lot of dead space.

Yes, I just found the change. I, too, don't like it one bit. Lots of wasted space. I hope some smart person can figure out a way around this. You could probably hide the tab bar with some css code, but I don't want it hidden with more than one tab open.
kryptonite

Post by kryptonite »

The thing that gets me is that if Firefox is supposed to be so customizable, why remove the code, including the stuff from the about:config screen?

Something like this might have been useful in Firefox 3, but since we all know tabs exist, there's no need to jam it down our throats. Even IE, one of the last browsers to implement tabs has had tabs for quite some time.
Virtual_ManPL

Post by Virtual_ManPL »

They're too lazy to support it... calling it as maintenance costs and design choice...
Where's old good customizable Firefox... not stupid Chrome-like copy...
Virtualfox persona
Tired of constant Firefox UI changes? XUL extensions are not working anymore? Try SeaMonkey, Waterfox Classic, Pale Moon.
lithopsian

Post by lithopsian »

:sigh:
ltsnow

Post by ltsnow »

I've changed to the Aurora channel until someone comes up with a way to fix this.
joeg
Location: How can you be in two places at once, when you're not anywhere at all?

Post by joeg »

" Josiah Bruner [:JosiahOne] 2013-03-27 11:06:02 PDT
We should not allow the ability to hide the tab bar ever. In this day and age, browser have tabs, and hiding the entire bar is useless and in addition causes problems with the new Australis theme."

I've encountered a lot of arrogance in my life with Firefox over the years, but this takes the cake.
Although every day is Judgment Day, I nonetheless feel like a room without a roof.
ltsnow

Post by ltsnow »

JoeG wrote:https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=855370
We should not allow the ability to hide the tab bar ever. In this day and age, browser have tabs, and hiding the entire bar is useless and in addition causes problems with the new Australis theme."

I've encountered a lot of arrogance in my life with Firefox over the years, but this takes the cake.

Well said. Everyone should read your post over on bugzilla:

kryptonite

Post by kryptonite »

JoeG wrote:https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=855370

That is so anti-community, it isn't even funny. If it was a community thing, shouldn't be up to the community as to what to do?
joeg
Location: How can you be in two places at once, when you're not anywhere at all?

Post by joeg »

kryptonite wrote:That is so anti-community, it isn't even funny. If it was a community thing, shouldn't be up to the community as to what to do?
If I understand you correctly, you're referring to the decision to remove the choice to hide the tab bar, right?

If this is the case, would you please contribute your opinion to the bug in question? The developer who made this decision is monitoring the bug, and I think the more people who express displeasure, the greater the chance the change will be backed out.

Thank you.
Although every day is Judgment Day, I nonetheless feel like a room without a roof.
kryptonite

Post by kryptonite »

Like I said above, having one tab and a lot of dead space doesn't make sense from a cleanliness factor. To be honest, I couldn't even tell you what a modern "clean" version of Firefox looks like.

I realize that when using Nightly builds, things get changed on a daily basis. The removal of one thing may lead to the addition of several others. Sometimes, "part one" doesn't make sense until "part ten" is implemented which may be several weeks or months later.
joeg

Post by joeg »

Someone named Justin Dolske cut off the discussion on Bugzilla. My goodness.
kryptonite

Post by kryptonite »

JoeG wrote:Someone named Justin Dolske cut off the discussion on Bugzilla. My goodness.

It reminds me of Apple/Microsoft/whoever else big company. It looks like someone can't stand the respectful disagreeing and they're taking their ball and going home.

Here's what I had written:

Consider me a longtime user of Firefox who doesn't see the need to have one tab open when only one window is open. It feels like something from when tabs were first introduced. To me, it says: "We've got this cool new feature called Tabbed Browsing, so let's get people accustomed to it by making sure they always see a tab."

I keep my tabs below the URL bar, so when I see one tab, I also see a lot of dead space to the right of that tab. I keep my four buttons (back, forward, stop/refresh, home) to the left of the URL bar. It looks very similar to Firefox 10 and earlier. I put it this way because I could...and because I didn't like how two of the buttons were moved to the far right of the screen.

I do understand that part of the risk of voluntarily using Nightly is to have a different experience on a regular basis. Sometimes, changes might not make sense from a user-end until several weeks or months later when other changes land.

One of the things that I've always loved about Firefox is that users are allowed to change things as they wish using the "about:config" line. I've done many such modifications myself.

I respectfully disagree with the removal of the option not only from the front end, but also the aforementioned "about:config" screen.
SaphirJD

Post by SaphirJD »

Hmm.... Why o why i just feel the need a bit growing to change soon to Palemoon or Waterfox...

If Devs think they only have the knowledge of what is good and what is false then what is happening is mostly the death of their project.

Firefox was once such a great program, which had so many nice options for customization. Somehow i have the feeling that the Devs do slowly more care about Firefox OS instead of our much loved Browser, would also fit the try to make all simple and more basic, so the amount of work which has to go into the browser can put to an absolute minimum.

If that is the case and they really have not the power to support 2 Projects the same time to an equal Share, they should at least have the courage and letting Firefox Die officially. Would be better as that stupid Decisions which drives away users in masses.

Better Ending things on a level which is not at the bottom!

Just my few cents to that topic.